Should I Reset my 950 or Leave Well(ish) Alone?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi Everybody,

I have a Lumia 950, which I really like, when it works. However, as time goes by, it is becoming more and more lumpy and more and more features are just not working. As an example:

- Living images don't work
- Phone settings don't sync with my Win 10 PC
- Phone gets very hot and frequently resets
- Mobile hotspots refuses pretty much all connection requests
- Whenever I take a photo, "adding finishing touches" comes up on the screen when I try to view/share/edit/delete the image, and stays there a long time.

The way I see it, the 3-4 Windows updates that have been rolled out since I got the phone in February have done little to improve the situation, so I'm left wondering whether or not I just carry out a complete hard reset and start again. But that leaves three questions:

- Will my Windows build revert to the one that was on the phone when I got it out of the box?
- Will I miss the alleged Anniversary update that is being promised (which might fix all these issues... [sceptical]?
- Is it worth the hassle, or is it best to simply go on with the phone as it is and not bother with Windows 10 again?

The last option would be really disappointing because I like it as an interface and a platform for my work, but the unreliability is making it difficult to stick loyally to the project.

Thanks for your time,

AGS

alexsamson

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Should I Reset my Lumia 950 or Leave Well(ish) Enough Alone?

Hi Everybody,

I have a Lumia 950, which I really like, when it works. However, as time goes by, it is becoming more and more lumpy and more and more features are just not working. As an example:

• Living images don't work
  • Phone settings don't sync with my Win 10 PC
  • Phone gets very hot and frequently resets
  • Mobile hotspots refuses pretty much all connection requests
  • Whenever I take a photo, "adding finishing touches" comes up on the screen when I try to view/share/edit/delete the image, and stays there a long time.

The way I see it, the 3-4 Windows updates that have been rolled out since I got the phone in February have done little to improve the situation, so I'm left wondering whether or not I just carry out a complete hard reset and start again. But that leaves three questions:

• Will my Windows build revert to the one that was on the phone when I got it out of the box?
  • Will I miss the alleged Anniversary update that is being promised (which might fix all these issues... [sceptical]?
  • Is it worth the hassle, or is it best to simply go on with the phone as it is and not bother with Windows 10 again?

The last option would be really disappointing because I like it as an interface and a platform for my work, but the unreliability is making it difficult to stick loyally to the project.

Thanks for your time,

AGS

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Should I Reset my Lumia 950 or Leave Well(ish) Enough Alone?

When you do a factory reset, you stay on the same version, you don't go backwards
Hard reset will not exclude you from future updates - it just reinstalls the OS afresh
For your issues, I suggest you do the factory reset and after factory reset make sure to check for updates for apps and OS just in case

Factory Reset is Done through Settings > About > Reset your phone (8 & 8.1) or Settings > System > About > Reset your phone (W10M).

Factory reset will solve most if not all of your issues and before you start doing any resets, make sure to copy your data to a pc and to do a backup

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would hard reset. The state of your phone is what I find unacceptable.

(if the random reboots persist, I would warranty that! I've done it in the past with an 830)

As for your questions:
- Will my Windows build revert to the one that was on the phone when I got it out of the box?

No.

- Will I miss the alleged Anniversary update that is being promised (which might fix all these issues... [skeptical]?

Nope. (and it may help - you may want to use the Insider program to upgrade and test it out before resetting.)

- Is it worth the hassle, or is it best to simply go on with the phone as it is and not bother with Windows 10 again?

I'd say the hassle is worth the likelihood of improved operation.

And don't stick loyally. Find what works best for you. Not a brand or a logo, but an experience that works for you.

and OP, do not create duplicate threads please. It causes issues for everyone involved including you since discussion is then fragmented.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes