What is the advantage anymore of WP over iPhone?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Dont forget, iTunes. Biggest piece of s&*& software on the planet.
Its f'in 2014, why do i need to connect my computer to my phone, i got my own cloud, i just want to save stuff from there.

Its not iPhones, its Apples eco system that is a problem. Most non tech people don't understand that once your sucked in, its hard to leave.

Look at Microsoft fitness band - works on WP, iOS and Android. Will iWatch do the same, no.

iMessage and icloud? Same again - OneDrive, OneNote works across all platforms.

Apples OS are designed to suck u in and make it hard to leave. Why do they do that?

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
"...but Microsoft always seems to get their priorities wrong."
What?!
So, they release their software and concentrate on the market that is close to a billion users rather than on the market that has less than 40 million. I would say they got their priorities spot on!
You are speaking from a user's perspective. If you own a business you will know how ridiculous that sounds. Microsoft is not making much, if any, from hardware. Phone sales is not a huge factor for them. Their core business is software. Restricting that software to WP users just so they can have bragging rights would be beyond stupid.
But, if you keep it on WP devices that would be a reason to switch. Nope. They tried that. It didn't work. Sooner or later they gotta stop being fanboys and be a business.

You are correct, it is great for Microsoft but not great for Windows Phone users. If Microsoft is going to continue to make software optimized for iPhone and Android first and Windows Phone second why should I use Windows Phone? Xbox Music Pass works on my iPhone 6 Plus but doesn't work on my Lumia 1520. Office apps are better on iPhone than Windows Phone. Once Cortana is on iPhone and Android what services will be left? If Amazon, Google, Apple-- and now Microsoft-- won't design high quality apps for Windows Phone why as a customer should I buy a Windows Phone? What exactly is the point of Microsoft continuing to produce Windows Phone, why did they buy Nokia for $6.65 billion, if this is their strategy? Frankly, I have no idea where Microsoft is going with Windows Phone anymore and I'm not confident their executives know either.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You can't change your financial forte overnight. Rome wasnt built in a day, but changing Rome to New York is what some are expecting. That too will take time. Why would MSFT shift everything to WP and ignore software output to everyone when they're making their money from software?! Trust me, as a WP user for 5 years I to get a little put off by seeing MSFT software products being better optimized on other phones (iOS, Android). However you have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. 2015 will ultimately prove to be a year of reckoning for WP. MSFT is really banking on the "One Windows" to rule them all theme and if it's a hit (which I think it will be) the phone variant of windows just might be the biggest beneficiary. Imagine and iPhone user who uses Office, Bing, and if it happens Cortana because they're all available. That person might be more inclined to look at what more Windows has to offer. You compound that with those who own other Windows running devices. Without having MSFT software on other OSes, what would give someone reason to entertain WP?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Dont forget, iTunes. Biggest piece of s&*& software on the planet.
Its f'in 2014, why do i need to connect my computer to my phone, i got my own cloud, i just want to save stuff from there.

You go right ahead and store all your sensitive data on someone else's servers. Ask Home Depot, Target or Jennifer Lawrence how they feel about cloud storage. I've got an idea. Now work with me 'cause they may sound outlandish. How about phone manufacturers put in these little fingernail-size chips called microSD cards? I know it's 2014, but they haven't built a better mousetrap yet. Newer doesn't mean better, which is why our primary mode of transportation is still the Otto-cycle internal combustion engine.

werner6769

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Third party keyboards have been around for quite a few years now and they're still not even close. WP got it right from the very get go in 2010 and it has not been altered one bit since WP7. Throw in Microsoft's predictive text and it's not a fair fight. Even the harshest WP critics, and there are more than a few, agree it's the best text input out there. The Sense keyboard is very nice but it fails miserably at word prediction. You would think that someone would've come up with something better by now but it hasn't materialized.

Didn't even know about the keyboard when I moved to WP. It was for the live tiles initially. But once I used it, it just is the best keyboard I have ever used on a smartphone. I have used android 2.3, 4, and ios on an iPod touch 4. Never tried the BlackBerry 10 on screen keyboard.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Didn't even know about the keyboard when I moved to WP. It was for the live tiles initially. But once I used it, it just is the best keyboard I have ever used on a smartphone. I have used android 2.3, 4, and ios on an iPod touch 4. Never tried the BlackBerry 10 on screen keyboard.

The WP keyboard is indeed excellent, and the version with 8.1 is even better than the WP8 version was in my view. I have tried multiple other devices, to include 3rd party keyboard apps, and WP's is better than all of them.

xxfuzzyxx

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps ms would like to gain a large user base for all the ms apps and get them hooked then when w10 arrives surprise windows and windows mobile get precedence and all upgrades and updates go to windows products first while other os wait in envy. So then why wait when u can just get a windows device 😊. Have faith im sure there is a method behind the madness lol.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
2015 will ultimately prove to be a year of reckoning for WP.

You must be new around here. :wink:

I've been with Windows Phone since 2010 and I've heard that every year. Microsoft keeps kicking the Windows Phone ball down the road with the "Wait until next year" mantra. That is fine, if that's the way you want to live your life.

I guess the conclusion that I have come to is that, with Microsoft's current strategy, you don't need to keep waiting until next year. You can have all that and more if you switch to a different mobile OS. You don't even need to leave the Microsoft ecosystem if that is your preference. Having all their apps on competing platforms makes the exit surprisingly easy, which is a really great thing in my eyes -- unless you hold out any sort of hope that Windows Phone will be anything more than a very distant 3rd option in the mobile space. As long as that remains the case, WP will never have the leverage they need to get out of the ridiculous exclusivity deals they've got going with the U.S. carriers and see the growth they should have had by now. It's a %$@#& shame what has been allowed to happened to the Icon -- our current flagship phone. Disgraceful.

However, it's not all that bad if you can come to terms with the reality that this strategy is actually very liberating. Not being tied to Windows Phone in its current state and being allowed to move freely about the various competing operating systems without very much hassle is great.

2014 is not going to be remembered as a good year for Windows Phone, but "just wait until next year"! :wink:

Last edited:

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
For me:
+ Lumia Cameras
+ Not wanting to support Apple Inc.
+ Don't like the Apple interfaces

I'm sure iphones are great (they better be for how much they cost), but there's just nothing there that would make me seriously consider switching, short of Microsoft totally abandoning the Windows Phone platform, packing it in, and going home. Then it would be a lesser of two evils, and Apple would be the lesser of the two.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
IPhone-
No fm
No file manager
No sd card support
No Bluetooth ftp
No micro USB
No MTP
Mediocre camera
No camera button
No manual focus for camera
Non removable battery
Bends easily
Static and bland icons instead of live tiles
No Xbox games
Less apps as compared to WP in India(Eg. You can't book train tickets in India using ios, no official IRCTC app available)
And many many more qualms...... Never gonna get an apple product. Way to overpriced for way less features as compared to WP.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
IPhone-
No fm
No file manager
No sd card support
No Bluetooth ftp
No micro USB
No MTP
Mediocre camera
No camera button
Non removable battery
Bends easily
No Xbox games
Less apps as compared to WP in India(Eg. You can't book train tickets in India using ios, no official IRCTC app available)
And many many more qualms...... Never gonna get an apple product. Way to overpriced for way less features as compared to WP.
No live tiles, proprietary cord, no qi charging, iTunes (nuf said), WP are a better bang for your buck.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Didn't read the entire thread.

For me it's:

1. Cortana;
  2. Live Tiles;
  3. Range of devices;
  4. Cameras (Lumia specifically);

Yes, it lacks much and has issues, but IMO it's more productive than the iPhone.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
IPhone-
No fm
No file manager
No sd card support
No Bluetooth ftp
No micro USB
No MTP
Mediocre camera
No camera button
Non removable battery
Bends easily
No Xbox games

I can counter every single one of those:

No FM - Most Windows Phones lack FM Radio as well, oh well there's always TuneIn Radio or the plethora of other apps for Digital Radio.
No File Manager - Has to be downloaded separately on both WP and Android so none of them ship with one OoTB.
No SD Card Support - Neither do any of the current Android and most of the Flagship Windows Phones, next!!!
No Bluetooth FTP - Neither does WP OoTB.
No microUSB - As of 2016 that WILL change in the EU, rest of the world might as well as it would be cheaper to have one model instead of two.
No MTP - Jailbreaking would allow this to be added I guess but OoTB no it doesn't.
Mediocre Camera - Depends on what you're looking for as a camera, that's your opinion.
No Camera Button - Neither do new Windows Phones, so what's your point?
No manual focus for camera - Most Windows Phones don't either.
Non removable battery - Neither do the flagship Windows Phones either, the only exception is the ATIV S which has both a removable battery and SD Card Slot.
Bends easily - Design Flaw, moving on!!!
Static and bland icons instead of live tiles - Again, another opinion. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean live tiles appeal to everyone.
No Xbox Games - Wordament is first iOS game with Xbox Live Achievements - Neowin or our very own Windows Central Windows Phone exclusive Kinectimals now available for iOS | Windows Central
Less apps as compared to WP in India - That's one country, it's not the same everywhere.

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
IPhone-
No fm
No file manager
No sd card support
No Bluetooth ftp
No micro USB
No MTP
Mediocre camera
No camera button
Non removable battery
Bends easily
No Xbox games

What do you need a file manager for? I own a Lumia 1520 and have seen no big need for it. To hide files? The iPhone app for hiding media contents is by far the best I have used in ANY platform. Not even close.
No SD Card support. A minor issue for me. I own a 128gb iPhone.
No Bluetooth ftp. I don't understand why Apple is blocking this but Apple's Airdrop is fantastic.
Mediocre camera? LOL. There are multiple scenarios where my iPhone 6 Plus with OIS beats my Lumia 1520. Overall the Lumia might have a slight edge, IMHO, but to call it mediocre? Silly.
No camera button. Volume doubles as a shutter button on the iPhone.
No manual focus. FALSE. You can manual focus on the iPhone. And it works smoothly. And there are a gazillion apps to help you unleash your iPhone, turning it into a mini dslr.
Non removable battery. The iPhone's battery life is waaaaay better than my Lumia 1520.
Bends easily. Now, you are beginning to sound desperate.
No Xbox games. Let me guess, you've never used an iPhone before. Go check the app store. EVERY app or game that is worth being called an app is on there. And they are far better on iOS than they are on WP. Even Xbox games.

From your list I can tell you've not used an iPhone in a long time or maybe never. Lumias have some strong points, which is why I still carry one, but those aren't it.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
You must be new around here. :wink:

I've been with Windows Phone since 2010 and I've heard that every year. Microsoft keeps kicking the Windows Phone ball down the field with the "Wait until next year" mantra. That is fine, if that's the way you want to live your life.

I guess the conclusion that I have come to is that, with Microsoft's current strategy, you don't need to keep waiting until next year. You can have all that and more if you switch to a different mobile OS. You don't even need to leave the Microsoft ecosystem if that is your preference. Having all their apps on competing platforms makes the exit surprisingly easy, which is a really great thing in my eyes -- unless you hold out any sort of hope that Windows Phone will be anything more than a very distant 3rd option in the mobile space. As long as that remains the case, WP will never have the leverage they need to get out of the ridiculous exclusivity deals they've got going with the U.S. carriers and see the growth they should have had by now. It's a %$@#& shame what has been allowed to happened to the Icon -- our current flagship phone. Disgraceful.

However, it's not all that bad if you can come to terms with the reality that this strategy is actually very liberating. Not being tied to Windows Phone in its current state and being allowed to move freely about the various competing operating systems without very much hassle is great.

2014 is not going to be remembered as a good year for Windows Phone, but "just wait until next year"! :wink:

Lol...like your style, though like you, I've been a WP user since 2010 as well. HTC trophy. I personally loved WP7 for its uniqueness and fluidity, so any variant of adoptions or upgrades would be well received, but I've been pretty satisfied with the direction MSFT is going. Remember WP7 was never designed with the capacity to challenge iOS or Android on an enterprise level. The exclusives were of Nokias doing and the carriers. Look at the HTC M8 for windows. How many carriers is that on? MSFT has more leverage. The real key is if and when carriers get rid of or mark down subsidies. That's the real reason people even contemplate an iPhone or high end Android. They get an expensive phone for a fraction of the cost by buying a contract with the carrier. The US makes the most money off this. I say 2015 will be key because MSFT is going in a different direction and seemed pretty focused. That's usually a good combination. The one windows theme is a first. MSFTs ideology was never to encapsulate anyone, but just maybe by bringing the OSes together, it might give people reason to want to.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Static and bland icons instead of live tiles - Again, another opinion. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean live tiles appeal to everyone.
No Xbox Games - Wordament is first iOS game with Xbox Live Achievements - Neowin or our very own Windows Central Windows Phone exclusive Kinectimals now available for iOS | Windows Central
Less apps as compared to WP in India - That's one country, it's not the same everywhere.
Haha 😆 I like it when iFans get desperate trying to defend their costly purchase. Every single fact of yours is false.
Most WP lack fm? Lie. Except for Lumia 620, none of the Windowsphones lack fm. Also the OS supports the feature unlike ios. Tune in radio needs data, so your essentially paying for something that is already free? How is that more advanced than WP? Even my $20 Nokia dumbphone has fm. Apple can't put that in a 700$ Phone? Shame.
FYI, the new x30 Lumias ship with MS apps like files and News preinstalled. Also WP is the only OS to have an official file manager, from MS, unlike ios and Android. If you go to windowsphone.com and search for file management, even MS recommends it's own app. I don't see that situation on ios or Android?
Sd card support-WP OS supports sd cards, ios does not. So you have a choice on WP to get a phone with/without an sd slot. No such option on ios.
WP has had Bluetooth ftp since WP 7.8, and the capability has very much increased since 8.1,OOTB. Are you kidding me?
Source for this micro USB change in iPhone? Is not there at present, so what I said stands true.
Tell me, would a normal person jailbreak his phone to get MTP?No. ios doesn't support this ootb.
WP has camera button support, ios doesn't. End of the story. And excuse me, but the newly released 930 and 830 have camera buttons? Living under a rock I suppose?
All WP, even the Lumia 520 supports manual focus. Wrong 👎 again!
WP offers the choice of a removable/nr battery, ios does not.
Bends easily - Design Flaw, exactly, so what's wrong with my statement, and why move on? It's a serious thing if a company can't make a properly designed phone after a whole year.
That's only 2,I can show you a thousand more on WP.
Conclusion-WP offers choice and VFM, ios does not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99