I want to move everything to live.com from google

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Something I've been considering is moving everything (contacts, email, xbox and calendar) from google over to Microsoft.

Can someone provide a link for a step-by-step process? Should I set-up the new live id I want, before resetting my phone, etc?

I am currently using my gmail email address as my live id. I want to totally start fresh with a new @live.com email address and calendar.

I know I have to reset my phone. I'm guessing any apps I've purchased, will have to be repurchased since it is a new live id?

Thanks.

No, this has nothing to do with the recent comments regarding the google security/privacy stuff. I just like having as much in one ecosystem as I can. And I've been noticing in my google calendar on my phone, I can delete an event off my phone, and it reappears later on. I'm hoping having the Hotmail calendar will fix this issue.

Last edited:

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I did exactly that earlier today. The first thing I did was go onto my Xbox and switch my gamertag over to my new live ID. I was using a gmail email as my liveID. There is a way to do it without the xbox, but I can't help you there. By doing this, I didn't have to repurchase any apps.

Setup your new liveID first. The go to trueswitch.com https://secure5.trueswitch.com/hotmail/ and signup for the transfer. Trueswitch will move all of your emails and contacts over for you. Then go into the settings of hotmail and have hotmail receive all your future gmail.

Refer to this guide: http://www.windowscentral.com/switch-hotmail-three-steps

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I did exactly that earlier today. The first thing I did was go onto my Xbox and switch my gamertag over to my new live ID. I was using a gmail email as my liveID. There is a way to do it without the xbox, but I can't help you there. By doing this, I didn't have to repurchase any apps.

Setup your new liveID first. The go to trueswitch.com https://secure5.trueswitch.com/hotmail/ and signup for the transfer. Trueswitch will move all of your emails and contacts over for you. Then go into the settings of hotmail and have hotmail receive all your future gmail.

Refer to this guide: http://www.windowscentral.com/switch-hotmail-three-steps

Once you finished with trueswitch.com, you reset your phone, or not? I'm guessing I could just delete the google account off my phone?

When I went to create my new @live.com email, all I'm being offered is @hotmail.com. I'm guessing these are one-in-the-same?

Last edited:

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Once you finished with trueswitch.com, you reset your phone, or not? I'm guessing I could just delete the google account off my phone?

When I went to create my new @live.com email, all I'm being offered is @hotmail.com. I'm guessing these are one-in-the-same?
Go to: https://signup.live.com/ should redirect and allow you to choose your own email domain or hotmail.com/live.com.

AFAIK if the Live ID on your phone is your Gmail address, you'll have to reset to change it to your new Live ID, but then you'd have to repurchase your apps as (you rightfully pointed out) this is a new Live ID. You can leave your Gmail as the Live ID attached to the phone and you won't have to repurchase anything, and use your new email address for email, contacts, calendar, etc.

Someone will have to chime in and back me up on this (so don't hold me to it :p), my mind is goo today.

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You won't have to repurchase any apps, just redownload them. As long as your live email is the one you use for your Xbox live account you should be fine.

As reference, I just switched to a live.com account this morning :)

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Go to: https://signup.live.com/ should redirect and allow you to choose your own email domain or hotmail.com/live.com.

Yes, I tried that and when I select a new e-mail address, it is only showing @hotmail.com as an option.

AFAIK if the Live ID on your phone is your Gmail address, you'll have to reset to change it to your new Live ID, but then you'd have to repurchase your apps as (you rightfully pointed out) this is a new Live ID. You can leave your Gmail as the Live ID attached to the phone and you won't have to repurchase anything, and use your new email address for email, contacts, calendar, etc.

Someone will have to chime in and back me up on this (so don't hold me to it :p), my mind is goo today.

Yes, my Live id is tied to my gmail address. I'm thinking that may just be the simplest thing, leave my live id as it is, delete my google e-mail, calendar and migrate everything to MS.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
If I remember right, if you go to Live.com, your name is top right, click on that and a menu comes down, choose account. At the bottom of the page is another list, one of the options is email addresses go there and add a new hotmail account then set that to your preferred email and delete the original one. You can create a new hotmail account during the adding process.

I made switch recently as well, migrated everything to a new hotmail account and then went through all my online accounts and set them all up with the same usernames and so on. Was very theraputic, but it did take about 2 days to get it all done properly and working as I had hoped. The gmail import took a full day on it's own, turns out I still have iTunes receipts from 2008 in there.

I still prefer Gmail's web interface to Live.com but as I mostly check mail on my phone it hardly matters anymore. Over all very happy to have made the change over.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, seems I have created a monster.

First of all, what I should have done was log into my Windows Live account using my original gmail and password. Go into the profile and add a new email address for my windows live id.

1. Now that I've done that, I have an app that needs updating, but when I click on update, it wants me to log into my account using my old gmail address. I can't edit the gmail account info that I used to setup my phone.

2. Now I have multiple contacts.

I'm beginning to wish I had left it alone.

Suggestion/s?

Last edited:

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, seems I have created a monster.

First of all, what I should have done was log into my Windows Live account using my original gmail and password. Go into the profile and add a new email address for my windows live id.

1. Now that I've done that, I have an app that needs updating, but when I click on update, it wants me to log into my account using my old gmail address. I can't edit the gmail account info that I used to setup my phone.

2. Now I have multiple contacts.

I'm beginning to wish I had left it alone.

Suggestion/s?

I switched to a live.com email this morning. I created the new account, switched my Xbox live gamertag to the new email, reset my phone, and logged in with the new address. Then I went to wndowsphone.com and clicked on my account and went to the app history and redownloaded the apps I still wanted. I was NOT, I repeat NOT, charged again as it recognized my account.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I switched to a live.com email this morning. I created the new account, switched my Xbox live gamertag to the new email, reset my phone, and logged in with the new address. Then I went to wndowsphone.com and clicked on my account and went to the app history and redownloaded the apps I still wanted. I was NOT, I repeat NOT, charged again as it recognized my account.

when you reset your phone, did the phone software updates stay or do they have to be reinstalled too?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
when you reset your phone, did the phone software updates stay or do they have to be reinstalled too?
Phone updates are loaded into ROM, so no, you do not have to reload them. After a hard reset, your phone with have all the updates you had before the reset. But your registry and caches will be cleaned up, which is a good thing.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Phone updates are loaded into ROM, so no, you do not have to reload them. After a hard reset, your phone with have all the updates you had before the reset. But your registry and caches will be cleaned up, which is a good thing.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Yeah what he said lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon