Give me a reason to switch to wp

d.scythe

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I owned iphone 4s for 2 years now, i reckon to change my gadget and i really consider lumia 1020...
but i read in a lot article that WP is lack in apps and cool games, and often got hang for no reason, i wonder if that's true? can someone give me a full explaination please...
the pros n con with WP if compared to IOS...

and i also wanna ask, can WP 8 devices get updates to WP 8.1 a.k.a windows blue?
cause when i read the article on WP 7 devices, it cannot upgrade the OS to WP8...

thank's before for your answers...
n please help me, i'm really confused now, wether to upgrade to latest apple devices or switching to WP8...

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
yes, WP8 will be upgraded to 8.1!

it depends on what apps you consider essencial...i never rly missed any app after i switched from Android! i think you should look into the store and see if you can find those apps you can't live without (if not official, we got amazing 3rd party developers!)

yes, there is cool games...but it also depends on what you consider cool games lol

my lumia 620 rarely ever hanged! ofc, i'm speaking for myself, would be nice to hear from others!

WP8 is just like iOS: it's simple at what it does, you can take the phone from the box and just start using it with no complications! ofc, there is a small learning curve since Metro UI is somewhat different from iOS but once you get used to it, it becomes an amazing experience imo!

smerfy01

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I owned iphone 4s for 2 years now, i reckon to change my gadget and i really consider lumia 1020...
but i read in a lot article that WP is lack in apps and cool games, and often got hang for no reason, i wonder if that's true? can someone give me a full explaination please...

and i also wanna ask, can WP 8 devices get updates to WP 8.1 a.k.a windows blue?
cause when i read the article on WP 7 devices, it cannot upgrade the OS to WP8...

n please help me, i'm really confused now, wether to upgrade to latest apple devices or switching to WP8...

Okay, here's the best I can do for you.

I've been running with an HTC 8x since November. I'll break it down, with iOS being the middle ground between pro and con, then cover the "cons":

Pro:
- live tiles: there's nothing like it, really. you get the latest from most of every app and makes your home screen feel alive
- people hub/social integration: you have no idea how awesome this is until you set it up. i don't even go into my social media apps anymore
- game achievements: it's cool to have that integration with my xbl account
- surprisingly, xbox music: i can create playlists basically anywhere. at home, on my tablet, on my phone and they all carry over...great syncing.
- Skydrive. All my music, videos, pictures, office files, books are stored on there. i can access literally everything. it's just...awesome. never had a problem with it.

Cons:
- App library: iOS has this in the bag. WP8 has over 160k apps and it's growing a lot faster now, but there are still some apps missing...most of which have a legit 3rd party app
- for you, probably the lack of a notification center. i haven't had use of one for a while, but I'd imagine that it's nice to have.
- being the 3rd place OS. It's a tough love place. Android and iOS get most of all the love and hype. They also get things faster most of the time.

As for your question about 8>8.1, afaik all windows phone 8 devices will upgrade to blue. WP7 is a different kernel, so it kinda sucked for them. Each phone is getting 36 months of support/updates. rumor has it, more unification with blue...possible store unification.

I'll tell you, Nokia may just be the best smartphone company. Here's why. They fight for you to have the best experience possible. They secure platform exclusive apps and games as well as developing some of the best apps on the market. Nokia drive is nothing short of awesome. Their build quality is practically second to none. They're pushing the bar higher in innovation.

Go for it. You won't regret it. Just give it a week and stick close to this community for help and support. Also, if you do, get the Weave News Reader...imho the best on the market. Free version is great.

Oh, also, i don't know what you mean by "hang for no reason" but the game situation is pretty decent now and I haven't had an issue with any of the games that I bought.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you need very specific apps, for example for your job, you should check if they are available first. My phone isn't really a work device apart from messaging, so I don't care about the great apps on iOS in my field, which are not available for Windows Phone.

For most of the popular apps like Instagram is a 3rd party replacement available, if there's no official app.

Check the store: Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

As nessinhaw has already written, yes, Windows Phone 8.1 is announced for Windows Phone 8. If Windows Phone 9 will be working on our phones nobody knows, the theories go in all direction, but there is no official announcement whatsoever.

There are people having issues with the stability of the OS, personally I don't think it is widespread. My 8X is very stable since the "tape fix" (a technical issue with the SIM card holder) but I do definitely have some bugs. Sometimes the sound stays always the same level, even if the display indicates differently, then I have to reboot. But again, nothing that would affect stability to a higher degree. Friends who use Android are having much more troubles with their Galaxy S3 and S4 and HTC Ones.

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

WP is still young and not as mature as iOS. That a good thing and a bad thing depending on how you look at it. I get super excited everytime BIG name app is released lol.

If you can't find an official app, chances are there is a third party alternative and 3rd party support on most WP apps is Phenomenal! I am always surprised to find apps developed by Indie developers that are absolutely gorgeous. What apps do you use frequently or you would say matter the most to you? Let us know.

Games. How about Xbox Live titles like...
Halo Spartan Assault
Asphalt 7 Heat
FIFA 13
Skulls of Shogun
NBA Jam
The Dark Knight Rises
The Amazing Spiderman
Final Fantasy
and it never ends lol...

Not to mention achievements sync to your Xbox Live account.
Oh and Office integration is really nice and useful.
I would say to go physically look and play with a Windows Phone. The user experience is very much the same across a multitude of devices. (*cough* unlike Android *cough*).

Last edited:

d.scythe

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
wow, thank's for the quick response all...

for me, my most essential apps on my IOS device will be maps, email, social media such as path and twitter, office, and messaging apps...
other than that is just a game like infinity blade2, fifa 13, real racing, clash of clans, nova 3, etc....
but i guess i can live without some of it...

so, WP 8 is upgradeable to WP 8.1 then...
but that still doubt me with the upgradeable of the OS...
cause when WP8 can be upgrade to WP8.1, could it be upgraded to WP 9?
cause i'm not a user that always bought for the latest gadget available in the world you know...
in IOS, at first buy i got IOS 5, but till 2 years now, i still can up to IOS 7 with my 4s...
maybe even till IOS 10 (if the company still exist though lol)...

smerfy01

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
wow, thank's for the quick response all...

for me, my most essential apps on my IOS device will be maps, email, social media such as path and twitter, office, and messaging apps...
other than that is just a game like infinity blade2, fifa 13, real racing, clash of clans, nova 3, etc....
but i guess i can live without some of it...

so, WP 8 is upgradeable to WP 8.1 then...
but that still doubt me with the upgradeable of the OS...
cause when WP8 can be upgrade to WP8.1, could it be upgraded to WP 9?
cause i'm not a user that always bought for the latest gadget available in the world you know...
in IOS, at first buy i got IOS 5, but till 2 years now, i still can up to IOS 7 with my 4s...
maybe even till IOS 10 (if the company still exist though lol)...

okay. email (gmail/outlook/hotmail) is well-integrated. they have their own apps. only problem is, unless someone figured it out and I'm an *****, you can't attach files in the hotmail email app afaik

social media...second to none. i have my best friends split into a live-tile group, with their facebook/twitter/linkedin synced together so I get the latest update on the live tile and all their updates if i go into their profile.

office, of course it's great. one note is abused on my phone.

we're not sure about WP9, but that's probably a year out at least. if it's on the same kernel, i'd imagine that it'd be upgradeable.

as for games...there's a bunch of good ones. crimson dragon is addicting, as well as Halo: Spartan Assault. final fantasy is also a really good time killer and Wordament is like crack for competitive people that have a thesaurus lying around.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Almost all of your essential apps are currently available on Windows Phone, Path is coming very soon.

Real Racing, Fifa 13 and Nova 3 are on WP but they all need a 1GB device. :(

Doesn't matter, you can still get Asphalt 7 and various other great games for WP. :)

d.scythe

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Almost all of your essential apps are currently available on Windows Phone, Path is coming very soon.

Real Racing, Fifa 13 and Nova 3 are on WP but they all need a 1GB device. :(

Doesn't matter, you can still get Asphalt 7 and various other great games for WP. :)

in WP store, is there any discounted apps?
such like in apple store, there are some apps that could gone free for just a day...
it's usefull to get a discounted apps...

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
such like in apple store, there are some apps that could gone free for just a day...

You can use:

Store Deals: Store Deals | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
AppDeals: AppDeals | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
myAppFree: myAppFree | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

From time to time you get something great. (The answer is yes.)

Also it's a good idea to check news sites (wpcentral.com) regularly for good deals.

This might be of interest too: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...pe-deals/db534788-8a1a-4f31-9a1d-bd9bdeddc467

smerfy01

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

yes, they do sales in the wp8 store.

as for how frequent they are, i couldn't tell you lol.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Read reviews
2. Watch the demos/reviews on YouTube
3. Go to a shop and play with one
4. Don't listen to the salesman if they're being opinionated about Android/Apple/WP
5. Compile a set of must-have functionality/apps. If WP8 doesn't offer them, then don't jump.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
okay. email (gmail/outlook/hotmail) is well-integrated. they have their own apps. only problem is, unless someone figured it out and I'm an *****, you can't attach files in the hotmail email app afaik

Yes, you can attach file using the Hotmail app, just as easily as you can for the other kinds of email accounts.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can attach file using the Hotmail app, just as easily as you can for the other kinds of email accounts.

I think he/she is referring to pdf files. But there are ways around that too. Some scanning apps like HandyScan will convert to pdf and send as an email attachment.

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Another cool feature that I don't think anyone mentioned yet is Kids Corner. It is basically an area you can create for your kid (if you have one) and you can decide what apps, games, etc they can use WITHOUT worrying about them messing up your phone or making app purchases etc. I used it a couple of times when I let my little cousins borrow it. Its quite neat.

d.scythe

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
really nice of you to help me with the repplies...
thank's

now i decide to jump to WP8, but still need to wait for 1020 to get a SD slot on it, cause 32GB is just not enough with the huge monsterous camera back there...
thank's a lot once again...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
really nice of you to help me with the repplies...
thank's

now i decide to jump to WP8, but still need to wait for 1020 to get a SD slot on it, cause 32GB is just not enough with the huge monsterous camera back there...
thank's a lot once again...

32GB / 15MB = 17067 pictures. You really will be taking a lot if that's not enough space!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos