Switched from Lumia 950XL to Samsung Galaxy S8

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
So I bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 a few weeks ago. As a long time Windows phone user I thought I'd jot down some of the differences I've noticed so far. Some of these comments are regarding the OS, others regarding Samsung's implementation of the OS and others regarding the hardware but since all these things come together to form a single experience I didn't bother splitting them into those categories.

Pros

• The phone looks great and the build quality is high.
  • The camera is on par with my Lumia 950 XL
  • Samsung's "Always On Screen" is better than Windows "Glance Screen". Same basic functionality but more customizable and smarter notifications.
  • The OS is very customizable, with plenty of options for me in Settings
  • I can finally use the equalizer when using head phones (in Windows the equalizer only works when connected via Bluetooth for some reason)
  • Samsung's "Game Launcher" is reminiscent of Windows Phone 8 "Games Hub", which was a nice feature before they took it out.
  • I like Android's "app switching" interface. (switching between open apps). Very intuitive.
  • I can choose distinct ring tones for each sim card (I have a dual sim phone). With Windows I was able to choose distinct colours, but not ring tones.
  • Connecting to a guest wifi network is super quick. Not sure if it's just the speed of the processor or the way Android manages it.
  • Most of the apps I'm used to are also available on Android, plus some apps I wasn't able to get on my Windows phone.
  • I can finally install the swift key keyboard again. Although it's owned by Microsoft, they never released a Windows version which I find strange. This keyboard is far superior to the default Windows mobile keyboard.

Cons

• Long alphabetized lists in Windows give you the option to select a different letter of the alphabet to easily move down to the pertinent part of the list. See Windows start menu for example. The Android version of Groove music doesn't give me this feature and so I have to scroll through my music manually.
  • Playing music with Google assistant is less intuitive. On Windows phone I could just say "Play me some music". On Android I have to say "Play me some music on Microsoft Groove" and I've tried other variations of the same command but that's the only exact phrase that works.
  • Google Assistant doesn't do location based reminders. (for example, "remind me to deposit that cheque the next time I'm near TD Bank")
  • There are no live tiles. (My first Android phone had widgets but I don't know where to get the widgets on this phone)
  • I can't pin individual contacts to the start screen, and Samsung's "People Edge" doesn't work with contacts stored in Outlook.
  • There is no alphabetized list of "All Apps". Just a wall of icons.
  • The phone feels the same on both sides and there are buttons on both sides, so pulling it out of my pocket I have no idea which buttons are which and which is the front of the phone until I look at the phone, meaning I can't adjust the volume without looking at the phone. I'm sure over time I'll learn to distinguish between the various button simply on touch but putting all buttons on one side, would've made that easier.
  • Double tap to wake only works on the home button, not the entire screen. Presumably they've done this because there is the option to tap on a notification icon on the "always-on" screen, so this may not be fair to list as a "con".
  • When the phone rings there is no visual indication as to which sim card is ringing, so if it's on vibrate I have no way of knowing if it's a personal call or a business call.
  • The Android version of Outlook is slightly less convenient/intuitive.
  • The Android version of Groove doesn't play music videos.
  • Despite the customizability of Android, it doesn't make use of custom colours the way Windows does and there are generally less personalization options in terms of look and feel.
  • No sms auto-reply during "quiet hours"
  • There is no dedicated camera button.
  • No Edge browser available in the store.
  • I can't reply to text messages without opening the messaging app
  • Text message popups are much too short (only shows a few words) and disappear much too quickly (two seconds) and are not clickable.
  • If I'm reading a text message and another message comes in (from another person) there is no popup notification so I can't tell who it's from until I back out to the main message list and manually scan down the list to look for a little red number 1.

It's also got wireless charging and USB-C which I'm happy about but since I had those on my old phone too I didn't list them as "pros". I don't care about the fingerprint scanner on this phone just like I didn't care about the Iris scanner on my old phone because I never lock my phones. That's just annoying.

Overall I was quite happy with the phone initially but the more I use it the more I miss Windows mobile. I would say the best thing about switching to Android is the ability to install the swift key keyboard. That is probably the only thing I would miss.

Bottom Line

Even though I bought the most expensive Android phone money can buy, I miss my Windows phone. Being able to install various apps is also nice, but I would gladly give that up for a better phone experience with Windows.

Last edited:

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
The camera is on par? Have you look at the specs of the camera. That Camera on Samsung galaxy S8 specs don't even compare to the Lumia 950/XL Camera...... Im still waiting for Apple to catch up on Camera quality as well as manfucator that use android..... So far...... Sure there good but many people say over and over that the 950/XL has the better camera which I agree. That or older Windows Phones like the 1020 and so on. Sorry I cant think of all the names if I got it wrong my apologies :)

LightenSkies

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Here is an interesting comparison, but its between the SsgNote8 vs 950XL

Camera head to head: Lumia 950 XL vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

... !

Intresting fine you got there. Though since the author didn't use the full 20mp or 16mp instead did photoshoots at 8mp who to say the lumia 950/xl wouldn't have pass over the note 8 just saying not trying to knock the note 8 phone. My room mate just got a Note 8 and boy does that screen pop more so then the lumia 950 at least I think so but im like eh man i wouldn't spend over 900 dollars for a phone that just nuts :O.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The author did a head-on with then iPhone8 too.

Seems like camera lens tech plateaued two years ago.!!
It's only video and zoom lens on phones that's making progress

... !

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Well after reading that comparison I'd like to fully retract my comment about the camera being "on par". I just never looked at it that closely.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I just went from a 950XL to a Note 8 and My girlfriend moved from a 950 to an S8 so I will chime in on a few of your issues..

As far as customizations and personalizaton. Open Samsung themes and you can choose wallpapers, background colors and well obviously, themes.

As far as widgets. just long press in a blank part of your home screen and everything will shrink a bit. You will have 3 options at the bottom of the screen, just select widgets when it pops up at the bottom.

You can get all your contacts from Outlook transferred over with the Samsung Smart Switch app and then the Edge screen will work with any of them.

There is an alphabetized list of apps in in the settings/apps. Not the most convenient but it does exist.

There is no camera button but you can set it to wake the camera with a double press of the power button even when the screen is off. You can also use the volume button to take a picture.

Maybe a few of those will help you.

Some notes of my own (some of them address things OP brought up) ...

No live tiles sucks but the widgets for things like outlook and some apps are nice and allow you to scroll right within them.

The assistant situation is pathetic. Google assistant is good for search and that's all. Bixby is great for controlling your phone and accessing phone settings. She even makes calls and does reminders. Bixby seems better than Google to me. But neither 1 of them can announce and read texts like Cortana does on Windows Mobile. And of course, Cortana doesn't do it on Android either.

You also have things like Google Drive and Samsung Cloud both backing things up but good luck finding out which is backing up what. In addition, you have Chrome and Samsung Internet. Chrome opens from some apps, Samsung Internet opens from others and then other apps open their own version of a browser. So now imagine having multiple assistants, multiple cloud services and multiple browsers, and then imagine you install Cortana, OneDrive and soon Edge. Good luck finding 1 of each that does everything you want them to do because none of them do. Then you have to download another app just to have text messages read.

Android is a mixed bag of either good or absolutely terrible. Everything about messaging is a disaster, the phones will make a notification sound but not show you anything on the screen so you have no idea what just happened, and you have to run device maintenance every day or 2 to keep them running smoothly. Not to mention Samsung and Android shove so much crap down your throats along with crazy app permissions.

However, as far as the phones and specifically the Note 8, it makes my 950XL feel like my 640. It is that much faster, the screen is amazing, the build is beautiful and obviously the apps are there. Having said that, after trying about 8 or 9 reader apps, I haven't found 1 that's as good as NextGen Reader. And after trying a half dozen or so podcast apps, I haven't found 1 that allows me to customize the order of my subscribed podcasts like Podcast+Pro does on Windows Phone.

1 other thing. The Lumia cameras were and still are amazing, but it is pretty much accepted now that the S8 and Note 8 cameras as well as the Pixel Phone cameras are better. Regardless of the specs, the cameras in these phones are amazing regardless of how much us Windows Phone fans want to hold on to the 1 thing we used to be able to hang our hats on.

In the end it is a shame we are being forced to make this move. Windows Phone was and is amazing. But as much as I despise Google (and believe me I do) there is something refreshing about having an amazing phone, lots of new apps, tons of customizable options and launchers and even a Windows Central app that works because it sure as hell doesn't work on my Windows Phones. Outlook and OneDrive are there and Edge is coming. These are nice, fast phones and they are the best place for Windows Phone fans to go for now. Honestly, all we need is a Windows Mobile launcher and full Cortana integration and we might have a new place to call home.

Just to add that I am not crazy about the move to the taller/thinner screens these phones and the iPhones are moving to. I much prefer a screen like my 1520 had and hope that if MS ever did make a phone/phablet device, it would be more like that was especially if it is to be used for productivity.

Some links to camera reviews:

https://www.dxomark.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8-best-smartphone-zoom/

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Bes...lus-vs-Galaxy-Note-8-LG-G6-Xperia-XZ1_id98440

Last edited:

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I hate android. Yes you can custamice it but the wall of icons and the amount of ads in apps is just crazy. YouTube app plays more ads than video's and Instagram hides the ads as a post.
I am thinking of just taking 2 phones with me.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
About contacts, download Outlook, sign in with your Microsoft account, then open it - hit the Cog (Settings) - tap on your Microsoft account - then turn on "Sync contacts." Once you're set, you can use the people edge with your Outlook contacts.

By the way, try the Microsoft Launcher, the apps are Alphabetical, and you're able to click on the letter on the right side to get to the app quicker.

About ads, at least you have apps (I use AdHell and OGYouTube (needs to be side loaded) to remove ads from everything without the need of a VPN).

Good luck! I've had the S8+ since day 1 and honestly, mixed with a bit of Microsoft apps in, it's an S8+ Pro.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I agree with a lot of the problems with Android, and a lot of folks are forgetting stuff like, voice dictation is HORRIBLE and not accurate on android and not easy to invoke, with Cortana and windows it was almost spot on with low error rates and just 1 button! another thing is typing is not as fluid and accurate on android as it is with WM... and who ever said Windows doesn't have swift key is wrong, I've had it for the longest time, but just don't like using it.. yuck! I used an S8 edge for a week and gave it back and then used the LG G6 and its just sitting on my desk, I finally got myself an HP X3 and I luv it to death and oh that beautiful screen! its just stunning!! the size of my X3 is just perfect in that "goldie locks" level... another thing I can't take is like what another poster mentioned is the bloody ads! videos you can't skip or intrusive ads you can't escape, android is just a bloody advertising device that can make phone calls! plain and simple! no I will stick with my X3 till it stops working completely!

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't want to migrate my contacts to Samsung contacts because I want to keep them in my Microsoft account so they sync with the contacts on my desktop and all my other devices. So they have to stay in outlook. I did find that sync button so the dialer and messaging app can use my contacts, but the people edge still doesn't work. It appears to work initially but within a few minutes the people I've selected just disappear. Others have reported this same issue.

By the way, unrelated to the phone issue, but why do I not get email notifications when people reply to this thread? I created this thread, I should be automatically subscribed. What's the trick? EDIT: Well I guess the subscription is not automatic. That's kinda weird, but anyway I figured it out.

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I hate android. Yes you can custamice it but the wall of icons and the amount of ads in apps is just crazy. YouTube app plays more ads than video's and Instagram hides the ads as a post.
I am thinking of just taking 2 phones with me.

You wanna bring what chased you away from the beloved WP over to android?? Devs and content creators gotta be paid and thats how... you dont want that then they wont make apps

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Your text message or notification pop ups are tiny and dissappear too quick because you have 'Edge Lighting' on. Go into Settings and turn that off and your notifications will be much bigger and stay much longer.

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Your text message or notification pop ups are tiny and dissappear too quick because you have 'Edge Lighting' on. Go into Settings and turn that off and your notifications will be much bigger and stay much longer.

Thanks for the tip! I've disabled edge lightning. Now I wait for a text...

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Another con I just noticed. There is no voice mail button in the dialer. Is it because I have a dual sim phone? When I ask Google Assistant to open voice mail it opens the voice mail for my first sim card, but I don't know how to open voice mail for my second sim. Besides, I don't have to have to talk to my phone every time I want to check my voice mail. There should be a button.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Another con I just noticed. There is no voice mail button in the dialer. Is it because I have a dual sim phone? When I ask Google Assistant to open voice mail it opens the voice mail for my first sim card, but I don't know how to open voice mail for my second sim. Besides, I don't have to have to talk to my phone every time I want to check my voice mail. There should be a button.

Long press on the number 1 is the closest thing you'll find. Most Android phones are the same as far as I'm aware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos