Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Carrier IQ is a diagnostic tool used by some carriers. An agent was embedded into the OS and it collected hardware related data to assist the carrier in troubleshooting customers devices and cell service. Unfortunately, while it wasn't done maliciously, the agent software was coded with little or no security in mind (sadly not uncommon). Therefore, it could theoretically be used as a vector for an attack/hack. Also, the software was logging things like GPS location (for the purpose of correlating location with cell towers/signal problems) and keystrokes, but since it probably isn't legal to collect such data without consent it was a big issue. There was a congressional hearing if I'm not mistaken.

At&t dropped it and Apple stopped including the agent in iOS after the controversy. Windows Phone never implemented it in the OS. Both Windows Phone and iOS are designed in such a way that the agent would either have to be installed by the user and permitted to "access location", etc. or it would have to be built into the OS itself by either Apple or MS. Neither OS exposes APIs that would allow a third party app to access that kind of data in any other way (in many cases the required APIs don't exist at all, like capturing keystrokes system wide). These limitations are by design. Android has no such limitations and it is apparently still in limited use by T-Mobile and Sprint on some Android devices. However, from what I understand the user can opt out in the phone settings (previously the agent was embedded within the OS with no indication to the user) and the agent software has been changed so that it doesn't collect data that would be illegal.

The bottom line is it's only a concern if you are using certain Android devices on certain carriers.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Carrier IQ is a diagnostic tool used by some carriers. An agent was embedded into the OS and it collected hardware related data to assist the carrier in troubleshooting customers devices and cell service. Unfortunately, while it wasn't done maliciously, the agent software was coded with little or no security in mind (sadly not uncommon). Therefore, it could theoretically be used as a vector for an attack/hack. Also, the software was logging things like GPS location (for the purpose of correlating location with cell towers/signal problems) and keystrokes, but since it probably isn't legal to collect such data without consent it was a big issue. There was a congressional hearing if I'm not mistaken.

At&t dropped it and Apple stopped including the agent in iOS after the controversy. Windows Phone never implemented it in the OS. Both Windows Phone and iOS are designed in such a way that the agent would either have to be installed by the user and permitted to "access location", etc. or it would have to be built into the OS itself by either Apple or MS. Neither OS exposes APIs that would allow a third party app to access that kind of data in any other way (in many cases the required APIs don't exist at all, like capturing keystrokes system wide). These limitations are by design. Android has no such limitations and it is apparently still in limited use by T-Mobile and Sprint on some Android devices. However, from what I understand the user can opt out in the phone settings (previously the agent was embedded within the OS with no indication to the user) and the agent software has been changed so that it doesn't collect data that would be illegal.

The bottom line is it's only a concern if you are using certain Android devices on certain carriers.

I've been through my Moto X up and down and have found no option to opt out.

According to the Carrier IQ website Verizon is in with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile uses it and it is present on the HTC One M8 and Samsung Galaxy s3 and the Samsung Galaxy Light - even their own community support forums have posts relating to getting rid of it. And it is difficult to opt out of unless you're rooted. But it's good to know that it's not present in WP8.

Carrier IQ has nothing to do with manufacturers and everything to do with "Carriers". Verizon was the only carrier that said they didn't have it back in the day. No carrier uses it today either because of the blowback that happened from it. Even though carrier IQ was nothing but diagnostics so carriers could troubleshoot problems.

Motorola knew about your device because all they needed was your IMEI number. The unique identifier to your phone gives them everything. No reason to worry.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
The closest you get to it on windows phone is Microsoft IQ aka feedback option in settings which you can turn off... Sends how you use phone to MS but not to carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon