NOKIA branding to be removed, does it matter to us???

Kins69

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Things are moving fast..... I purchased an accessory at the Nokia flagship store in Helsinki last weekend while on a weekend there...

Big surprise while checking out my credit card transactions summary: the transaction was made to MICROSOFT!

To be honest Nokia was what made me switch to WP... not sure if I will stick to WP when Nokia disappears... If I wanted to buy a Samsung or Sony, I would have done so long ago and had an Android device.

Rasahi

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Since day one I only own Nokia mobiles. I did own N900 (Maemo os) just because it was made by Nokia. And goes to WP just because it was made from Nokia. So in future I will stick with Microsoft only because they bought Nokia regardless new brand name.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Nokia may not be as popular in the US as other brands anymore, but I feel it does have a good reputation. I'll be sad to see the day Nokia is wiped from future handsets. I feel like Nokia has done more for Windows Phone than Microsoft, and that legacy deserves to live on.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I strongly feel that Microsoft will release a Surface Phone or Microsoft branded Lumia, before the 18 months are over. That way, they can sell phones using Nokia branding for 18 months and also develop a new brand of phones.

Thelosouvlakia

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It is great that MS has acquired Nokia devices, but they should not change the name of such an Iconic device maker. It's like burning a page of a history book. It's blasphemy!

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I love Nokia, I was sad at first, BUT I will keep it cool and will support WP 8.1 no matter what, at the end what if other OEMs bring better quality? a Sony WP 8.1 would be amazing! I'd love to have it as I loved their XPeria Line of products
That's the spirit!

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think at this point in the game MS would be shooting themselves in the foot to just ditch Nokia on future phones. Why go through the trouble of acquiring Nokia to not take advantage of the name? Because some lame US survey told them so? Probably the same lame people that told them that red and cyan weren't desirable colors or that people want a phone with a metal band around the edge.

The thing is, Microsoft did not buy Nokia. They just bought their D&S division. Nokia remains an independent company and can return to devices in 2016 (Suri, Nokia's new CEO, left the door open for that to happen). So Microsoft doesn't have any option. They can't use the Nokia brand because they don't own Nokia and the license they forged in the deal clearly excluded Nokia X and Nokia Lumia devices from keeping the brand name.

A new license would be necessary and Eflop noted that it's not Microsoft's intention to get it. Why? Well, if I had to bet, it's because, as usual, Microsoft is US-centric and thinks the whole World revolves and works according to the will and whims of the US. But it will be deeply stupid from Microsoft to not try to, at least, expand the license until 2016. That way they could slowly remove the brand from the phones instead of doing so abruptly as they will (for example, instead of a logo on the front and back, put the Lumia logo on the front and Nokia's logo on the back. Then only on the camera etc and then slowly remove it)

Inferati

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Personally I could care less. If Sony releases a phone with Vaio branding that's what I'm going for irregardless :) But to be honest I would not have switched from Android if it wasn't for Nokia being here. So my guess is, it could affect people's thinking when switching in the future.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Only hard-core enthusiasts like us will care, one way or the other. RAM trucks stripped the Dodge name a couple of years ago and hardly anybody's noticed.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
some one posted on twitter and nokia guys responded saying windows phone will be still called nokia...will try and find the link...I trust nokia...I brought phones for it was nokia and the inoovation it has...iam sure same nokia team that will work under Microsoft will built greated phones...Hoping for next version of lumia 1020 soon....in india brand nokia is trusted blindly and I tell u nokia built quality is the best

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't bought my Lumia because of the brand I bought it because of the hardware and Lumia exclusive apps so no It doesn't matter in fact im more interested in Lumia right now I have seen MS hardware "surface" and I have seen Nokia hardware " lumia " so Microsoft + Nokia in one phone = epic smartphone :love:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
As much as I love Nokia. But let's be real, I hear this from people who buy galaxies and iPhones alot, Nokia is done, sadly.

They don't even say they about blackberry.

I think Microsoft will be a much powerful name.

Il surely miss that name, that tune.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I haven't bought my Lumia because of the brand I bought it because of the hardware and Lumia exclusive apps so no It doesn't matter in fact im more interested in Lumia right now I have seen MS hardware "surface" and I have seen Nokia hardware " lumia " so Microsoft + Nokia in one phone = epic smartphone :love:

For me I bought a Lumia because it's from Nokia, really.
I love ❤ Nokia.

kangibonk

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I just about to post about Microsoft replacing Nokia and found this thread.
Personally I'm quite sad, having been using Nokia as my first phone until now, Lumia 720.
Beyond the world of company acqusition, legal rights and all that, theres a strong link between a consumer and the brand of his/her choice. With Nokia, looking back at all that flip phones, candy bar phone, and all the unique shape phone, the technology has move to a monotech with the main feature the capacitive touch screen. Nokia attempt for uniqueness with the colorfull polycarbonate design is what makes me again clings to it. That time when Microsoft will totally replace Nokia will surely come, until that time I'm just going to enjoy my ringtone more and more.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
hope they ditch it at good reason, like over 60% work are done by Microsoft will be under their name and different type phone (not under lumia, asha eg: Microsoft Lumia 1830, Microsoft Asha 305)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk