Windows Phone Surface N Concept

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've looked around and I couldn't find a thread discussing this. Please point me in the right direction if I'm late to the party. :wink:

So WPcentral posted this awesome concept 2 days ago:
A stunning Windows Phone concept: The Surface N | Windows Phone Central

[video=youtube;R03dUIr3_gQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R03dUIr3_gQ#![/video]

All the futuristic and currently unrealistic hardware functions aside (although extremely cool) I think the video shows a lot of very cool and usable software functions that would do much good for WP. As I see them:

1. The actual screen goes all the way to the edge without black edges (unless when in the menu of course). Looks very cool. Why haven't this been done before? (0.30) and (0.43) (I realize this is a hardware feature, but it's not futuristic like the other's, I think).
2. Very active live tiles. It depends on the tiles of course but it looks nice. Kinda looks like the HTC Sense Zoe's I think. (0.35)
3. Swipe left for Information Center which contains a lot of cool stuff and easy access. (0.40)
4. App folders in the App Menu - a feature to organize the apps in the App Menu (0.50)
5. All colours to choose from for the Tile's. (1.18)

I think these are 5 doable and very cool features. While some are just for cool-factor, others are really needed in WP.

What do you think?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Here are my thoughts.

I think this shows the best notification center mock up yet. Mostly follows the metro look and has everything I would want in the notification area.

The call screen looks nice on it. Very futuristic looking! App menu looks cool too! I like the way it is laid out.

Theme selection... it should honestly already work that way!

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree. I also really like that you swipe to the opposite site of the App Menu. It just feels right with how the Modern UI works and is designed.

What do you mean with the call screen? If you mean how the image on the screen goes all the way to the edge, I agree as well. It seems that whenever someone make a cool futuristic concept, there is no black edge around the screen. To me, it makes the image appear larger and richer. I wonder if there is a particular reason no one has done this before?

Agree with the theme selection. No reason why we don't have this already.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree. I also really like that you swipe to the opposite site of the App Menu. It just feels right with how the Modern UI works and is designed.

What do you mean with the call screen? If you mean how the image on the screen goes all the way to the edge, I agree as well. It seems that whenever someone make a cool futuristic concept, there is no black edge around the screen. To me, it makes the image appear larger and richer. I wonder if there is a particular reason no one has done this before?

Agree with the theme selection. No reason why we don't have this already.

sorry I don't usually use the call functionality on my phone, im thinking back to wp7 call screen with everything chilling in the middle of the screen. Just noticed how the updated wp8 moved everything towards the bottom! lol

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
What we really need to do is get root access to these WP8 devices and build this concept from the ground up.

Not too hard, right?

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
What we really need to do is get root access to these WP8 devices and build this concept from the ground up.

Not too hard, right?

I know little about rooting, but surely it would be easier if these features where there from the beginning. Nevertheless, having access to rooting and other tools would do a lot for the platform as well. People want to be able to do what they want with their handsets and that is one of the reasons why Android has become so popular.

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I know little about rooting, but surely it would be easier if these features where there from the beginning. Nevertheless, having access to rooting and other tools would do a lot for the platform as well. People want to be able to do what they want with their handsets and that is one of the reasons why Android has become so popular.

if they made this a reality, I wouldn't care about a root/jailbreak. IMO this is all WP is missing besides apps.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with these points. Honestly, just give us the Notifications center and the Emotion Theme color selector and I'm happy. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to integrate and WP really needs these features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon