05-22-2016 08:00 PM
51 123
tools
    why microsoft sell stuff without quality control
    Cuz everyone who worked at Nokia has been fired.
    05-13-2016 02:47 PM
    It's hard to consider a 950 a "real working device" when I pull the notification bar down and it freezes the device. That's absolute trash from Microsoft.
    REALLY? in the most current build? My 640XL runs win 10 without any problems and it has great battery life and no freezes. I can't image 950 being that bad. Also cuz i am getting one!

BTW i am using an iphone 6 right now, the battery life was pretty bad the first few days because i was installing so many things and things were running in the background. Once i fine tuned it, it works good, one day battery life.
    05-13-2016 02:49 PM
    phones are more powerful than some midrange computers.
    Not even close. I'm willing to bet that even 5 years old computers are faster than that apple thing.
    05-13-2016 03:32 PM
    REALLY? in the most current build? My 640XL runs win 10 without any problems and it has great battery life and no freezes. I can't image 950 being that bad. Also cuz i am getting one!

BTW i am using an iphone 6 right now, the battery life was pretty bad the first few days because i was installing so many things and things were running in the background. Once i fine tuned it, it works good, one day battery life.
    I wouldn't make it up. This is why it was bashed in reviews. Microsoft actually shipped a device this buggy. I don't understand how a company known for software makes things this bad now. It's been years, it's time to wake up to the roses.
    Timbre70 and curseoftheninja like this.
    05-13-2016 04:15 PM
    Not even close. I'm willing to bet that even 5 years old computers are faster than that apple thing.
    I have a 6 year old Acer Windows laptop, my iPhone runs circles around it. Apple doesn't do everything right, but performance and battery life on the plus models is out of this world.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-13-2016 04:17 PM
    It takes days to get any phone working optimally, and weeks to get used to it. Judging a phone and operating system in 8 hours is pointless.
    Noob1ee and gumbedamit like this.
    05-13-2016 04:28 PM
    It seems to have been a thing since Win 8 that when the OS is new the first few hours (up to days) of use it seems like the OS does a lot of CPU intensive "stuff". I noticed it on my SP2 and then on the SP4 when they were both new. Given that Win10M is supposed to be the same (more/less) OS regardless of device I wouldn't be at all surprised that this frustrating behavior carries over to a new phone.

I'm not saying that should be the case for any new Win device - and especially not for phones - but it also wouldn't surprise me if all the people who say "let it settle" are correct in one way or another.
    Timbre70 likes this.
    05-13-2016 07:08 PM
    within. 8 hours of receiving it I have decided to return it
    Good call. The 950 was for the fans(tm).
    curseoftheninja and cracgor like this.
    05-15-2016 07:59 AM
    actually i have a lumia 930 that has broken microphone.. i dont know if its a software or hardware prob.. i can record my voice thru onenote but on voice record it doesnt record
    05-16-2016 04:32 AM
    I wouldn't make it up. This is why it was bashed in reviews. Microsoft actually shipped a device this buggy. I don't understand how a company known for software makes things this bad now. It's been years, it's time to wake up to the roses.
    This is what gets me. They basically took advantage of avid Windows Phone fans. They knew we would buy a new "flagship," so they put a piece of junk in a box.

I agree with OP. I wish I never bought a 950. I have had to factory reset it 4 times and get a replacement phone. Microsoft needs to own up to their mistake and offer WP fans something as a sign of good will. I am going to go Android (barf) on my next phone unless MS does something amazing good with the Surface Phone plus some sort of buy-back program with the 950.
    05-16-2016 08:33 AM
    Agreed!! 950 is a useless phone. I bought it and used for more than a month. Nothing worked properly. NOT even the CAMERA!!! BURST SHOT FAILURE! (saving error). My 950 is resting in the cupboard. I ended up buying the s7 edge as its permanent replacement.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    curseoftheninja likes this.
    05-16-2016 10:35 AM
    I am about to find out first hand, Mine is on the way to the doorsteps.
    Will update soon.
    05-16-2016 11:57 AM
    Cuz everyone who worked at Nokia has been fired.
    I do worry about this.
    First impressions count a lot and I remember many people complaining that the initial Surface Book was full of bugs too. While it's great that Microsoft are launching new products fast, they need to now concentrate on the details. New Lumia owners should not have to wait to load hundreds of updates while waiting days for things to settle down. In the consumer marketplace, most people have little patience. Microsoft need to add lots more polish going forward.
    05-16-2016 12:55 PM
    I have shifted to 1520 2 years ago from HTC (Android). Since then it has been a good journey. 1520 is a massive machine and 950 is just a marginal upgrade. It is still my primary phone. However, I got my hands on 950 yesterday and it is not as exciting at it is to shift to a complete new device with new OS. It is a baby version of 1520 with a higher processor, iris scanner, bigger RAM, and Continuum, which cannot be used as of now due to lack of the dock or miracast.

Yes, it heated up the first time I put it on charge at started updating. The heat was on till 1.5 hours while it was on charge. Soon once out of the charge, it cooled and since then haven't had that issue. The most amazing feature is the iris scanner, which unlocked the phone in pitch dark. The phone is handy, fast, very obscure. The camera is another thing to look out for. 4K video @ 30 fps. Photos are crispy and clean. The front camera is not that impressive without a flash.

I am in a process to move to 950 for a while. but I don't feel I would move from the 1520.
    05-17-2016 08:58 AM
    What's firmware version and OS version? Send us snapshot
    05-17-2016 09:34 AM
    Now that i have my 950, i will respond to OPs comments. I received the phone and update to .318 build and hard reset, did not restore from backup. Installed about 25 new apps and updated 50.

1. I experience no lag, the 3G of ram is so great, i can come back to apps way later and they are still open where i left em. I don't like that webpages reload as soon as i return to them, maybe a Remanent of low memory design or just a choice.

2. Heat - When installing a lot of apps and when charging the phone got hot. but in regular use like reading email or news or twitter, did not find it to be an issue.

3. Did not see a battery life drop drastically. seems to be draining normally with windows Hello enabled. Hello has been working great for me, as good as a thumbprint reader i would say. I do try not to look at that bright red led.

Now if I was to respond to 1520 Vs 950 comment. I would say the new display is wonderful, sharp at even 350% zoom. The camera is few times better, the 1520 never could cope with too much light and had a really slow night shutter, plus the focus on the 950 is rock solid. looks wise 950 is ugly compared to 1520, curved glass would have been a nice addition to such a nice phone, but i am a fan of removable back, i am looking to get that Coral cover rear soon. never was a fan of the 928 like band around the edge that has no taper, which i also had, its soft and it will deteriorate. They keep flipflopping designs, figure out what works and what people like M$. Why didn't they build on the 640XL design, i prefer that more and it has proved to be bulletproof, even the 650 design seems to be better, which is saying a lot about the 950.
    Last edited by Jakoh; 05-17-2016 at 11:29 AM.
    05-17-2016 10:59 AM
    Just purchased a used 950 on the Bay to check out. Will post results once it arrives and I've set it up.
    05-17-2016 05:05 PM
    Just make sure you don't restore any backups...
    Set up from scratch?
    05-18-2016 07:52 PM
    Set up from scratch?
    +1 to setting up from scratch.

From my experience and from reading on the forums, setting up from scratch will help you avoid many issues ranging from overheating, random reboots and app crashes. Note that when you set up from scratch, your text messages will be synced automatically and you will still have them.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-18-2016 10:46 PM
    To be honest I used every single flagship every created since 6 years. Best reliable phone to use is the iPhone starting form iPhone 5 to iPhone 6S+..
    I really think 950 is an acquired taste. Not anyone would enjoy it especially coming from Apple or Android. It's more of a culture and a history with Smart Phones or Nokia.
    I have a 950 Dual Sim phone. I really love the screen and platform and OS but some issues you mentioned are annoying. Heat issues, which I am facing with my 950. Especially if i'm using Facebook and Twitter and browsing. It tends to get warm.
    The app issue not having a solid FB and Twitter APP plus no SNAPCHAT..
    I love the Camera it's fantastic. But again using the camera for 10 minutes would heat up the phone.
    You can't really compare between iPhone 6S and Samsung 7 and 950. It's a different ballgame and if you compare 950 will lose.
    W10 is the easiest OS to use on a phone! I also believe the phone looks cheep comparing to iPhone and Samsung. If you buy a MOZO brown leather case the phone can easily compete in looks VS Apple and Samsung and maybe beat them.
    I am trying to find a way to not allow the phone to heat up. Still can't a solution but I will hopefully do.
    Maybe you should of waited a couple of days!
    05-19-2016 05:10 AM
    It usually takes a over a day for everything to download and update. I have over 200 apps on my phone, I update to the latest release, see how that runs, then I do a factory reset, usually at night so that it can download most the stuff. Sometimes it takes a few days just to get all the text's. This latest build, my text's populated very quickly, after the update, then after the factory reset. The one problem I see was one from an earlier build that I had, when I'm texting and hit send, it sits there for a few seconds before it sends. No heating problem, (after everything updates and installs), I never had a reboot problem, still don't. It seems faster, but that could be wishful thinking, no app crashing. Today is a good day.
    Last edited by gumbedamit; 05-19-2016 at 04:12 PM.
    05-19-2016 03:46 PM
    I don't have an android phone anymore, let alone an s7 edge, why do you still lurk in a Windows forum for a phone you no longer use. I've had plenty of devices over the years, once I'm done with them, I move on the the forums for the device that I currently have. Nothing more for you to see here...
    05-19-2016 04:09 PM
    It takes days to get any phone working optimally, and weeks to get used to it. Judging a phone and operating system in 8 hours is pointless.
    The 950xl is the only phone that has not worked instantly for me. That includes feature phones, a blackberry pearl, HTC incredible, HTC trophy, Lumia 1520, Lumia 640, and LG V10. All of them have apps to install, music to install, and passwords to enter; but none has ever required me to actually setup. The 950xl required me to call customer support to figure out I couldn't do somethings I considered basic (visual voicemail or install apps on the SD card without crashing). I didn't use any backup on mine, because I figured it was nicer to build it from the ground up.

I really dislike all the advice like:
    [INDENTYou have a bad memory card (it works on every other device I own without problem),
    You need to factory reset it immediately after getting it (never had to do that before with any device),
    You need to turn off the iris scanner (why have it?).[/INDENT]

All the extra steps feel like buying a new car and then rebuilding the engine before driving it. Maybe if I was buying an outdated or used phone I could understand all the extra steps.

I also dislike the phrases:
    Windows 10 Mobile isn't ready for prime time (don't sell it for full price then)
    This phone isn't for the average consumer, it is for fans (deliver a better product)

This phone is for fans is code for: this phone is for suckers. It is weird to be a fan of a company anyway. Companies provide services for our money. What are we supposed to be fans of? The company's plan to take over a sector of the market to increase profits by selling the same foreign made devices as the other companies? This is so weird to me.
    05-19-2016 04:46 PM
    I also dislike the phrases:
    Windows 10 Mobile isn't ready for prime time (don't sell it for full price then)
    This phone isn't for the average consumer, it is for fans (deliver a better product)

This phone is for fans is code for: this phone is for suckers.
    This sums up my feelings as well.
    mikepalma likes this.
    05-20-2016 08:03 AM
    Tweet @gabeaul and @tmyerson and @northfacehiker. They respond and are in need of feedback
    05-20-2016 08:14 AM
51 123