Traded my 640 for an ATT Lumia 950

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Trades my Lumia 640 no contract phone for an att contracted 950. I'm very nervous about contract carriers so the fact I'm on one now when I haven't been in nearly six years is telling for how alluring the 950 is. So far if the price per month holds to be true, I'm going to love the arrangement.

The 950 is an awesome phone. The display, performance and even the design is excellent. I'm a minimalist so I like the matte plastic materials and finish. To me, a great phone just needs to work, and do so well. I don't need fancy metal and colors, or a curved design. Simplicity has its own elegance and I really like how Microsoft put this handset together.

I've had some quick battery drain issues in the first two days, but today it seems to be evening out. My one concern is that this version of Windows 10 feels less stable than 8.1. I preferred 8.1 because it felt polished and stable. I know we will get there with 10, but if this phone had 8.1 on it, it would be perfect. All in all, a great phone.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the still-small, 950-owner community. I'm loving exploring and learning a new device and OS. I find the OS is a dynamic, but not unstable system for any of the critical functions of a communications device. Calling, texting, and browsing have worked flawlessly, and most other functions are improving as I learn to adjust many available settings and preferences. I don't need the location services of most apps, nor the regular OneDrive interaction of other apps and functions. I don't need the Bluetooth radio to be on/searching by default, and I uninstalled every ATT app, along with others I don't use, like Facebook. I learned with my 1020 that these and other adjustments can affect battery life a great deal. I do want and need all advanced features of the 950 and Win 10, but I have learned and am learning to use them on my terms, as needed. I'm keeping my 1020, and probably at 8.1; but, I'm taking the deep dive into Win 10, without a life vest or other restraints, and expect to grow with and enjoy the new environment as much as I have every prior WinMobile version.

Best learning and exploring to all.

JohnBarry2

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Awesome based on what? How can you say a phone is awesome without backing it up with some metrics? This sounds like an opinion or more like evangelism. Do you have any facts to backup your claims of awesomeness?

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm keeping my 1020, and probably at 8.1; but, I'm taking the deep dive into Win 10, without a life vest or other restraints, and expect to grow with and enjoy the new environment as much as I have every prior WinMobile version.

That is what I have decided to do as well. I haven't yet made the leap to the 950, mainly because I have a lot of stuff going on right now and probably wouldn't have enough time to fuss with the initial setup and learning period. I've decided to wait until things calm down to make the jump, also hoping that there will have been some updates in the intervening time to smooth out some of the current annoyances.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Trades my Lumia 640 no contract phone for an att contracted 950. I'm very nervous about contract carriers so the fact I'm on one now when I haven't been in nearly six years is telling for how alluring the 950 is. So far if the price per month holds to be true, I'm going to love the arrangement.

I'm going to assume you got your 950 through ATT Next. Please ignore if you didn't.

The only contract you have with Next, is for your phone. Your service plan is not on a contract. You can also pay your phone off any time you want and there won't be any penalties.
The monthly ATT Next payment will stay the same, no need to worry. It's also interest free which is pretty awesome.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
That is what I have decided to do as well. I haven't yet made the leap to the 950, mainly because I have a lot of stuff going on right now and probably wouldn't have enough time to fuss with the initial setup and learning period. I've decided to wait until things calm down to make the jump, also hoping that there will have been some updates in the intervening time to smooth out some of the current annoyances.
That's smart. This is the first time I've been a day-1 adopter, and it's a special 1st-adopter challenge because of the stage/state of the Win10 mobile OS. I was READY and poised primarily because I needed a portable Groove device because I had just been transitioned to the Groove Music Pass the prior week. Also, while I love and am keeping my 1020, I was fed up with the limits and constraints of a 32gb device without a replaceable battery. I'm lucky that I do have plenty of time and patience; PLUS, I have 30 days to try it and return it to MSFT if I don't like it, or I decide I want to wait after all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes