So Pcs still make up to over 84% of Web Usage, People still Think its going anywhere.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Its these paid bloggers, mostly on Google's payroll putting that garbage out there. Their intent is to create this illusion that the world revolves around any and everything they do. Its not. What Microsoft has in mind for the mobile world hasn't even scratched the surface IMHO. When we move into Blue and Windows Phone 8.1 8.5 and then WP9? WPCentral better be ready with WPCentral-NA and WPCentral Europe. Its On!

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
i use my SmartPhone to web sure but Pcs will never be replaced, at least not any-time soon ~10/15 years.

Maybe Tablets by then will become so huge that will replace pcs, by then i?ll probably already owned 3/4 Windows or apple tablets. lol

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Surfing the web on my smartphone is certainly convenient, but nowhere near a satisfactory experience compared to viewing on my PC. I agree with iHuGi, it's hard to see PCs replaced anytime soon. Can't imagine doing something like AutoCAD or even FPS gaming for example, as efficiently on anything other than the PC.

And the argument about PC shipments declining. The way hardware is nowadays, it's not like it's necessary for people to upgrade every year. I guess anything goes for the people who want to make it seem like PCs are dead.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Pcs are here to stay, these days almost everyone already has a Pc, how many have been sold thougout the years ? 4 bilions ?

And Pcs from 4 years ago still do the job, i mean there are space for Tablets but i dont see those replacing Pcs anytime soon, sure they are all good for Facebook, Twitter, Youtube but for Gaming and so on... Not Likely.

Phones is another discussion because we all know that people replace phones frequently, many use more than one phone network so own 2 or even 3 phones sometimes, thats huge business, i bought 3 phones in the last 6 months, A Windows Phone and 2 Featured Cheap Phones just to keep contact with my friends on those networks.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
PC's aren't on the decline or going "out". This recent batch of articles, this trend, is nothing more than link bait journalism at its worst. The only thing that's going to happen is that PC's are going to become more mobile friendly, and take on some tablet characteristics like a smaller form factor and touch screen capability. Oh wait, MS and Intel already saw that coming. I believe they're called W8 pro tablets.

There should be a law allowing us to stone moronic tech writers and analcysts analysts.
SMH.

edit: I'm not disagreeing with the numbers. I've had the same PC, with all the same parts for 2 years. It still flies because every single component on it was bleeding edge when I put it together. I don't game on it anymore though so unless parts start dying on it, I'll still get at least another year out of it. For non-gamers, desktop PC's just don't need to be replaced all that often. What I disagree with these link baiters about is theior belief that PC's ar eon the outs. No they're not. A PC tablet still uses a PC OS. It's the OS that defines the device, not the case it comes in. A Windows 8 tablet is still a PC.

This is where MS is well ahead of everyone else by being the first to market mass producing tablet form factors running a touch screen friendly full OS. While I still think the specs on this first generation of W8 tablets are lacking for the price point and won't even consider one, I'm quite certain that this situation will be resolved by Q1 of next year at the latest due to rapid CPU advances.

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Shouldn't there be some kind of conflict on interest when financial analysts can use manipulated data and unintelligent reports to manipulate stock prices?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Another report today by some analysis group stating that PC sales are going to continue to decline and the number of OEMs will decrease. These guys don't learn.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
one problem with those pc decline statistics and all those articles that are out now is what is classified as a pc? If you classify a PC as a traditional desktop or laptop, then yes, they are declining because computers are changing for factors to tablets now. So does a convertible laptop count as a pc? Or how about an atom tablet running windows 8, is that a pc? Does having an arm processor not count as a pc, so win RT devices are not pcs? what about android or iOS, are they not personal computers? The problem with all of those articles is they are vague, with pcs changing for left and right between all of the companies, I have to question the data in the fact that are they accurately representing the new pc form factor or are they counting older traditional form factors? Because from what I'm seeing, most of what we sell at my store regarding windows 8 are tablets, touchscreens, and convertibles especially, so if they aren't counted then yes, I'm sure pc sales are in decline.

Gotta love statistics as they tell you close to nothing. Gotta love correlation without causality!

Jay_wpcentral

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't look at PCs, phone and tablets differently. I need to do something - movies, music, gaming, productivity - and I do all on this on my phone, laptop and desktop.

All three are my PCs. They help me do what I want to do :)

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
one problem with those pc decline statistics and all those articles that are out now is what is classified as a pc? If you classify a PC as a traditional desktop or laptop, then yes, they are declining because computers are changing for factors to tablets now. So does a convertible laptop count as a pc? Or how about an atom tablet running windows 8, is that a pc? Does having an arm processor not count as a pc, so win RT devices are not pcs? what about android or iOS, are they not personal computers? The problem with all of those articles is they are vague, with pcs changing for left and right between all of the companies, I have to question the data in the fact that are they accurately representing the new pc form factor or are they counting older traditional form factors? Because from what I'm seeing, most of what we sell at my store regarding windows 8 are tablets, touchscreens, and convertibles especially, so if they aren't counted then yes, I'm sure pc sales are in decline.

Gotta love statistics as they tell you close to nothing. Gotta love correlation without causality!

Exactly! I don't understand why all these tech bloggers are surprised that the traditional desktops are slowing in sales. Did they expect us to have these big bricks forever?

Computers are still in infancy compared to most of the common technology we use today. Of course it's going to change form factors and change definition.

What happened when Laptops swept up the desktop market? Did we cry in fear of dieing sales? No, the PC market simply shifted to a different form factor.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Thank you op. I have a great smart phone (920) and a tablet but we still have a PC at home and the office. You can browse the internet but if you want to construct a doc. PDF, power point ect. . . PC. I'm looking to buy another one for my office, 23" all on one windows 8 (sweet!), because of the necessity of a PC and just how impressive they are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes