10-12-2014 09:32 PM
64 123
tools
    I'm running BlackBerry, and while some people don't mind running Android apps on their BlackBerrys, I preferably don't. I have a few, like Tapatalk for example and it works pretty good but there is nothing like a good native app. And the ability to install apk's on anything other than an Android phone is only a temporary fix.
    RJ Priest likes this.
    10-07-2014 01:10 PM
    I can wait. I don't mind as long as we have native apps. If we did get Android apps I wouldn't use even one of them.
    My dear I am not talking about Android apps I just need some app and I don't matter what is they extension if it .apk or .ipa or .exe noting that most of the app available for iPhone & Android and PC's but not for WP.
    10-07-2014 01:10 PM
    The sandbox approach like BlackBerry did is a band aid, not a sustainable solution. We should want quality native apps, not something running in a virtual machine.
    10-07-2014 01:11 PM
    What we are missing are :
    Snapchat
    Official YouTube
    Candy Crush
    Clash of clans and then I think that's the most needed apps done already. WP has come a really long way.
    Snapchat - Never used it but others do so fair enough.
    Official YouTube - While Google continue with their mission of WP hate this won't ever happen.
    Candy Crush - King won't develop for WP so I'm not interested in their apps if they aren't interested in developing for the platform I use.
    Clash of Clans - Not really needed as we have Total Conquest which is pretty much the same game with a different name, not only that but AoE: Castle Siege is pretty good as well.
    10-07-2014 01:15 PM
    Your English isn't bad.

The whole idea of getting Android apps to earn marketshare isn't a silver bullet, it'll be a frustration that may force existing Windows Phone users back to Android.

If a Windows Phone user doesn't have an app, he'll learn to deal with it. But the frustration that would come with downloading an .apk, updating it manually every few days and the crashes that would come with the apps being unoptimised.

On the other hand if Microsoft allowed an Amazon App Store or some of the other stores that have .apks, that could be a better move.
    Speak for yourself on going back to android. If I disappear from here, you'll likely find me on imore. :)
    10-07-2014 02:19 PM
    The most foolish question I ever saw. It will eventually kill all WP developers and have to rely on Google forever. Plus, Android apps on WP?? Yuck
    10-07-2014 02:28 PM
    Snapchat - Never used it but others do so fair enough.
    Official YouTube - While Google continue with their mission of WP hate this won't ever happen.
    Candy Crush - King won't develop for WP so I'm not interested in their apps if they aren't interested in developing for the platform I use.
    Clash of Clans - Not really needed as we have Total Conquest which is pretty much the same game with a different name, not only that but AoE: Castle Siege is pretty good as well.
    People want to play with their friends though. And people don't want to sacrifice their progress. Believe it or not. Nowadays these apps are deal breakers
    10-07-2014 02:47 PM
    People want to play with their friends though. And people don't want to sacrifice their progress. Believe it or not. Nowadays these apps are deal breakers
    Total Conquest is available on ALL platforms anyway, if King don't want to develop for WP then users can't do anything about that can they. As I said with Google hating on WP for no reason we will NEVER see an official YouTube app.
    10-07-2014 03:06 PM
    Speak for yourself on going back to android. If I disappear from here, you'll likely find me on imore. :)
    Like I said, it "may" cause Windows Phone users to switch to another platform because manually installing and updating .apks can eventually become frustrating.
    10-07-2014 03:28 PM
    Like I said, it "may" cause Windows Phone users to switch to another platform because manually installing and updating .apks can eventually become frustrating.
    It's not frustrating at all. Amazon Appstore has a nice UI, and Snap (Google Play client) is really nice too. Sure you can't get Google services app, but the most important app, Google Maps, doesn't require Google Services.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30
    10-07-2014 03:38 PM
    It's not frustrating at all. Amazon Appstore has a nice UI, and Snap (Google Play client) is really nice too. Sure you can't get Google services app, but the most important app, Google Maps, doesn't require Google Services.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android on a BlackBerry Z30
    Read my original post. I already said that if they add a market, like the Amazon App Store then it wouldn't be frustrating and could "maybe" prove to be useful.
    10-07-2014 05:23 PM
    As I think about this more, I would be concerned about how jarring of a experience it would be. WP has a design language of its own like Android and iOS. And as soon as various design languages are in one OS it is a bit confusing.
    10-07-2014 07:40 PM
    I certainly do understand people switching platforms out of frustration, although to switch to a different platform such as blackberry os 10 and above or android; the option for manually updating and installing apk is still an option regardless of the switch. I also do understand that there are a handful of phone users that simply do not have time or are not willing to put effort into manual updating.
    clvrbas likes this.
    10-07-2014 07:44 PM
    I certainly do understand people switching platforms out of frustration, although to switch to a different platform such as blackberry os 10 and above or android; the option for manually updating and installing apk is still an option regardless of the switch. I also do understand that there are a handful of phone users that simply do not have time or are not willing to put effort into manual updating.
    Its also a no guarantee that the app will work as smooth or proper. Ports and sandboxing is not always a smooth process. It would also limit any app that wanted to use google services such as drive for a backups.
    10-07-2014 08:08 PM
    SiriusXM
    Deer Hunter 2014
    Dino Hunter
    Madden 2014
    Local News
    10-07-2014 09:07 PM
    The Windows Phone OS already takes up more than 3GB on my 630.

Android app support will add to that.

You're saying that you're fine with shafting users of phones with 4GB storage?
    10-07-2014 10:02 PM

You look like you support 4 GB devices. Are you saying we should not upgrade Windows Phone and all revert to Portico?
    10-07-2014 10:34 PM
    You know why manually updating will become frustrating? Because:

You'll have to update it every now and then

You'll have to find a site to download the .apk from, also a fuss.

If an update breaks the app on your phone, tough luck.

People will realize more and more that they truly do need Android apps more than Windows Phone apps, and they wouldn't be able to deal with the ones that crash so often and eventually they'll move to a platform with more apps; be it Android or iOS.

Getting an App Store may alleviate some of these problems, but I would still recommend against a decision like this.

It's not like Android apps will come pre-installed on your phone, so storage shouldn't be a problem.

I've also found that a lot of apps on Android are smaller in size than the iOS and Windows Phone counterparts.
    10-08-2014 02:20 AM
    What am I reading here! It is not problem in manually installation and updating. It is problem that WP is totaly diferent platform than Android. You can not run or even install android app (or any other platform app) on WP. App must be compiled (programing thing) for specific platform. Android app are mostly written in Java and run on ART (now), Dalvik (then) runtime enviroment. WP doesn't support Java and doesn't even have ART. WP apps are written in C# and use completely different runtime enviroment. You could write App in native language (C++) but there are problema with APIs and platform specific things.

Forget the idea of having Android Apps on WP. It is imposible!
    10-08-2014 02:36 AM
    What we are missing are :
    Snapchat
    Official YouTube
    Candy Crush
    Clash of clans and then I think that's the most needed apps done already. WP has come a really long way.
    official youtube for what?so google can track our data and so we can waste our data plan on adverts?
    i dont use the official youtube app on any of the other platform phones/tablets which i have

jasmine(ios),metrotube and youtube hd(wp) are wayy better than the official app
    neo158 likes this.
    10-08-2014 03:28 AM
    @ op the idea is that windows phone is piracy free and malware free
    on android malware and piracy are very very prevailent and are common unlike ios,bb10,wp
    i agree they should perhaps give an option to run apks like BB10 so we get apps which may never reach BB10 or get delayed but the piracy issue would come to wp then
    i guess the best thing would be a compiler like the early days of QNX and BB10 where .apks had to be converted to .bar and signed by the dev to be submitted to the app world
    10-08-2014 03:32 AM
    At this point of time, I really need Real Racing 3 on WP.... That's it. Or if Real Racing 2 gets free and enables the support for 512 ram phones I'll be more than happy. I agree Asphalt 8 : Airborne is a great alternative to it but, if Real Racing 3 comes then we'll have a variety of good racing on WP. Other than that, I don't even give a damn to other apps on Android. However, if Amazon Store comes to WP, I'll be more than satisfied.
    10-08-2014 04:04 AM
    official youtube for what?so google can track our data and so we can waste our data plan on adverts?
    i dont use the official youtube app on any of the other platform phones/tablets which i have

jasmine(ios),metrotube and youtube hd(wp) are wayy better than the official app
    If Google truly wanted to track your data plan it can do it regardless of whatever client you use, because in the end they all use YouTube.

Advertisements aren't so that Google the evil company earns tons of money from you innocent customers.

Advertisements are a way with which content creators on YouTube can earn money to support their channels, advertisements are optional for video creators and watching a few seconds of ads every now and then won't hurt your budget, but it will help the video maker that you are watching.

And also another consideration is that the YouTube APIs can change overnight, leaving the third party clients useless until the developer updates the app, which can take hours or days, making the official YouTube app more reliable.

Add to that, YouTube on Android also gives me notifications when my favourite channel uploads a video, you've got yourself arguably the best YouTube app ever.

Windows Phone could use a few Android apps, YouTube is definitely one of them.

@ op the idea is that windows phone is piracy free and malware free
    on android malware and piracy are very very prevailent and are common unlike ios,bb10,wp
    i agree they should perhaps give an option to run apks like BB10 so we get apps which may never reach BB10 or get delayed but the piracy issue would come to wp then
    i guess the best thing would be a compiler like the early days of QNX and BB10 where .apks had to be converted to .bar and signed by the dev to be submitted to the app world
    Allowing .apks and piracy are different things, Windows Phone wouldn't be malware and piracy filled just because .apks would be available.

But my solution would be possibly getting an App Store like Amazon instead of manually installing .apks, but Microsoft has probably already researched on this and thought that Android .apks weren't the way to go.

However bashing Android won't help, if Android we're as piracy filled and malware filled I would like to ask two questions:

Why do developers still make more money on Android than Windows Phone despite the OS being "piracy ridden"?

If Android we're as "malware ridden" as you call it why hasn't everyone moved to another OS? Why does Android continue to grow?

But I suppose this isn't the thread for those questions, and nor is it the thread to bash Android and Google, so stop it already.
    Samy Ibrahim likes this.
    10-08-2014 04:38 AM
    ^^dont kid
    people publish apps on android because they want money by displaying ads
    android is malware ridden but its not growing as you like to think,its saturated and at a standstill
    if you see carefully the thread title mentions android and apk,so yeah android bashing should be expected
    you should go to androidcentral if you dont like others pointing out issues in your beloved android
    about youtube- are you saying google doesnt earn by displaying ads? you are seriously misinformed

allowing .apk installs = piracy ,i bet nearly all youngsters have pirated apps on android
    many devs dont develop for android because it has alot of piracy
    my own apps on android dont offer a pro version and display ads etc on android because my team thinks alot of people will pirate it anyway(we havent released the apps yet,they are snapchat like IM clients)
    we are developing and releasing it on BB10 ,WP and ios before rolling it out to android so we can recover costs
    10-08-2014 08:44 AM
    10-08-2014 08:48 AM
64 123