WP is dead! What people are saying that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
You know... I kinda have to agree with you on this.

Microsoft Windows has left a very bad taste in millions of people's mouths and as a result WP has suffered.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

​Associating peoples thoughts with Windows Mobile ain't a great thing either.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You know... I kinda have to agree with you on this.

Microsoft Windows has left a very bad taste in millions of people's mouths and as a result WP has suffered.

Not necessarily, it is the kernal switch and reboot along with other silly decisions that has put where WP8.x is today. Furthermore when they killed windows mobile in favour of Wp7 they (MS) said that the exisiting devices would not be able to upgrade as they lacked the necessary hardware buttons (back, home, search keys) as they wanted the experience to remain consistent, fair enough. Look at the idiocy the OEMs have started spewing after they relaxed that requirement: using obscure dots in place of the capacitive buttons (Yezz, Xolo etc), using android styled buttons (Hi-Sense) just to cut corners and increase their profit margins and switching the buttons functionality around (I believe Xolo moved them around). MS should have mandated that they either use the capacitive buttons or use on screen buttons and nothing else can be used or altered.

However when they released the news that WP7 would have no upgrade path despite being a less than two years old to many who loved the UX felt incredibly shafted. As in their eyes there was not much difference between the UI of Wp7 & Wp8, this is what I meant by bone headed decisions in my previous post as in the race to get to the market as soon as possible they went with Windows CE yet only to back track a year+ later. The hub model could have worked if they tied in the ability to add to it instead of just closing it off completely therefore requiring O/S level patches.

Right now the only way to grow market share is volume but I am deeply concerned at the growing number of OEMs using non-standard capacitive buttons along with their complete & utter disregard for common sense.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Honestly the stereotypes of Android and iOS can get pretty crazy compared to Windows Phone primarily due to the huge number of consumers that own it.

I've not seen many stereotypes about Windows Phone as much as I see people complaining about the app gap on Windows Phone.

And the app gap isn't a stereotype, it's a genuine problem.

There are obviously stereotypes about Windows Phone out there, but I've seen that consumers stay away from Windows Phone due to logical reasons mostly(not because of stereotypes).

I believe that if a person owns a Windows Phone, he's not going to get tired of it because of the aesthetics.

Primarily because live tiles are colorful and breathe life into the OS, they can be resized and put anywhere similar to how Android handles widgets.

You could easily become tired of the icons of iOS, but not Android or Windows Phone, at least in my opinion.

But yes Windows Phone needs more apps, and better quality apps.

I believe that customization and simplicity and go together pretty easily, Android 4.4 allowed people to change the default SMS app and default launcher directly from settings.

It's not like Google forces you to customize your device, you could keep it simple or make it more detailed.

Windows Phone could also do the same without sacrificing any of the user experience.

Not really

As for live tiles I must say I hope something like maybe interactive live tiles would be great,music tile with pause,play etc buttons
You get the idea!! I love windows phone 8.1 otherwise and I feel a few bug fixes and USB otg support is the first priority

Last edited by a moderator:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
People are saying WP is dead only because it's Microsoft. Some people think the tiles are confusing others say it's slow and crashes like the pc. I just show them the speed and fluidity of the OS. Then I show how you can just use the app list. that's when they started getting interested. Maybe microsoft should remove the tiles or make it so that there is an option to use icons only like in iOS and Android. They already screwed up their reputation with windows 8.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
People are saying WP is dead only because it's Microsoft. Some people think the tiles are confusing others say it's slow and crashes like the pc. I just show them the speed and fluidity of the OS. Then I show how you can just use the app list. that's when they started getting interested. Maybe microsoft should remove the tiles or make it so that there is an option to use icons only like in iOS and Android. They already screwed up their reputation with windows 8.

i dont fully agree with removing live tiles
its what distingishes the os from the rest
look at BB10,it looks alot like android and ios in alot of ways and people still dont understand that BB10 is a rewrite from scratch or think its android
even when people see my windows phones,they think its the new android nokia phone aka nokia x
microsoft has made alot of mistakes and need to continue what nokia started in order to succeed (nokia is still one of the best oems ever worldwide)
you never see a nokia or a blackberry exploding or something like samsung, apple and htc thats how well made their products really are

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
i dont fully agree with removing live tiles
its what distingishes the os from the rest
look at BB10,it looks alot like android and ios in alot of ways and people still dont understand that BB10 is a rewrite from scratch or think its android
even when people see my windows phones,they think its the new android nokia phone aka nokia x
microsoft has made alot of mistakes and need to continue what nokia started in order to succeed (nokia is still one of the best oems ever worldwide)
you never see a nokia or a blackberry exploding or something like samsung, apple and htc thats how well made their products really are

In all my years with cellphones I have yet to see any explode under normal circumstances, but I can also say that my 1520 got physically hotter than any cellphone I have owned to date after getting the Developer Preview.

Honestly the stereotypes of Android and iOS can get pretty crazy compared to Windows Phone primarily due to the huge number of consumers that own it.

I've not seen many stereotypes about Windows Phone as much as I see people complaining about the app gap on Windows Phone.

And the app gap isn't a stereotype, it's a genuine problem.

There are obviously stereotypes about Windows Phone out there, but I've seen that consumers stay away from Windows Phone due to logical reasons mostly(not because of stereotypes).

I believe that if a person owns a Windows Phone, he's not going to get tired of it because of the aesthetics.

Primarily because live tiles are colorful and breathe life into the OS, they can be resized and put anywhere similar to how Android handles widgets.

You could easily become tired of the icons of iOS, but not Android or Windows Phone, at least in my opinion.

But yes Windows Phone needs more apps, and better quality apps.

I believe that customization and simplicity and go together pretty easily, Android 4.4 allowed people to change the default SMS app and default launcher directly from settings.

It's not like Google forces you to customize your device, you could keep it simple or make it more detailed.

Windows Phone could also do the same without sacrificing any of the user experience.

Your dead wrong about people not getting tired of the ascetics. Plenty of people do, myself included. Same for the iphones and this is a major problem with WP.

While many are satisfied with what comes out of the box for any platform, there are just as many who enjoy changing things up and gravitate to the platform that allows the most customization solely for that reason. WP has gotten better, but they need to allow more than they have to satisfy more people.

While the purist insist on not allowing things that another platform has to keep it unique, by doing so they are strangling the growth of the platform. What possible difference could it make to allow the various launchers, music and video players as well as browsers to entice those who are on Android and IOS to make the switch? This self defeating bias needs to go away, otherwise WP will continue to languish. Having true multitasking is another issue that needs to be reconciled.

The whole issue is about choice and the individual preferences, and being able to have it as you want it to look regardless of what phone you use.

To much emphasis has been put on not becoming like Android or IOS and I say until WP does it will remain a distant 3rd for platform choice. Apple has realized their mistakes and now is bending to their customers demands and Microsoft has to do the same if things are going to turn around for them. Unfortunately for everyone this isn't going to happen under the current administration since they have elected to bury their heads in the sand and now are trying to change the definition of market share to hide the reality of failure of the platform.

Some people may argue that this is just part of the total integration of WP into the desktop but it is nothing more than a admission of failure to capture a large piece of the mobile phone market over several years of trying to.

WP could easily be the #1 mobile platform of choice if they would really try understand what the public wants their phones to capable of doing and how they look instead of forcing their vision of what they want it to be.

While the app gap is a definite issue, it alone is not the real problem nor the sole reason the platform gets bashed by most reviewers nor is it the underlying cause of dislike of Microsoft.

I agree with you on that Microsoft could change for the better but it will take a fundamental change not only on their part but of many of its users part to do this.

That is the beauty of Android having the ability to make it how you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
If MS has plans to advertise in other countries not US only they will get what they deserve + physical stores are the way to success (my opinion)

In 24 countries, wp sales have already surpassed iPhone sales. I know in some countries like US, the growth rate has been flat. Lets hope it'll improve

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
In 24 countries, wp sales have already surpassed iPhone sales. I know in some countries like US, the growth rate has been flat. Lets hope it'll improve

You must also consider that iPhone is made for people that can afford it, it's priced way higher than the lowest priced Windows Phone.

In the countries where Windows Phone is more popular, I'm pretty sure it's because of budget devices like the 520.

But a lot of the same people always go for Android or iPhone when they get enough money for a flagship.

This is something I've noticed, I could be wrong.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ya agree what you say.But my biggest question to all people who go for low end android is wp is stellar performance in low end unlike laggy androids.still I cant believe how people live with lags nd hangs.it is not a good way to experience apps or even games.it is a strange world ha haaa.
From Windows phone

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Ya agree what you say.But my biggest question to all people who go for low end android is wp is stellar performance in low end unlike laggy androids.still I cant believe how people live with lags nd hangs.it is not a good way to experience apps or even games.it is a strange world ha haaa.
From Windows phone

I have a latest gen iPod touch and the new iOS 8 lags like crazy on it. Apple cant even optimize their OS too.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey your reply is out of context I compare low end android with low end wp not great iOS.those who are buying iPhones in India are buying it for showing off not using its full features.iPhone in India is like owning Mercedes benze to give you bragging rights.my friends buy iPhone to attract girls that's it.not using full features.it is a great piece to make people small about thier own device.
From Windows phone

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
From Windows phone

good question, I think I've the answer, apps my aunts bought one of the most lagging phones in the world because it has Tango (she don't use it :/) + it needs good reputation , here in Saudi Arabia people still think that Nokia phones are the worst because its history.
I am really sad because rebranding but it will help WP to grow in SA

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That's why I told strange world good products are not definitely popular product.One thing Ms is ahead of android is user experience which is unmatched even in low end but still failing.i wish atleast people who suffered because of lagging issues in low or mid end android should give wp a chance.what is point in having a phone which freezes when u have to talk.feature phones are better compared to android.android has only one advantage which is apppps nd gamesss.anyway low end android user cannot install all those apps because of low memory problem or crashes.
From Windows phone

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey your reply is out of context I compare low end android with low end wp not great iOS.those who are buying iPhones in India are buying it for showing off not using its full features.iPhone in India is like owning Mercedes benze to give you bragging rights.my friends buy iPhone to attract girls that's it.not using full features.it is a great piece to make people small about thier own device.
From Windows phone

If girls in your region are attracted on the basis of what phone a guy has, you need to get the hell out of there.

Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar