Battery life in L950

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Today used the phone for 5 hrs of mobile hot spot...lot of calls and what's app...reading the wp and wmpu forums....little games and all ...with 20 apps running in background and windows hellow and hey Cortana active and ya listened to 1 hr music in the car via Bluetooth battery lasted me 15 hrs I think they great...my android lg G4 needs to charge twice to do same thing i guess

northernpipeman

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Worse battery life in a smart phone that I have ever owned. My 900 and 1520 were better. The 1520 that is two years old still crushes this thing and that battery is significantly worst then when I bought it. I have to charge it 3 - 4 times a day during moderate use. Just glad it has the quick charge, so it really has been okay since I usually have the 30 or so minutes to recharge here and there. The battery life has been my biggest disappointment of the 950, besides the general lag on everything on the device. I guess coming from the beast 1520 i expected some of this, but not this bad. Dont get me wrong besides these two issues it is a great phone. I dont buy a phone to turn everything off. Now I do turn off stuff I dont use normally. I really do like the 950, it is way better than my first impressions from the leaked screen shots.

You may have stated earlier, but do you have the most recent insider build and FM?

Standby for mine has been great, although it does use a lot of battery when browsing, etc - I get ~10% per hour to see me through a day, but is definitely a bit better on wifi. Streaming radio or video uses the battery at 20% pre hour, so I don't really do that now. Overall, it seems ok, just not as well optimised as WP8, which I guess is due to being linked to the desktop version of Win10. Hopefully it will get better in future builds.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Out of interest, what is the realistic battery life like on the S6? Reviewers seem to think its fantastic.
All reviews says that S6, IP6 absolutely best and fantastic in every aspect: specs, performance, screen, design, battery, camera, even when it is not even close to some. Ratings are the most fun part of the aspects 9 to 10 to other phones. And then you see, Lumias best flagship or other non sellout phone, company gets bad or not so good reviews, or when well known Lumias camera gets only 7 to 8 max, and says it is only decent, pretty good, when for S6, IP6 it is perfect/best on the market. And the other bad thing about reviews is that reviews copy other reviews, or who knows, maybe they read what is told.

Don't like na?ve people who heartily believe in those reviews and don't have their own opinion or knowledge.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't like na?ve people who heartily believe in those reviews and don't have their own opinion or knowledge.
The 950 was shipped with 10586.0, and I'm not sure if that version was ready for review. With so many people talking about improved battery life (among other improvements) with the last update alone it's no wonder that reviewers reported bad battery life.

So yeah, many reviewers said the same things about the 950, but that's because they all got the same premature OS version in November.
Things have improved since then, but most people don't know that.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
A lot of reviews were made after firmware and .29 even .36 and still said absolutely the same, that it is bad, when other flagships last about the same, other thing, most of the reviewers not even bother with updates, some of them not even familiar with W10M, because it is new or because mostly does only Android and iOS.
Even though, battery was the least concern in those reviews, most said it is bad and nothing special, and copycat about design.

In my understanding Microsoft did not send their new flagships to reviewers, so that is the answer about review scores and ratings.

ArmandsFM

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I do not know, it looks like there is some kind of parallel reality with battery capacity when I read this thread. Apart from the first 2 days of heavy drainage when played with new toy, thing now lasts 40+ hours if needed (but for this you have force yourself not to plug the thing into socket overnight), so no more concerns of running out of juice. Not really switching anything off for needs to prolong battery. Plug in for 10-15 minutes and you are good to go further. In terms of battery live - I am really happy, about charging times I am ecstatic.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I do not know, it looks like there is some kind of parallel reality with battery capacity when I read this thread. Apart from the first 2 days of heavy drainage when played with new toy, thing now lasts 40+ hours if needed (but for this you have force yourself not to plug the thing into socket overnight), so no more concerns of running out of juice. Not really switching anything off for needs to prolong battery. Plug in for 10-15 minutes and you are good to go further. In terms of battery live - I am really happy, about charging times I am ecstatic.

What build are u running?

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I am running 586.36 with latest firmware. i am getting a good 48 hours battery life. i cound that 8-Zip kills the battery quickly. I started that once then closed it and it drained the battery quickly.

jI turn cellular data off unless I need it. wi-fi does not seem to harm battery life.

Grant Taylor3

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I tend to read twitter via the people hub and msn news mostly. i charged my phone 24 hours ago and it is saying I have 29% battery left or around 11 bours.

fly_branch

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I have been doing my own testing. I did one last full reset on the phone and started from scratch. Battery life is great with cellular data turned off and using wifi. Anytime I turn cellular data back on even on WiFi, the phone gets hot and battery starts draining. So, in my opinion, there is a cellular/At&t/hardware issue that is the problem. In addition, the next battery killer and the only thing that makes my phone get hot and drain battery is messaging/skype app. Hope this helps. I am leaving cellular data off from now on and only using in small chunks when I need it.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I have been doing my own testing. I did one last full reset on the phone and started from scratch. Battery life is great with cellular data turned off and using wifi. Anytime I turn cellular data back on even on WiFi, the phone gets hot and battery starts draining. So, in my opinion, there is a cellular/At&t/hardware issue that is the problem. In addition, the next battery killer and the only thing that makes my phone get hot and drain battery is messaging/skype app. Hope this helps. I am leaving cellular data off from now on and only using in small chunks when I need it.

I've experienced this exact same thing with my AT&T 950. MUCH better with cell data turned off. Unplugged my phone this morning around 10am to show my wife a picture that I took yesterday and then set it on my desk. The latest IP .63 fixed the majority of the heating issues I was having but not the battery drain. It sat there until a few minutes ago (now 5:30pm) and it's now at 67%.

jayramphone

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I am still on .29 firmware and the battery is just getting better and better with time, i am about a couple of months into ownership now.

wp_ss_20160130_0002.jpg
wp_ss_20160130_0003.jpg

Thats about 41 hrs (it's now 1:42AM on Saturday morning in the UK, with my last charge at 8:45AM on Thrusday morning) and still over 30%. I am a moderate user I would say.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys a bit confused here...iam a non insider on my Lumia 950 ds...i have latest firmware but os is stuck on 29...since insider ver have gone way ahead...should I join insider to get latest os ? Is it worth it

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
JAYRAMPONE - i want that phone, thats amazing battery life, ive been reading loads about battery drain as mine was lasting til about 10pm on a moderate day (thats a bit of browsing facebook, emails, and a few whatsapp messages and it would drain at 14% per hour) ive not stopped messaging and skype in the background and i also disabled skype video and today at 10.08pm the phone was off charge at 6.58am and its at 45%. and i made somephone calls. im amazed its lasted so long, i kept flcking the screen to check.

Tiiger88

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys a bit confused here...iam a non insider on my Lumia 950 ds...i have latest firmware but os is stuck on 29...since insider ver have gone way ahead...should I join insider to get latest os ? Is it worth it

I do not recommend. It's nice feeling to get lots of updates, but as long as i know, there are still problems with newer OS updates also. If your phone works well (i'm also on .29 and its perfect) i might consider to get updates as non insider :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2