[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten The Lumia 950?

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I ordered an unlocked Lumia 950 by telephone from the U.S. Microsoft Store yesterday. It is due to ship 11-25, but suspect it will ship sooner as many if the AT&T customers had theirs shipped 5 days early.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
So, I just talked on the phone for an hour, and the phone was as cool as a cucumber in my pocket. Now I'm streaming TV to it while I work and it's still nice and cool. So I don't know what the deal was because earlier I was installing apps and surfing through menus and the phone was getting really warm. My iPhone used to get really hot when I would talk on the phone, so I figured that, if anything, would cook the 950. But, nope. Looking at the settings menu is apparently more taxing.
earlier on your phone was still setting up in the background I bet, glad to hear no heat issues yet !

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The only iPhones which weigh more than the 950 (150g) are the 6 Plus (172g) and the 6S Plus (192g). The iPhone 5 was only 112g, though it was also a much smaller device.

No, the 950 DOES have liquid cooling in it.

Microsoft Lumia 950 goes official with PureView camera, liquid cooling - GSMArena.com news

"The Lumia 950 is powered by Snapdragon 808 with liquid cooling and 3GB of RAM."

i wouldn't go by GSMarena official Microsoft sites doesn't mention cooling for 950 but it does for 950xl, I hope iFixit will do tear down soon so we will know for sure.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The only iPhones which weigh more than the 950 (150g) are the 6 Plus (172g) and the 6S Plus (192g). The iPhone 5 was only 112g, though it was also a much smaller device.

No, the 950 DOES have liquid cooling in it.

Microsoft Lumia 950 goes official with PureView camera, liquid cooling - GSMArena.com news

"The Lumia 950 is powered by Snapdragon 808 with liquid cooling and 3GB of RAM."

No it doesn't. Official teardown shows only 950xl has it. But that's because it needs it due to the chip heat issues. 950 doesn't need it.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm dying to know, so I'll keep asking - does the 950 using Camera record video with mono sound (just like my Lumia Icon does now with W10M)?? Please, someone check! Record a snippet of video, go into OneDrive app and check the file properties of the recording for audio. It's driving me crazy not to know. :)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

I'd like to thank all the ATT 950 beta testers. Hopefully the last few bugs will be taken care of by the time my XL ships.
And now we see Microsoft's plan. AT&T can't dare delay updates now, not with all these bugs needing fixed.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Real Users] My Lumia 950 Review

And now we see Microsoft's plan. AT&T can't dare delay updates now, not with all these bugs needing fixed.

Most of the system apps have been broken up into downloadable apps from the store, so that fixes most of that. As for actual updates, we need to wait for the 1st one to see who is pushing it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Pics + Vidz should start filling up soon, hopefully: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...621-pictures-videos-taken-my-lumia-950-a.html

Just wanted to interject the discussion with another reminder about the review thread; as some of you have already gotten your 950's:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950/394739-[real-users]-my-lumia-950-review.html

Looking forward to seeing some videos, sample pictures etc :winktongue:.

I can't wait for some in-depth reviews, but I guess the in-depth part does take some time...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So initial impressions:

The display is fantastic. It's impossible to see the individual pixels, so it's a display that's actually retina.

The iris scanner works flawlessly. The only odd thing is that it does the scan every single time even when there's a delay on password unlock.

Although I understand what Microsoft is thinking, too many settings are hiding in odd locations. There are a couple of GUI inconsistencies and low res graphics. The fuzzy icons in the Weather tile are kind of annoying.

The phone was warm the entire time I was messing around with the phone, tweaking settings and whatnot.

The battery is down to about 23% from a full charge after 4-5 hours of somewhat continuous use; 78.6% of that used by the display.

I'm really happy with the size; it's very comfortable. The form factor and matte back feels secure. Unlike some other phones I don't feel like there's a risk of it slipping out of my hands.

On the topic of liquid cooling, the 950 isn't equipped with it. Far too many tech sites simply repeat what they've read elsewhere and don't do their own research.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone was warm the entire time I was messing around with the phone, tweaking settings and whatnot.

The battery is down to about 23% from a full charge after 4-5 hours of somewhat continuous use; 78.6% of that used by the display.

I kinda gotta believe that initial heat reports are from a combo of background updating Apps and users whizzing all over the screens on their new toys all at once.

Do let us know if the heat continues when your usage settles into a normal pattern and also how battery life looks on a normal day.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So initial impressions:

The display is fantastic. It's impossible to see the individual pixels, so it's a display that's actually retina.

The iris scanner works flawlessly. The only odd thing is that it does the scan every single time even when there's a delay on password unlock.

Although I understand what Microsoft is thinking, too many settings are hiding in odd locations. There are a couple of GUI inconsistencies and low res graphics. The fuzzy icons in the Weather tile are kind of annoying.

I'm really happy with the size; it's very comfortable. The form factor and matte back feels secure. Unlike some other phones I don't feel like there's a risk of it slipping out of my hands.

On the topic of liquid cooling, the 950 isn't equipped with it. Far too many tech sites simply repeat what they've read elsewhere and don't do their own research.

I wonder if we need to hold on to first impressions for at least a day. For as long as I've been doing these TP updates, you really can't just grab the phone and use it especially if you are either downloading prior settings or updating an existing install. So the phone will feel warm while its configuring your device. Overnight is usually enough time for it to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3