Microsoft is not ready to do "whatever it takes" for Windows Mobile

JohnIvory

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Give me a break. I have too much invested in this platform and MS services to just walk away. This is a thread on a message board and you're having a hissy fit/mantrum over this? Sorry but that's just hilarious. Go get a drink, come back and have a laugh over what you wrote. I promise it will feel better.

Yeah, Windows is always under development. It's a preview, it's coming soon, wait until next year, where's the beef. We all know the lines. MS should make a t-shirt. :grin:

Lol, asking you to leave is a hissy fit? Like I said I'm tired. This isn't even what my main thread was about. Your beef with the OS seems centred almost entirely on what the UI is turning into. Can't and won't argue with you over that as that basically boils down to personal taste and aesthetics. Microsoft is fond of rebooting for one reason only: nothing they've done so far has worked. Would totally buy a coming soon t-shirt tho.

kunal tipre

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I guess the answer to you then is LEAVE. I'm tired of this discussion. If you don't like where the company is going, and you think that there is better value on other platforms, leave. I'm not here to convince anyone to stay. I like what Windows Phone/Mobile has to offer. Personally live tiles ALONE are the biggest selling point of Windows Phone, and since my needs from my phone are not that great it's a perfect fit for me. That may not be the case for you and so you are welcome to leave.

And in case you didn't read: Windows 10 Mobile is STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT. Expected the same feature-set and polish on an OS that is being developed vs. on one that has been released and has a fixed API is silly and impossible. This is a transitionary period. Have there been a lot of these? Actually no; we haven't had something like this since 2012 with the launch of Windows Phone 8. If this is one too many for you, leave. If you feel like your money is better invested elsewhere, leave. Personally, all the things I mentioned are enough to keep me on Windows Mobile for the foreseeable future.
This platform have potential and great design that fits for me. All major messenger apps works fine. I dont know why other people wants so many things from a smarphone.
Dont try to compare it with other platform with rich ecosystem windows phone has nice design smooth interface. I think it will make difference after RTM build in december.
Have patience love microsoft

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Are you kidding? All the basic features are on bb10 for a long time.

We have regular updates via OTA but it is for added features and bug fix. The basics are there already and easy to use.

WP must have all the basics by now right?

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I did for about 2 years. Now I have many different WP phone at home and every one runs for their phone if a ring for new message is heard. Why? Coz still you can not customize different tones. Lol.
Swiched to android few months ago and now I know when its my phone, while others still run. He he he. Now I can send and receive whatsapp music...others cant.
So many are the things I feel so easy now on android. Sending files over bluetooth, carry all my movies/songs collection on a pen drive and use OTG, instead of overhyped cloud sh!t. Continnum is great, no doubt, but you'll always have to keep your device connected to net and depend on net, which is extremely bad idea in India. WiFi/3G is so costly and so scaresly available.
So many things are there but lets not go deeper. So many requests I see in forums and that for basic operations.
Now W10 is here but can I just select any song from music and set at ringtone? Can I select multiple videos and photos at same time in gallery? Can I sort gallery the way I want? Is there USB OTG? Can I use the star features without cortana(set alarms, quiet hours etc)? Can I manage mobile storage like I could in Symbian or atlest android? Can I take local back up on my PC? Can I send files over bluetooth so easily as symbian? Can I lock individual apps/gallery like android? Can I hand write on mobile screen like android?
So many builds of W10 are out now but no one talks about these anywhere. Only about cortana, continum, universal apps, 3D touch -all hifi things.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I recommend you guys check out the differences between CISC and RISC. There is good reason why Intel is not gaining traction on mobile phones. More importantly you should study Windows Runtime.
Clearly there must be something wrong if WP fans think the future of WP is running desktop (Win32) applications.

Summary: Intel ISA is a mess, phones need to be small/fast/efficient, Intel is not the leader in performance or efficiency in mobile (and will likely never be), there needs to be applications designed for phones (with a more limited API).

Right. What bothers me most is, that Microsoft had the chance to push ARM into desktop with Windows RT. However the failed by not allowing desktop apps to be installed on Windows RT and they failed even more by discontinuing Windows RT. It was of strategic relevance for Microsoft keeping Windows RT afloat. Without Windows RT, no one is porting desktop apps to ARM and by doing so removing the dependence on x86. So that ship sailed for Microsoft.
Now lets look at the competition? Google is merging Android with Chrome OS in 2017 and i can see Apple merging iOS with OSX once they made the move to in-house ARM cores for OSX.
Microsoft had its big advantage with Windows RT 4 years ahead of the competition but they dropped the ball - as always.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
MS likes to ditch and run..ignoring users after whom they will run afterwards to get them back...We should all say thank you to MR. Nadella for all this...ever since he came nothing but bad things have happened: latest OneDrive storage fiasco, lower quality on MS's products, PR and marketing for WP a total mess and incompetence, Windows 10 still feels like a beta OS with many bugs etc. I once used to like MS, but I refuse to still go along the guinea pig road. no more. when MS decides to put some decent quality and stop making fun of it's users maybe I'll come back.

Sergiu Baiatu

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Continuum was first envisaged by others, Canonical for one was talking about it 3 years ago. They actually started working on it but not having the resources of MS it won't be easy. The phone-desktop integration is fantastic on iOS-MacOS.
In about 18 months Google will release it's integrated Chrome-Android OS that will blow away MS. From that moment I give a maximum of 5 years before MS is taken apart and sold part by part. Windows Phone will probably be just liquidated or sold for scraps....

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Continuum was first envisaged by others, Canonical for one was talking about it 3 years ago. They actually started working on it but not having the resources of MS it won't be easy. The phone-desktop integration is fantastic on iOS-MacOS.
In about 18 months Google will release it's integrated Chrome-Android OS that will blow away MS. From that moment I give a maximum of 5 years before MS is taken apart and sold part by part. Windows Phone will probably be just liquidated or sold for scraps....
Microsoft envisioned convergence since the first day of Windows Phone in 199x. They shipped WP7 with the CE kernel just to rush a product to the market, but before even releasing WP7 the convergence to the NT kernel had already started.

It's good to see Google and Apple following the company that is innovating. Good luck with the catch up.

GMC262

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft needs to be in "mobile" to remain relevant but they may be able to do that without producing their own phones. That seems to be what Nadella was referring to when he said (I'm paraphrasing) devices come and go-it's more important is that your experience be mobile, rather than any specific device.

msnawe

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
5 years to achieve convergence... what a achievement.

To be honest it's surprising Google is bothering with that. Seamless access to a service across multiple devices is valuable, convergence of the software is nice but not worth spending all this effort doing it. Besides if it takes 5 years, it raises questions about the software we are trying to rescue or how teams are managed.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
So this actually happened this week:

Boss: (Also one of the companies owners, man of means, Apple lover willing to be swayed): Hey! I love my SP3/Win10/Dock/Ultra Wide monitor. Go ahead and wipe my MacBook so we can resell it. BTW - are there Windows 10 phones?

Me: They'll be coming soon, but we're.....

Boss (Interrupting): Awesome! Get me one of those also!

Me: Umm, well, Verizon (and all that)..... (FYI - we have no indoor ATT signal, so switching is not an option)

Boss: Hmmm, OK. Well they'll get some soon. They're Microsoft so they'll be able to do it. It won't be too long will it?

Me: Wellllll....I wouldn't hold your breath on that. Not too many people see that happening at all. Gang turf type standoff between those two.

Boss: You're 'ffn me! Don't they want those things to succeed?! They'll never make it like that. Forget it.....

So there you have it. An outsider with no awareness of any of the backstory. Wants to make the leap with Windows Phone with the best available. Would buy a new flagship every year - he's been well trained by Apple. In short, the type of customer you really, really want. Goes from curious to euphoric to disappointed to pissed off in less than a minute. So yeah - I would say Microsoft is not doing everything possible...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes