Update questions

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I've stupidly smashed the screen on my 1020, so wondering whether to jump to the 950.
If I buy the 950 unlocked from Microsoft, will I get the updates direct from them or will I have to rely on my carrier? My carrier is Manx Telecom ( no real choice there) and I am not sure I can rely on them for updates.
If I buy the phone from my carrier will that change the update path?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I buy the 950 unlocked from Microsoft, will I get the updates direct from them?

Yes.

If I buy the phone from my carrier will that change the update path?

Possibly. A small carrier like Manx might choose to sell a country variant (GB) that would effectively be the same as the one from the Microsoft Store.

Check if they have a phone on display. Settings > Extras > Extras & Info > Mobile Operator.

If it says any of the following it is Factory Unlocked and all updates come straight from Microsoft including Firmware:
  • 000-GB (United Kingdom)
  • 000-33 (Europe)
  • 000--35 (Western Europe)
  • 000-36 (Northern Europe)
Anything with a 000 is good really.

However, there is a mobile operator ID entry for Manx, MAN-GB and that would indicate they could sit in your update path...

https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/...n/Registry_values_for_carrier-unlocked_phones
https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/...ation/Registry_values_for_mobile_operator_IDs

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately they've lost the battery from the display model ( which pretty much sums up the Manx experience!) their competitor does have a working one, but there's no guarantee of it being the same variant. It's the same price as the Microsoft store, but I'd rather buy on island, in case I get a faulty one. I will ask if it is factory unlocked, they do have a working xl on display and another Lumia, so I will check those, presumably they will be the same country variant as the 950.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't check the Manx Telecom 950, but the xl and another Lumia were 000-GB, sim unlock 1.0.0.5. The competitor's 950 (Sure Telecom) is a 000-88, sim unlock 1.0.0.5. ( at ?499 I'll be giving that a miss).

Have been having a play with the camera and not entirely convinced by it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon