Leap Motion a fail? According to Amazon, Yes!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems that according to Amazon.com, The $100.00 hotly anticipated Leap Motion controller could not muster a 3 measly stars. As much as I wanted to get this, I decided I would wait until the reviews were in. Out of 81 reviews, 2.4 stars out of 5. Happy I didn't early adopt this time.

leap.JPG

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
People who buy it from Amazon may not be liking it, but I know someone who is doing some interesting work with it to assist the disabled.
Atlanta Code Camp 2013 Speech -A Line of Code. | Musings of an Augmented Reality Philosopher

True. IT is always possible to find someone that likes and appreciate a reviewed product. Even on Amazon, some give Leap Motion 5 stars. Overall however, the customers that shop there and have purchased, most give it low marks. For myself, I tend to trust reviews on the Amazon website. I know not all review sessions are "valid" but on devices, they are in many cases on point.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
True. IT is always possible to find someone that likes and appreciate a reviewed product. Even on Amazon, some give Leap Motion 5 stars. Overall however, the customers that shop there and have purchased, most give it low marks. For myself, I tend to trust reviews on the Amazon website. I know not all review sessions are "valid" but on devices, they are in many cases on point.

Oh, by no means am I saying that those low ratings are unwarranted. I have no idea. I've never used one. I saw it demonstrated in the presentation, and it seemed to work well, but that is by no means an exhaustive study. I'm just saying that I know someone who is working on putting it to good use. :wink:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh, by no means am I saying that those low ratings are unwarranted. I have no idea. I've never used one. I saw it demonstrated in the presentation, and it seemed to work well, but that is by no means an exhaustive study. I'm just saying that I know someone who is working on putting it to good use. :wink:

Maybe at this point it's a product that works well for a really small niche.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It probably really depends on how it's used and if the purchaser bought it understanding its limitations.

Like XBOX One I suppose. It works but it has its limitations too. Some unexpected for me but not enough to give up my XBOX One.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My cousin had the developer one before it came out, I felt, for my needs, it wasn't that useful.
It may not be that useful after all and maybe this is what people are figuring out. Especially if there isn't the app base that supports it. I have to admit, I was intrigued as heck about this device and thought it would be really popular. I would have got it but it happened I had a disappointment with updates and has some technology misery going on. Figured this time I would not early adopt. Glad I waited.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I tried one of these out at a store. It was connected to an HP laptop (it came with the laptop). I opened the software that allows you to see how it is reading your hand. It was clear bad it tracks fingers and joints. When you think about it, it is reading everything from the bottom. Without direct line of "sight", it can't tell what your hand/fingers are doing.

To me, it is extremely limited at best.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Working for HP, it was REALLY cool to see this demo'd about 6 months ago. True the market share for this in practical terms is small, but for the 3D design group (CAD, Mech engineers, ect.) It seems to have great feedback....................duck hunt with it is kinda cool :)

dscobsct

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I bought one the first week they were out, if you ever watched their promo video, then used the device itself, you'd see why its such an epic anticlimax. They promised hands free interactivity with your computer, what you actually got, was waving your hands around frantically trying to get it to react. Don't get me wrong, its another stepping stone in the right direction, but not even remotely good enough for real world usage. Sold mime on ebay a month later

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The Leap Motion was featured on WPC a long while ago. I never got to try it, but the concept itself seemed a bit meh to me. At least for me, even the touchscreen on some newer Windows 8 laptops seemed to kind of "slow me down", if you know what I mean. The mouse and keyboard seem like such perfect inventions!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa