Shooting with RAW

askerrep

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey,
just got a 950 (loving it), but I'm a bit frustrated/confused with the photos experience...

I started off by shooting photos in 16 MP JPEGs, but it seems like the photos that are automatically backed up to OneDrive are heavily compressed? As they only take up about 300kb of storage... Is there any way to automatically back up at full resolution when I take these high-res photos? When I choose 8MP JPEGs they seem to upload at full resolution...

After I discovered that I started shooting in JPEG + RAW (16MP), as I wanted to be able to play around with my photos on my laptop as well. But RAW photos aren't synced at all? They don't upload to OneDrive? So I have to connect my phone to my PC via cable to sync these photos? In 2016? And what kind of software do you guys use to edit RAW photos? I tried some of the ones available in Store (fotoroom, RAWer), but can't say I'm too impressed. Fhotoroom seems to make my pics blurry...

And yeah, on a side note, I'm a bit let down by the (auto)focus on this phone, as it seems to miss quite often... Wish they had improved this, since that was my main complaint with the 930 camera as well..

Sorry for the long post, hoping for some good tips and tricks regarding getting the most out of my 950 camera :D

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I do use Rawer on the phone (1520 here), but also be aware that it downsizes output as well.

On PC, I've found Fotor (open and manipulate DNG) and Polarr (cleanup) a pretty good combo. Of course, you get more out of GIMP or Photoshop, but the learning curve on those is pretty steep and I quite honestly have never found the time to train myself on either. I remember trying GIMP and moving on as I was just tired of trying to poke some sense into the thing.

Here's an illustrated rundown of a Fotor/Polarr one-two I did on a DNG original: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/250141-44.htm#post3467897

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
That's strange.... my pic are only in the 300KB range if I edit them on the phone. all other shots (jpg) are in the 4+MB range (using 16MP)

I remember in 8.1 there was an option to choose compressed vs full sized image uploads to onedrive, but cannot find a similar option in Windows 10 mobile.

Last edited:

askerrep

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I remember that option as well, but I can't find it in W10m either. I'm really not happy that it's not possible to select which quality to back up photos in, and that it's physically impossible to backup RAW files...
Those sizes you quoted, is that on your phone, or on your OneDrive?

anon(5841099)

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked the settings in the OneDrive app to see if it is allowed to upload over metered connections? I think if that's on it will upload in reduced resolution, similar to the old settings in WP8.1.

If it is on, perhaps try to switch it off and only upload via WiFi. If it is not on and still it only uploads lower resolution images, I'm out of ideas :p.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I remember that option as well, but I can't find it in W10m either. I'm really not happy that it's not possible to select which quality to back up photos in, and that it's physically impossible to backup RAW files...
Those sizes you quoted, is that on your phone, or on your OneDrive?

both onedrive and my phone.... files sizes do match up. the only time they shrink significantly is when I crop them (or any major edit) on the phone.

Intrance had an interesting idea to try.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes