The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-23-2014 11:25 AM
74 123
tools
    I have both Icon and the SE. If a camera isn't all that important I would recommend the SE.

Currently using my SE with the preview 8.1. Yes, you can get Here Maps and download the maps for offline use. Most all of the Nokia apps are camera related. I really don't miss any of them. Samsung has some of their own apps as well. Their App Folder is actually better than Nokia's.

The Icon is a good phone, the main drawbacks to me were limited storage, not very comfortable to hold, and it's very heavy.

The SE is very light. Fits in the hand very nicely, and it can take a 128 SD card. Another $10 and you can get wireless charging too. As far as support goes, the only Samsungs I'm aware of having that problem are the WP 7's and that's a dead end anyway. Haven't heard of that problem with the ATIV series. Might be some carriers out there not updating theirs but Verizon has been on the ball. The SE will be supported.

If I were you I wouldn't be shopping phones right now, just price brackets. More phones will be released between now and fall which may catch your eye.
    05-09-2014 08:33 AM
    In reality the 928 only has better resolution than the 822. The specs are the same, so I might as well get the best that is available so I know I am future proof for a while.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Thanks for telling me that, I honestly thought the 822 had much lower specs than the 928.
    05-09-2014 09:05 AM
    I have both Icon and the SE. If a camera isn't all that important I would recommend the SE.

Currently using my SE with the preview 8.1. Yes, you can get Here Maps and download the maps for offline use. Most all of the Nokia apps are camera related. I really don't miss any of them. Samsung has some of their own apps as well. Their App Folder is actually better than Nokia's.

The Icon is a good phone, the main drawbacks to me were limited storage, not very comfortable to hold, and it's very heavy.

The SE is very light. Fits in the hand very nicely, and it can take a 128 SD card. Another $10 and you can get wireless charging too. As far as support goes, the only Samsungs I'm aware of having that problem are the WP 7's and that's a dead end anyway. Haven't heard of that problem with the ATIV series. Might be some carriers out there not updating theirs but Verizon has been on the ball. The SE will be supported.

If I were you I wouldn't be shopping phones right now, just price brackets. More phones will be released between now and fall which may catch your eye.
    I doubt few if any come to Verizon seeing two out of 3 high end WP available are on Verizon already. We are least likely see another one on Verizon but for now the ATIV SE and the Lumia Icon are the best available outside of the 1520.
    05-09-2014 09:17 AM
    I think you were waiting til fall if I read correctly. HTC hasn't updated their Verizon offering in quite awhile. I'd say the chances were good we'll see a One M8 or similar with WP. If that happens, I may very well end up buying a third phone this year.
    05-09-2014 10:08 AM
    I think you were waiting til fall if I read correctly. HTC hasn't updated their Verizon offering in quite awhile. I'd say the chances were good we'll see a One M8 or similar with WP. If that happens, I may very well end up buying a third phone this year.
    We don't even know HTC is making anymore WP. They haven't since 2012. HTC is focused on Android right now.

05-09-2014 10:25 AM
    We don't even know HTC is making anymore WP. They haven't since 2012. HTC is focused on Android right now.

I know that if they do, I won't take a second look at one. The 8x I had was just terrible on build quality.
    05-09-2014 12:23 PM
    I know that if they do, I won't take a second look at one. The 8x I had was just terrible on build quality.
    How so? I never heard anything bad about the 8X, I am genuinely curious.

05-09-2014 01:24 PM
    The 8X is a cool phone. The only issues I know of are the rubber wearing off the corners and having trouble sending texts. The size and sexiness and sound are awesome. Not much support from HTC.
    05-09-2014 01:32 PM
    The 8X is a cool phone. The only issues I know of are the rubber wearing off the corners and having trouble sending texts. The size and sexiness and sound are awesome. Not much support from HTC.
    Ahh, well that rules out any notion of getting an 8X on VZW.

(BTW if anyone is interest the 8X is around $100 on Glyde: Simply buy and sell your games, iPads, iPhones and more)
    05-09-2014 02:24 PM
    How so? I never heard anything bad about the 8X, I am genuinely curious.

Terrible call quality, bad battery life (slow to charge too), corners rubbing off....this was my experience with one.
    05-09-2014 04:19 PM
    Ahh, well that rules out any notion of getting an 8X on VZW.

(BTW if anyone is interest the 8X is around $100 on Glyde: Simply buy and sell your games, iPads, iPhones and more)
    I don't know your money situation, but if I were you I would go for the icon or 928. I would keep away from Samsung or HTC, they're not devoted to WP like Nokia is.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    05-09-2014 04:22 PM
    Terrible call quality, bad battery life (slow to charge too), corners rubbing off....this was my experience with one.
    *crosses the HTC 8X off of potential backup devices list* I hate phones with bad battery life.
    05-09-2014 04:22 PM

Really? Check the headlines. New one incoming.
    05-10-2014 07:44 AM
    Really? Check the headlines. New one incoming.
    You reply to something before the headline came. Even then it is a RUMOR evleaks has been wrong before and has released renders for devices that have never showed.

05-10-2014 08:51 AM
    Uh huh. Rumor...
    First of all, HTC has stated they haven't given up on WP and are still committed. Second, HTC had been been planning on a One variant with WP and scrapped it. Third, MS has revised WP to work with Android hardware, most likely the reason for scrapping the first WP One variant. Fourth, I'd wager EVLeaks is right more often than you are.
    Frankly, I don't really care anymore, you're the kind of person I would hope for to stay on Android.
    05-10-2014 03:48 PM
    Uh huh. Rumor...
    First of all, HTC has stated they haven't given up on WP and are still committed. Second, HTC had been been planning on a One variant with WP and scrapped it. Third, MS has revised WP to work with Android hardware, most likely the reason for scrapping the first WP One variant. Fourth, I'd wager EVLeaks is right more often than you are.
    Frankly, I don't really care anymore, you're the kind of person I would hope for to stay on Android.
    Wow hostility. Don't think it was that serious. My own thread derailed.

05-10-2014 04:50 PM
    A895 I have a 822 as a back up for for my 810. If you are planning to get it I wouldn't hesitate :) the 16gb +micro SD and removable battery makes it the best 8xx series phone to date .

also if you plan to put 8.1 on it, go for it. I haven't had any problems with it and it runs like new.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    05-10-2014 06:36 PM
    Yes 822 has much more improved battery life compared to lumia 820.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    05-11-2014 02:27 AM
    I own a Lumia 820, and poor battery life is the only thing I don't like in it. Having said that it is still better than android devices at the same price. Just that when compared to Windows phones, it probably has the worst battery back up.
    05-13-2014 05:14 AM
    I own a Lumia 820, and poor battery life is the only thing I don't like in it. Having said that it is still better than android devices at the same price. Just that when compared to Windows phones, it probably has the worst battery back up.
    Absolutely it is only lumia that disappoints for the price.

05-13-2014 05:59 AM
    Yes 822 has much more improved battery life compared to lumia 820.

yeah like 10 minutes more!
    05-20-2014 12:08 AM
    Absolutely it is only lumia that disappoints for the price.

i loled, its the all rounder lumia except that it doesnt have as good battery life as the others but its still decent
    you seem to have a defective battery or phone
    Last edited by Karthik Naik; 05-23-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    05-20-2014 12:08 AM
    Get the Icon, it is a awesome machine. Top of the line and super nice build. I am running 8.1 and love it.
    05-22-2014 11:25 PM
    if apps are a no no for you, then dont' even think about it to be honest
    05-23-2014 11:25 AM
74 123