09-29-2014 11:11 AM
52 123
tools
    People must've forgotten when Ellen gave away Lumia 1520s to audience members on her show.
    If I remember correctly......Yes she gave away 1520s but this was a push by a phone/service provider. I forget which one, but the phones would have been locked to AT&T or who ever.

She didn't even hold the phone itself.....just talked about the prize is this phone from this national phone company bla bla bla 3g/4g/LTE

If Microsoft is to have a Star catch fire with a product, they will have to think outside the box ( Not really their thing these days ).

It's not easy to launch an advert that hits and explodes like Jordan/Spike Lee/Nike "it must be the shoes", or a very old "Where's the Beef"

Apple hit with Hi I'm a Mac..... but Apple knows how to market its brand.

I do think Microsoft are starting to fine tune in the right direction, showing real world people using real world apps under a Windows brand.

Focus on product not fluff !!!! Plus a false step by a well known name could undo any gains in a heart beat.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-20-2014 10:40 PM
    Sadly, celebrities will always revert to iPhone. They also paid Gwen Stefani to use an HTC 8X. You can even find tweets from her sent from Twitter for WP8 and, not long after that, you'll see how she starts posting nonstop from Twitter for iPhone. Back then, the WP experience was lacking.
    No, they paid Gwen Stefani to pose with a HTC 8X in her hand. That doesn't mean she ever used it.
    09-21-2014 01:20 AM
    Celebrity endorsements??? ...bah!!
    I'd rather believe a celebrity if he/she said she doesn't use such & such a phone.... but that would be as rare as rear-end droppings of a rocking horse!!
    09-21-2014 01:50 AM
    The Helen - iPhone 6 looks so fake...just look at the apple on the phone, and her index finger. Doesn't even looks like it's touching the phone. Not buying it...must be photoshoped!

Sent from Lumia 930.
    09-21-2014 06:25 AM
    Because it rarely ever work?
    09-21-2014 08:39 AM
    Because WP is for some unique people like us, not for the famous ones.😝 lol
    09-21-2014 08:44 AM
    Ellen DeGeneres just post a "selfie" with iPhone 6 plus on Instagram
    Tumblr: The Ellen DeGeneres Show

And it "only" gets over 100k likes in 30 minutes! Why Microsoft never do something like this?

They can throw away 2.5 billions dollar to buy a game company just to make it become a trash and can't even hire somebody to promote their phone?
    Because wp users have brain
    09-21-2014 08:55 AM
    Actually I recall Andy Samberg from Lonely Island doing a commercial about his Windows Phone.
    Also, Will Arnet did one too.

Lumia's appeared in the Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, Transformers: Age if Extintion, Sherlock, and a LOT more movies and series.
    There's Lumia 1020 in Katy Perry's Roar, and a Lumia 930 in Katy Perry's This Is How We Do.
    09-21-2014 09:14 AM
    Because wp users have brain
    developer don't care if they have smart or dumb users. They need the quantity rather than the quality to sell their apps.
    09-21-2014 09:18 AM
    Celebs will use Apple no matter what because it's "sexy". That's how things are today.
    If I was MS I'd put ads with "ordinary", everyday people using WP for their everyday tasks. Simple ads without any "fashion fuss".
    Of course, MS shouldn't feature ad with a guy like me, who still waits for WP8.1 on his L822. Yeahhhh, MS+Verizon.
    09-21-2014 10:59 AM
    I sure don't use my 930 because some celeb uses one. And I really don't care about one either doing a selfie on a iPhone. I use my WindowsPhone because its my phone OS of choice.
    09-21-2014 11:44 AM
    I sure don't use my 930 because some celeb uses one. And I really don't care about one either doing a selfie on a iPhone. I use my WindowsPhone because its my phone OS of choice.
    I agree with you, even if tomorrow Android has 100% market share in the world, I'll still stick to WP. Its a personal choice
    09-21-2014 11:48 AM
    No, they paid Gwen Stefani to pose with a HTC 8X in her hand. That doesn't mean she ever used it.
    She did use it. But not for long.
    09-21-2014 12:56 PM
    09-22-2014 12:01 AM
    Don't you remember the deal with Jessica Alba?

How about the commercials with Will Arnet?

​Microsoft has tried that, but it doesn't seem to have much impact.
    09-24-2014 09:45 AM
    Regarding tv shows with Windows Phones, the character of Olivia Pope on Scandal, uses a Windows Phone. Let's see what she uses in the upcoming season:)
    Yup! Scandal is back on and Olivia Pope is toting a Lumia Icon:)
    jonathanrn and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-28-2014 08:50 PM
    Lumia phones have been on every Hawaii Five-O episode since the first season. Shots of the display are quite prominent.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-28-2014 09:28 PM
    Most episodes of NCIS feature multiple windows phones.... Saw the 1520 a few times, 928, and a few others.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-28-2014 09:38 PM
    Lumia phones have been on every Hawaii Five-O episode since the first season. Shots of the display are quite prominent.
    I didn't knew that. Thanks for the info
    09-28-2014 09:39 PM
    I didn't knew that. Thanks for the info
    Maybe if you took your eyes off Grace Park for a minute you'd notice. Impossible to believe she's 40.
    09-28-2014 09:57 PM
    Also on The Bridge, they use Lumias!!! If you want to see sth, you look for it. ;)
    Sent from Lumia 930
    09-29-2014 07:52 AM
    Also on The Bridge, they use Lumias!!! If you want to see sth, you look for it. ;)
    Sent from Lumia 930
    ... Yeah, but what about The Fappening... They used I Phones for that. /s
    09-29-2014 07:59 AM
    Celebrity advertising may put products in front of people, but it is so easy to backfire. Ellen's famous Samsung sponsored selfie at the awards show was undermined when the previous tweet in her feed was a pic taken from her personal iPhone. Microsoft's attempts to market Surface tablets in NFL games was undermined by ***** broadcasters who called them "iPads" on-air. In situations like that, it's easy to see when a celebrity is on the take, or for the message to get mangled.

I think Microsoft is doing a decent job, from people talking about TV shows that are using WP handsets. Exposure is nice where ever you can get it, but I don't know if it sales products anyway. Are Mac sales up because Apple makes sure that every cool character in TV and movies is using a MacBook on-screen? I doubt it moves very many units off the shelves, but it helps keep a product in consumer's minds when considering a new purchase.
    09-29-2014 09:32 AM
    Celebrity advertising may put products in front of people, but it is so easy to backfire. Ellen's famous Samsung sponsored selfie at the awards show was undermined when the previous tweet in her feed was a pic taken from her personal iPhone. Microsoft's attempts to market Surface tablets in NFL games was undermined by ***** broadcasters who called them "iPads" on-air. In situations like that, it's easy to see when a celebrity is on the take, or for the message to get mangled.

I think Microsoft is doing a decent job, from people talking about TV shows that are using WP handsets. Exposure is nice where ever you can get it, but I don't know if it sales products anyway. Are Mac sales up because Apple makes sure that every cool character in TV and movies is using a MacBook on-screen? I doubt it moves very many units off the shelves, but it helps keep a product in consumer's minds when considering a new purchase.
    Samsung and selfie reminds me of the brouhaha surrounding Big Papi Ortiz and Obama.

Obama-Ortiz selfie earns White House rebuke for Samsung - Politics - The Boston Globe
    09-29-2014 10:02 AM
    Regarding tv shows with Windows Phones, the character of Olivia Pope on Scandal, uses a Windows Phone. Let's see what she uses in the upcoming season:)
    House of Cards
    09-29-2014 10:41 AM
52 123