Glance screen stays stationary, shouldn't it move?

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in the bugs section but maybe it isn't actually a bug. I noticed my glance screen doesn't shift around the screen like it did on my previous amoled phones. Doesn't it need to in order to prevent burn in on these screens? I usually set my glance to always on but don't want to if it isn't working right. Does anybody leave theirs on and notice if it moves?

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
First, No it is not supposed to move. Not a bug.

Second, I could be wrong, but I believe what you will hear is this: It is not an LCD screen, it is an AMOLED screen. Screen burn-ins are a thing of the past.

The difference is that LEDs simply change color, so for burn-in to happen, the LEDs would all have to become physically stuck emitting only one color. I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt that is even possible. When an LED gets toasted, you end up with a dead pixel. (little red or green dots).

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Second, I could be wrong, but I believe what you will hear is this: It is not an LCD screen, it is an AMOLED screen. Screen burn-ins are a thing of the past.

The difference is that LEDs simply change color, so for burn-in to happen, the LEDs would all have to become physically stuck emitting only one color. I'm no expert, but I seriously doubt that is even possible. When an LED gets toasted, you end up with a dead pixel. (little red or green dots).

Actually OLED screens are able to completely turn off each individual pixel. That's why blacks look so black. To display black on an LCD the backlight has to be on so blacks end up a dark shade of grey.

dosenfisch

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
When oled sub pixels are aging, they become darker. If the glance screen won't move, the used sub pixels will age faster then the rest and maybe it will become visible after some time. Whether this effect is really significant on the low level of brightness used, I don't know.

ericloewe

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

AMOLED does wear out... It's physically impossible for it not to wear out, in fact.

It worries me that glance doesn't currently move around, but I assume they'll fix this with an update soon.

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I know my 1020 amoled suffered noticeable burn-in in the short time I had it. The glance screen on that one though, did move around every couple seconds.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Yup. But for some reason whenever pixels die on me, they end up red or green. Maybe not an LED death. Maybe something else.

FWIW - turning off the LEDs to display back is also why they are so much better on batteries. :)

ericloewe

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I know my 1020 amoled suffered noticeable burn-in in the short time I had it. The glance screen on that one though, did move around every couple seconds.
My 925's screen has been abused over the past two years and it's still fine, with no visible burn-in. Glance moving around really isn't a problem. Glance fixed in one spot might be, though.

I once saw a 925 display unit that had been there a while. Man, that screen had the tiles all burned in, it was quite nasty.

Paul Rye

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I posted this in the bugs section but maybe it isn't actually a bug. I noticed my glance screen doesn't shift around the screen like it did on my previous amoled phones. Doesn't it need to in order to prevent burn in on these screens? I usually set my glance to always on but don't want to if it isn't working right. Does anybody leave theirs on and notice if it moves?

Just got a 950 & noticed this aswell (previously had 925).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes