Why *haven't* you bought a Lumia 950?

MBytes

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I for one was wanting the 950XL. I received the email stating it was available, but when I went to the website to order, it only showed "email me when available". I have become increasingly annoyed with Microsoft's handling of this. Another thing that is bothering me is the lack of apps. We're told wait until 8, 8.1, 10 and they will be more available. This doesn't seem to be the case to me. As of now, I waiting to see Samsung's Galaxy S7 Edge Plus before I make up mind whether or not I will continue with Microsoft. I have been a Windows Mobile user since way back in the WM5 days.

The problem with e-mail system like this, is that:
1- E-mail isn't instant, there is 0 guarantee that the e-mail will arrive immediately or in 1h. It isn't instant messaging.
2- When the servers starts sending e-mails. It sends 1 at a time, or a in "small" batches. It won't send a million just like that. Meaning by the time the e-mail for you is sent, it might be out of stock. On a large forum I participate in, sending e-mails to all users takes so much time, some get it after 2 days from when it was sent. Now yes, Microsoft Store has many more servers, and more powerful one, with better internet connections. But, then again, you probably have a lot more demand.

So, the only way is to check the page several times a day, and hope for the best.

But I fully agree with you, it has been what, a month since it is out of stock?
Like come on! It is like Microsoft still processing it's pre-orders, and only getting 5.

'No one' is buying a Windows Phone. We would like to be hugely successful, but that is not the reality, AND it is a device you need tp pay in full for most people to have it. So I don't get it.

Tigerinc

May 29, 2014
Visit site
1. Current 2+ year old Nokia Lumia 1520 is still running well on WP Denim.
2. Not wanting to step that far down in screen size. Leaning toward a 950 XL honestly.
3. Santa brought me a Surface Pro 4 :love: which has been keeping me busy. Loving W10 Pro on this rather mobile device!
4. Will probably pick one up for work in the coming months.
5. Windows 10 mobile is so new that I haven't had time to learn it. Holidays are a busy time.
6. Let's be honest, we all want one.

:cool:

MemoHK

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what people at Microsoft are smoking, but they should change the dealer. Seriously.

I currently have a Nokia Lumia 635 and is amazing and I want to upgrade, but besides the "outdated" Nokia Lumia 925 there is nothing to upgrade to. They all are just ugly, ugly phones, design wise.

Companies did an amazing job designing their phones 10 years ago. What happened?

How can Microsoft have the nerve to sell this?
microsoft-lumia-950-2.jpg

nokia-e7-1.jpgimage_original_53503369.jpg
That's it. I'm buying the Lumia 925. It is just too damn gorgeous! :D

Attachments

• nokia-lumia-925-1.jpg
    nokia-lumia-925-1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Sums it up well. I was all ready to get a 950XL back when they were announced. By the time the phones were actually released I had almost no interest in getting one. Coupled with the disappointing Windows 10 Mobile experience this has led me to seek solutions with other platforms.

Yep. I actually ended up purchasing an iPhone (after buying and returning one last summer) and I am pretty happy with it, especially the app de-gap experience. But I am still a Windows phone lover and I am looking forward to seeing what Panos P does with a mobile device. I can see him now, stalking some stage in the fall of 2016, saying stuff like "You want to play games on your phone? Eh, ok here's hololens Call of Duty Super Black Ops that pops out of your phone and plays right on your eyeballs! You want to use it as a pc? No problem, wave your hands over the device and say "now you're a pc!" and ok it's a pc. Want two phones? Snap it in half, it's two phones!" , etc.

ETA: Still miss Glance and Live Tiles though...so much!

MarkAllett

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Nokia Lumia 635 and is amazing and I want to upgrade, but besides the "outdated" Nokia Lumia 925 there is nothing to upgrade to. They all are just ugly, ugly phones, design wise. Companies did an amazing job designing their phones 10 years ago. What happened?

It's true. The phone needs to look good even when it's switched off. It needs to be something that people want even if they can't justify it. It needs to be an object of desire. The sort of design that will turn heads and have people asking what it is.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not on Verizon. The Amazon Kindle app doesn't work for crap. I have nearly 400 books there, so unless that gets fixed, WP is a non-starter. I'm sure the phone is awesome. I have the Icon and 715. Both great. Both sit since Kindle is broken and that's my reference library. Oh yeah, Amazon Prime music. Movies, not there. Not there. Also have some stuff on Google books, since their reader is better than Kindle. I guess for me the App Gap is real.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
For me its the design ( like the design of the 830 and the 930 ), the high price and the instability. So i am putting my self on hold, for that kind of money it should be perfect and for me it ain't.

TuxedoST

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hah the 925 IS a gorgeous device. I still have it, and I still long for another that looks as good.

I do not own a 950 (and won't) because in my opinion:

It's an ugly device
It's a "me too" product! I can get that with Android (and have)
The UX is bad
The UI is ugly
WP lost all of its charm
The app gap - Sorry, it is real for some of us
I can get all of the MS apps I had on Android. They are actually better on Android
They ruined it for developers
I don't see much momentum being put into the OS/Devices by MS

Changing the entire development structure every major version of the OS was a poorly thought out idea. Silverlight to the newer .net API, now they've changed it all again between 8.1 and 10 and you have UWP. Each time, the animations got worse, timing of animations changed, things went linear instead of a nice ease in/out, the design and layout got worse......most people don't notice these things. I happen to.

I LOVED Windows phone, and had been a big proponent of it all the way from my HD7 to my HTC Arrive, and finally my Lumia 925. WP7 was gorgeous, fast, fluid, and actually had some stand out features, limitations of parts of the OS not withstanding. WP8 brought some sorely needed fixes, but also removed some of what was so astonishing about WP7. WP8.1 removed more and as far as I can tell with my experience in W10M, everything that made WP, WP is now gone. The only thing really left is the start screen, and even that is a shell of its former glory with poor margins, less (no?) true live tiles, and sluggish responsiveness.

This is just a rundown of my own personal opinion, I'm sure yours will differ.

asturides

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Too expensive. MS has to be more agressive, they can't price the phone the same as the Galaxy S6, even when I love Windows Phone and dislike Android, I'd feel dumb getting the 950 instead of the S6 (if I had the money) because W10M is still buggy, 950's build quality is worse, less apps (though everything I need is on the Win Store), etc. Also the 950, while great, it's not the WP I was "dreaming" of. I don't like on screen keys on flagships, big bezels (930 was way better), lame colors (MS got the cyan back on the 640 series and now is ditching every 'cool' color?)

I have a Lumia 925 that's about to die, I was planning on importing a 930 but price hasn't drop that much and lack of warranty is something I'm not willing to go through. So I just ordered a 640 that I'm expecting to get tomorrow (I could buy 6 of these with the price of the 950). Maybe some months (or even a year) later if I find a great deal on the 950 I'll get it.

Penny Nichols

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Still digging my L830. Still getting compliments on it. Could be faster, but after checking the 950 out in the AT&T store, somehow my 830 is faster in some ways. No excuse for that. Plus no FORWARD function on Edge browser. No excuse for that either on mobile.

miketer

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Reason for me not buying a 950 yet, even if I like it is
A) can't afford it now, as I bought an iPhone and a Xbox One for my wife and son respectively for Christmas.
B) if price was a little lesser, I wouldn't be waiting to win through a draw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon