Empty shell laptop for lumia 950

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am thinking about creating a prototype of one first, but who would buy it.. all parts will be 3d printed and the screen will be a genetic LCD panel, and I will for now just buy a cheap keyboard and track pad to install in It, but once I have done that I will make a Kickstarter to fund it, would you buy one?

Do you want me to make a 3d model of it, for you to view

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
and the screen will be a genetic LSD panel

You may want to consider a generic LCD panel instead. Regular LSD is a rather dangerous drug, and I'm not sure how genetic altering would help.

;)

Okay, seriously, this is something I've thought of myself. I even read an article back when Continuum had first been "revealed" by Microsoft how it was expected that such an accessory as a laptop shell would be a definite thing to be hitting the market. I would imagine there are companies that have already thought about this niche and are waiting to see how it plays out.

Give this some serious thought about the design. It needs to be something that:
1. Display works well with the Display Dock or USB-C to HDMI adapter.
2. Display works well with MiraCast
3. Keyboard/Trackpad should be Bluetooth.

Personally, what I'd like to see is a shell where the Monitor actually includes the display dock (of sorts, not the official one), and this dock would be like a series of ports along the edge of the monitor. A USB-C port to plug the phone in that would allow the phone to be automatically connected to the monitor and also have access to the USB ports.

It would be great to have a large enough battery in the monitor casing to power the monitor and charge the phone for an extended period of time.

Well, ports and battery in monitor casing or keyboard casing, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

This could be something similar to a Surface tablet type setup with a "bring your own cover and/or keyboard" or it could be more like a laptop or 2-in-1.

There are so many ideas for something like this.

As far as if I'd buy one, well, I'd have to buy a 950 or XL first, or something else later that supports it. So, not yet.

Something to think about though, if it supports Miracast, (by adding the Miracast Adapter behind the display) then you can use a non-continuum Windows 10 Mobile device with it as display mirroring with bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. This could increase the productivity of many people now, especially a 1520 user, or even a 640 or 640XL user. I could see myself using something like that with my 640 while on vacation and wanting to sort through photos for emailing to family, or work on emails.

Since Continuum basically only supports 1080p for now, that's all the resolution on the LCD you should need. That should keep the cost down considerably. I wouldn't mind having an 8" or 10" LCD with MiraCast and keyboard/mouse/trackpad for my 640 even. I'd pay for something like that I'm sure.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You may want to consider a generic LCD panel instead. Regular LSD is a rather dangerous drug, and I'm not sure how genetic altering would help.

;)

Okay, seriously, this is something I've thought of myself. I even read an article back when Continuum had first been "revealed" by Microsoft how it was expected that such an accessory as a laptop shell would be a definite thing to be hitting the market. I would imagine there are companies that have already thought about this niche and are waiting to see how it plays out.

Give this some serious thought about the design. It needs to be something that:
1. Display works well with the Display Dock or USB-C to HDMI adapter.
2. Display works well with MiraCast
3. Keyboard/Trackpad should be Bluetooth.

Personally, what I'd like to see is a shell where the Monitor actually includes the display dock (of sorts, not the official one), and this dock would be like a series of ports along the edge of the monitor. A USB-C port to plug the phone in that would allow the phone to be automatically connected to the monitor and also have access to the USB ports.

It would be great to have a large enough battery in the monitor casing to power the monitor and charge the phone for an extended period of time.

Well, ports and battery in monitor casing or keyboard casing, I suppose it doesn't really matter.

This could be something similar to a Surface tablet type setup with a "bring your own cover and/or keyboard" or it could be more like a laptop or 2-in-1.

There are so many ideas for something like this.

As far as if I'd buy one, well, I'd have to buy a 950 or XL first, or something else later that supports it. So, not yet.

Something to think about though, if it supports Miracast, (by adding the Miracast Adapter behind the display) then you can use a non-continuum Windows 10 Mobile device with it as display mirroring with bluetooth keyboard and trackpad. This could increase the productivity of many people now, especially a 1520 user, or even a 640 or 640XL user. I could see myself using something like that with my 640 while on vacation and wanting to sort through photos for emailing to family, or work on emails.

Since Continuum basically only supports 1080p for now, that's all the resolution on the LCD you should need. That should keep the cost down considerably. I wouldn't mind having an 8" or 10" LCD with MiraCast and keyboard/mouse/trackpad for my 640 even. I'd pay for something like that I'm sure.

Damn my lack of proof reading ;) haha

Thanks for the feed back,

I thought that Microsoft would of done something as well, it would of sold it more for me anyhow, but whatever the case (pun not intended) I see a open market for it, and I want to take it and even if it does not pay off, I have something for my self

Design wise
The USB C to HDMI I had a bit of trouble with but came to a cheaper but more effective Idea, that was make the trackpad the phone its self, it would slide into the track pad area an act as the trackpad for the laptop, but then I came to think about flip screes for the phone and how that would work side tracked idea's, This is only really going to be for the Lumia 950 but having the trackpad as the housing for the phone would be easy to change for each phone, It could be adaptive for a universal type of laptop shell

2) I think doing that would add to the cost and design, but I will think about it

3) nope they will be connect to the phone By wires saves battery and is faster

I got to phone up battery markers to see if they can custom design a battery for the shell, this will put up the cost but that's okay, as long as I stay around 100-500 mark for the product it should be okay, It is custom after all, The screen is going to be 1080p no more, to much battery drain going any higher, I want this to at least 1day or more, I got some old laptops that I can take parts from a reuse them, For the prototype I am just going to use the mains to power it for now

And your right There tons of idea but I need to just make one thing at a time, and build up from there

Ps I am dyslexic so sorry about any errors in wording :)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Is a hardware track pad redundant since the phone screen turns into a track pad?

I had thought of that myself, then realized that if I took a call, the phone as a track pad would not allow me to keep working while I was on the phone. I think I'd prefer a separate solution. Perhaps best if I just carry a mouse than can be plugged into the shell. Having USB ports built into the shell would be a real nice idea. Or I could just carry a Bluetooth mouse in my bag that carries the shell.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about creating a prototype of one first, but who would buy it.. all parts will be 3d printed and the screen will be a genetic LCD panel, and I will for now just buy a cheap keyboard and track pad to install in It, but once I have done that I will make a Kickstarter to fund it, would you buy one?

Do you want me to make a 3d model of it, for you to view

Have you consider just get one of those old Motorola Atrix lapdock and do some modification on the connector. I did saw one person use that for Raspberry Pi W10 IoT, so that could be done to Lumia continuum too.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Have you consider just get one of those old Motorola Atrix lapdock and do some modification on the connector. I did saw one person use that for Raspberry Pi W10 IoT, so that could be done to Lumia continuum too.

I checked it out but man that case is ugly but it would be easy to break down and replace the case with a 3d printed one, less work as well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb