11-22-2014 07:00 PM
103 1234 ...
tools
    I know some people complain like there's no tomorrow, but let's be real... they have some reasons to do it.
    Jorge Holguin and Guytronic like this.
    11-16-2014 12:16 AM
    I know some people complain like there's no tomorrow, but let's be real... they have some reasons to do it.
    Don't be silly ;) WP is perfect
    11-16-2014 02:26 AM
    Don't be silly ;) WP is perfect
    yeah , xbox music specially;)
    F3rzz likes this.
    11-16-2014 02:57 AM
    I respect your comments, but lets be real here. Pick up a Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus?, Lumia 900?) and compare it to current Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2, and tell me straight faced it's not a massive, major, insane improvement.

So, to say MS hasn't done anything just isn't completely honest.

Perhaps they haven't moved at the pace you've wanted, or made the changes you expected - but no one can legitimately say they haven't put a lot effort into this platform.

Also, do the same comparison of that phone with the apps available vs the apps today.

Point being - all the trends you'll see are in the right direction.
    You've safely avoided pain points. It would be wrong to say forum is filled with whiners. ppl including me continuously vote on uservoice, chase MS n other devs on twitter but there r things tht exist as pain points which MS could hv avoided.
    why is skype better on ios, now office is better on ios too. exclusives like AOE are being rolled out for IOS & Android.
    Xbox music sucks, there have been more than 10 updates in last 2 months and they still couldnt fix xbm, n I'm not even asking new features like gapless playback. cortana is still to be available for many WP users but MS seems to be putting more resources towards developing it for ios & Android.
    11-16-2014 03:03 AM
    I was skeptical at first, but I love the way they gave us the option to focus on Microsoft as a whole OR focus just on the phones. Those tabs make a huge difference and I feel it accommodates everybody. Iam not a big fan of Microsoft's desktop OS, so I just click the phones tab and away I go. Not a big deal.
    11-16-2014 04:37 AM
    Even though Microsoft has ****ed up many times even though it's one of the best software companies... actually is the best software company in the world, this is a fan site not an official Microsoft complaint forum. I remember when we used to talk about cool new features and apps that was on now trending. Now it's what wp will need to succeed, why im switching back to Android. Why is office better on iOS. Just staaaahp! Be like the other mobile nations forums and talk about the good things
    runamuck83 and Geddeeee like this.
    11-16-2014 05:50 AM
    You want an app? ***** to the developer, start a campaign, do something...
    This has yet to be successful since I've been using WP. So I need to ask if MS can't attract devs and if users can't then what do you do? If major devs start to block 3rd party apps or start restricting them then we need to ask, what happens now?

This is not a complaint or a whine. These are questions. We are users of a platform. We paid for our devices. We as users deserve the best possible experience. To some this isn't happening.

Personally I don't like the 'I'm leaving' rants and wish they'd just go but it does offer an insight into their thinking. Whether you agree with it or not.
    11-16-2014 05:52 AM
    There's nothing wrong with trying out different OS's. I still use my Nexus 5 and love its ability to customize. I'm new to WP and love the live tiles, integration with my laptop and tablet, battery life, etc. People are always searching for something new. Complaining just for the sake of complaining is unproductive. If you're unhappy just try something else.
    11-16-2014 07:04 AM
    This has yet to be successful since I've been using WP. So I need to ask if MS can't attract devs and if users can't then what do you do? If major devs start to block 3rd party apps or start restricting them then we need to ask, what happens now?

This is not a complaint or a whine. These are questions. We are users of a platform. We paid for our devices. We as users deserve the best possible experience. To some this isn't happening.

Personally I don't like the 'I'm leaving' rants and wish they'd just go but it does offer an insight into their thinking. Whether you agree with it or not.
    How can you honestly say they haven't attracted ANY new devs??

It's just not true...see my note above.
    11-16-2014 07:22 AM
    lack of communication = we don't know what the hell they're doing.
    seeing their own apps on competing platforms updated more frequently than their own platform and gaining more features than found on their own = raises eyebrows.
    long dormant periods (6months) between announcements and releases = either announce something that gets released soon (iPhone, announcement > release takes like a month), or release small updates every now and then. Why build up something, then just completely throw it aside killing any momentum and hype that was built up. Paper launches are bad mmkay. Their in a distant third place, they needed to make a splash.
    Lack of any new devices or flagships = Are they even commited? You cant compare a Lumia 830 with a galaxy S5. There would be more checkmarks against the 830.
    "Just wait for windows 10" = Just like wait for mango (wp7.5), wait for WP8, Wait for windows 'blue' (WP8.1)? end result seems to be the same each time....wait for...not much.

I'd say its more venting due to frustration and the feeling that you're getting shortchanged and maybe got suckered into a possible dead end path. They already pissed off Lumia 900 buyers with the 7 and 8 transition. They annoyed anyone wanting a 920 with the carrier exclusive thing. Verizon seems to be screwing the pooch on the icon, they're ******* off some loyal fans right now with the lack of any real meaningful Skype updates, the fact that office still sucks on wp and is actually good on ios now, Cortana expanding to ios/android in the future, the OneDrive hamburger menu (I dunno about that one tbh, but it did look a bit discontinuous)....We're still waiting for the denim update (and with it WP8.1.2?) and there are still people waiting on Cyan and WP8.1.1. Theres already rumblings about things being delayed....

I think some users are just getting fed up with the waiting game. Especially with the less than stellar track record MS has.

Remember when the beta test is over? Yeah back with the Lumia's and WP7.5. Seems to me now that it was actually an alpha test then, and the beta test is just now getting started.
    Nobody couldn't has say it better. There is a Grand Canyon between point out the truth and whining. Yes I do agree there are lots of whiners here but let's not put them in the mix with those that are trying to get WP to the best it can be. Every update MS releases is always to catch up by the time it goes alpha. The fact that Cyan just came out of beta not too long ago after it was announced makes people angry. And yes you are also right lots of people left when MS throw them away from WP7 to WP8.
    Last edited by Jorge Holguin; 11-16-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-16-2014 09:07 AM

Sorry for being general. I meant some of the bigger names are missing and some have abandoned it.
    11-16-2014 09:28 AM
    Folks, this is a fan site. So like it or not, the whiners have just as much too to whine as to the defenders of the platform as much the levelheaded, realistic moderates. Everyone's opinion has something helpful in it, no matter how well or ****ty the delivery of the point is.

No OS overall is perfect for everyone (as much as Apple tries to sell us this), each OS is best for the user's needs. I use both WP and Android because for me, their strengths compliment their weaknesses from what I need as a user. I own a 1520 and a 1+1. I went with bigger phones partially because that's where the good battery life is now.

What bothers me the most with Windows is that there are devs who refuse to write apps for the platform, or support it in a half assed way. For example, I use Amazon alot for my needs. I'm a graduate student, and as such Kindle books are cheaper than the paper ones. I have a gorgeous Asus T100 which in split screen mode, a kindle app with all my textbooks while writing papers would be perfect. Instead, it is a hit and miss what books I can use...Kindle on Windows is so useless because it now requires me to use another device just to have access to all of my books. Whose fault is that? Me as the user for using Amazon as a source for books? Amazon for feeling there isn't enough users on Windows to make an equally good Kindle app as there is on Fire (not all Android devices are supported equally either)? MSFT for seeing the need and not having any damn pull to address it?

Yes, people have choices but because these companies are in it to make money off consumers by locking into their ecosystem, cross platform or transitioning users ALWAYS suffer at the end. Devs, like anyone else, goes where the money is. So in some regard I cannot blame them.

Yes, MSFT is putting effort into the platform. What I'd like to see is better integration of their own services...that would make the platform more attractive to devs because it gives the devs what they want...more reach to consumers. I'll still use both Android and WP because in their current forms neither can solely fill my needs.

They still need to pick up the development of WP because in the eyes of many, it still isn't worth the effort.
    11-16-2014 09:57 AM
    I respect your comments, but lets be real here. Pick up a Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus?, Lumia 900?) and compare it to current Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2, and tell me straight faced it's not a massive, major, insane improvement.

So, to say MS hasn't done anything just isn't completely honest.

Perhaps they haven't moved at the pace you've wanted, or made the changes you expected - but no one can legitimately say they haven't put a lot effort into this platform.

Also, do the same comparison of that phone with the apps available vs the apps today.

Point being - all the trends you'll see are in the right direction.
    If WP were competing against itself you might have a point, but it isn't. It is competing against other platforms that are also continually improving. Sure, 8.1 is an improvement over 7, just not enough of one and it has taken until 8/8.1 to replace features that were lost from WM 6.5.

You wanna look at trends? How about these?

• The trend is that 3rd party developers still don't develop as well or as frequently for this platform. It was hoped that Windows 8 would pull developers in to develop Metro/Modern apps which they could then easily port to WP. That didn't happen and although W10 will make the process even easier I'm still skeptical.
    • The trend is that MS is releasing apps and updates for other platforms while it appears that their own platform is placed on the back burner. MS should certainly be developing for other platforms as they risk losing all relevancy if they don't. However there should at least be rough parity for their own platform with regard to features and timeline.
    • The trend is that carriers are still a problem with regard to updates. If Paul Thurrott is correct and MS begins releasing firmware updates with the developer preview this will become less of an issue.
    • The trend is that MS is increasingly focusing on the lower end of the market. Granted they should focus on this market as this is where their best opportunity for growth lies, but not exclusively so. There should also be high end options available on all major carriers.
    • The trend is that carrier exclusives (US market, I don't know about other countries) still make it difficult to support MS even if one wanted to.

For me MS has run out of time. My contract is up and the lack of 920/1020 successor has caused me to pause and survey the environment. My conclusion is that now is the time to leave the platform. W10 has promise. My laptops will be upgraded day one, but I'll no longer give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt in the mobile arena. If I like what I see this time next year I'll give them another shot.
    11-16-2014 10:27 AM

Even though we hv very good 3rd party devs filling up the gap, but someone says he doesnt want to use third party apps and wants only official ones, u cant blame them, many 3rd party apps are not using official apis, so essentially services may block them, 3rd party apps(not WP) have recently caused security leaks so if companies become more cautious n start blocking 3rd party apps u cant blame them.

Developing for WP wasnt easy until late, who keeps restrictions such as need for windows 8 machine to develop apps for WP?
    11-16-2014 10:42 AM
    It took a little too long for someone to make the almighty Xbox Music remark in this post.
    11-16-2014 12:34 PM
    It took a little too long for someone to make the almighty Xbox Music remark in this post.
    Xbox Music is still atrocious. Nothing new there in flogging a dead horse.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-16-2014 02:00 PM
    Whining is this forum is the thing that would push me off this platform. I can't look at my Lumia 920 and not be reminded of the incessant whining from this forum. This whining is the reason why I will no longer start topics here and will be why I hang up my Windows Phones and move on.
    runamuck83 likes this.
    11-16-2014 04:08 PM
    I wonder why.*Heads out to pick up a new...Lumia 😉
    11-16-2014 05:52 PM
    There's so much circular logic, contradictions and hypocrisy on these forums, we have people who'll "whine" about the app gap or the WP app support (or lack thereof) but then go and say there's nothing wrong when someone says WP has poor marketing. People will make a fuss when Snapchat threatens 6snap but will then go and make excuses when someone suggests one of the reasons WP can't get market share in the US because its sluggish pace at rolling out flagships is causing any potential customers to choose the latest iPhone or Android because the newest WP device is a rehashed Android (HTC One) and over 1 year old 1520 and 930. We then have the people who say to the people who complain to just leave WP if they're not happy, because nothing helps a ship taking on water more than poking another hole.

If we didn't complain some we'd be iSheep blindly worshiping our $800 dollar flagship that comes with 1 GB of RAM and a whopping 8 megapixel camera, we may whine and run around like headless chickens at times but at least we're not the aforementioned lol
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-16-2014 06:06 PM
    Hmmmm, you think whinning will get you attention at MS? NOT. Tens of whiners won't make an impression at all. Patience plus posting and voting for what you want on the uservoice site on MS will do more. Just saying.
    Lots of complaints that start here or on reddit become user voice suggestions.
    Also patience might as well be the slogan for Windows at this point....
    This is a forum. People complain on forums. I think people need to not read the posts they don't care about. If you want to jump in on the complaining then go ahead, if you don't then stay out.
    Everyone talking about how much complaining is going on... What do you expect? MS has bungled a lot of **** recently and combine that with no worthy flagship for 920 owners on AT&T you are going to have complaints. If you have been on here long enough you might remember when the Lumia 900 was going to end the 'beta testing' only to not get Windows phone 8 four months later... There was a crazy amount of whining about that phone.
    I get where MS is with the transition to Windows 10 and the fact that basically no one buys WP flagship phones. Why would they make one? That is a bad business move, but they're going to **** off some people on the process. If you don't want to read peoples complaints then don't read them.
    11-16-2014 06:08 PM
    Anyway, I will drop in from time time to check the news, and also check to see if any intelligent comments, or true help pops up in these forums.
    But basically I'm done wading through the reams of self pity and constant talk of 'flagship' devices not being available (try Android if you want the next shiny, shiny...)
    Peace and good luck to the true and helpful users on here... The word for today is FUN!!!
    Well stated. I've cut my participation here drastically over the last several weeks because I read very little by way of helpful submissions for the enthusiast, and got tired of seeing 31 different versions of the same complaints about lack of flagships, direction of Microsoft, WP is dead, yadda yadda yadda, see you all in the Windows 10 spring!
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-16-2014 08:17 PM
    I swear, I was five minutes away from making a topic like this! No need to now.
    11-16-2014 09:48 PM
    Whining is this forum is the thing that would push me off this platform. I can't look at my Lumia 920 and not be reminded of the incessant whining from this forum. This whining is the reason why I will no longer start topics here and will be why I hang up my Windows Phones and move on.
    really?
    You're gonna let a bunch of random people on a fansite forum dictate how you feel about a product?
    11-16-2014 10:51 PM
    Lumia, Lumia , Lumia, That is the whole problem , Everyone seems to think Lumia is the only Windows phone there is. Until you can embrace other Makes of phones Windows phone is going no where fast. You was just given a new top of the line phone with Windows OS, the M8, and it is on 3 carriers, and as a long time Windows OS user and Lumia owner I can tell you it is a better phone then just about all the Lumia's I have owned, No phone is perfect and never will be, But if we as Windows phone users don't embrace other brands, Windows phone is going to die a slow death. We are a very vane bunch, most people buy for looks, price and name not what OS it is running. But I will agree with the thread topic, I have never read more Boohoo forums then there is on here. Why in the world do you stay with Windows phone if you have so many problems with it and are so disappointed with it, us that like it and want it to grow would be so much better off if you switched to one of the other phone operating systems and made them look bad. Anyone that knows how to fix phones and program phones with tell you 90% of the trouble people have with their phone is operator caused. Your Battery going dead to fast? it is not the OS doing it, it is all the app's you have running. Phone keeps crashing? it is not the OS crashing it, it is one of the app's you have on it. Phones gets hot when you use it a lot? you have to much running on it, pushing the Windows home button does not shut your app off., see Battery goes dead to fast. New OS update crashes your phone? you have to much crap on your phone, it is not a desktop. So, really if you are not happy go make Apple or Android users feel your pain with their phones.
    Last edited by Kevin Hill2; 11-17-2014 at 01:18 AM.
    11-17-2014 01:03 AM
    LOL, really ? I have heard all the crazy reasons for sure now, Did all the whining make your 920 start to have problems or just the owner started to have problems? Did people stop you on the street and tell you your 920 was a piece of junk? you could always stop reading the forums and be proud of the nice phone you have.
    11-17-2014 01:28 AM
103 1234 ...