I don't think super sensitive touch is coming to the 950.

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I might be wrong, but...
After doing some research, the super sensitive touch requires different screen hardware to normal displays.
If you look on the Microsoft site, all the phones with SST have it listed on the specs page. Those that don't (like the 640) just have "multipoint capacitive touch".
The 950 and 950 XL are listed as multipoint capacitive touch only.
I really hope I'm wrong, but it looks like they have just put normal screens in them, in which case there's nothing that can be done to enable SST.
Seems crazy, especially as with the iris scan and SST, you would have a distinct practical advantage over the competition with fingerprint readers in cold weather.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what SST is; I am not that familiar with the particulars of smartphone display hardware. But for what it's worth, touch input on the 950 seems very sensitive compared to the Lumia 920 I replaced (both running as-is with no screen cover).

In fact, my opinion is that the 950 is hyper-sensitive and often reacts to the very subtle perpendicular motion of my finger as I lift it from the screen, interpreting it as an ultra-fast flicking motion. The result is an unintended sudden harsh and extremely fast scrolling at the end[ of my intended scrolling. And of course I then need to correct it by scrolling back in the opposite direction.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
SST works with normal gloves, no need for those metal fiber finger ones. If you have three toggles in Settings > Extras > Touch, you probably have SST, unless it's greyed out.

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
The 950 currently doesn't have it. However, some people think it might come in a software update. I hope they are right, but I have the suspicion that the screen tech used in the 950 doesn't support it.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Also on Lumia 950 (0.29 build). I would compare the screen sensitivity to my Lumia 1020 on 'High'. Sometimes I don't even have to touch the screen and it moves.

I wondered how much battery the touchscreen was using for that level of sensitivity. In my Battery Use list of apps is "Gestures & Touch" with a gear icon suggesting it is a setting. It has <1% utilization so I'm not sure it's doing anything. However, I have never found "Gestures & Touch", only Touch, which has a single option for 'Vibrate when I tap the Navigation Keys'. Everyone else too, right?

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what SST is; I am not that familiar with the particulars of smartphone display hardware. But for what it's worth, touch input on the 950 seems very sensitive compared to the Lumia 920 I replaced (both running as-is with no screen cover).

In fact, my opinion is that the 950 is hyper-sensitive and often reacts to the very subtle perpendicular motion of my finger as I lift it from the screen, interpreting it as an ultra-fast flicking motion. The result is an unintended sudden harsh and extremely fast scrolling at the end[ of my intended scrolling. And of course I then need to correct it by scrolling back in the opposite direction.

I just opened a thread. It's exactly my problem. Unintended scroll when browsing or reading. Very annoying.

I want my lumia 950 screen less sensitive.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well this is another "specification amendment" case. Supersensitive touch *was* on the data sheet last week (I remember having read all lines, as I was checking if FM Tuner was on the list).

And just like FM Tuner, MS have silently removed these announced features from the official specifications.

For instance, from LumiaUK (official MS blog) Microsoft Lumia 950: tech spec, size, weight and features - Lumia UK

ps27.png

(I attach a screenshot in case they would amend that article too).

So far, they've removed FM tuner, SST from data sheet (and LTE band 6 for French dual SIM 950/XL).

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I just opened a thread. It's exactly my problem. Unintended scroll when browsing or reading. Very annoying.

I want my lumia 950 screen less sensitive.

Same here. It's hyper-sensitive to the point of requiring frequent opposite-direction correction.

That said, I think we are talking about two separate things in this single thread. I don't know what "Super-Sensitive Touch (SST)" is, but i don't think it is related to our complaints about hyper-sensitive scrolling behavior. In fact, since the people talking about SST in here are saying such a feature is absent on the 950, I'm fairly sure we're talking about (a) just plain over-tuned scroll sensitivity and then (b) something quite different called SST.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
SST was introduced with the 920: it's an option (that can be disabled) to allow the touchscreen to be more sensitive in order to be able to use it with (normal) gloves.

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I know, frustrating isn't it!
And with Windows Hello to unlock, it would be the perfect cold weather phone if the super sensitive touch was there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes