03-15-2015 06:38 PM
35 12
tools
    Haven't noticed this before, so the link to the article is here: BBC News - Make coders develop Blackberry apps, says firm's boss

Certainly interesting from Blackberry, maybe Microsoft could use the same argument?? - I was joking by the way...

G.
    01-22-2015 09:22 AM
    I think it's crap. Why should developers have to code for every platform with very little return. There are lots of under 1% market share OS: firefoxOS, jolla, tizen(in the future). Who will pay developers for developing for such platforms?

And if I myself develop a phones OS with 1 user (me), could I force app developers to build every app for just my phone?
    01-22-2015 09:40 AM
    Chen is delusional . If he continues to push this it will backfire
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-22-2015 01:24 PM
    It would be interesting, if nothing else, to see how this proposal would affect WP users.
    01-22-2015 01:44 PM
    Well Chen doesn't mention WinPhone at any point in his blog - Net Neutrality: No on Reclassification, Yes on Adding Content & App Providers | Inside BlackBerry

It's certainly one to watch, but I doubt it'll get anywhere....

G.
    01-22-2015 02:33 PM
    I love me some BlackBerry but I think Chen hit the bong too hard before writing his op-ed.
    01-22-2015 04:13 PM
    Chen is right, big companies should be forced to develop an HTML5 app. This is more important that net neutrality. Google and Apple are the new owners of the Internet.
    01-22-2015 06:49 PM
    Blackberry doesn't have Netflix? O.o
    01-22-2015 06:55 PM
    Chen is right, big companies should be forced to develop an HTML5 app. This is more important that net neutrality. Google and Apple are the new owners of the Internet.
    And Adobe should be forced to package its products for Linux, Google forced to make an YouTube app for Windows Phone, Apple's Facetime for everyone... And I guess they should all give it away for free since everyone deserves it.

Or we just let the market decide.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-22-2015 06:59 PM
    And Adobe should be forced to package its products for Linux, Google forced to make an YouTube app for Windows Phone, Apple's Facetime for everyone... And I guess they should all give it away for free since everyone deserves it.

Or we just let the market decide.
    I'm thinking in massive public services. Companies can't force their costumers to buy a particular computing platform to have access to their services. In mobile, the browser is no the client of the web, the apps are the client. Without access to the apps you can't access web. Google and Apple control the apps, they limit the access to the apps, that's unacceptable.

First, the app stores shouldn't be a monopoly of the owner of the platform, third party app stores should be allowed.
    Second, massive public services should be forced to develop an app for the open web.

The regulators should correct this.
    01-22-2015 07:30 PM
    Sounds like I'll continue to stay away from BlackBerry.
    01-22-2015 07:31 PM
    blackberry can nearly have every app because of the android app player, but there is no native netflix app
    01-22-2015 07:38 PM
    Blackberry doesn't have Netflix? O.o
    Not natively, but the Android version can be installed, and it can work without any issues.

As a BlackBerry 10 user, I can definitely see some valid points. My university has apps available for IOS and Android only. And even though I pay the same tuition as others, I could not use the school mobile apps available on other platforms. And I definitely felt that there was an issue of discrimination for not using one of the two main phone operating systems.

Also, they can make a minimal requirement to qualify for the "app neutrality" for mobile operating systems such as
    - minimal number of countries availability
    - minimal number of global sales
    - current availability (not discontinued)

So this proposal does not necessarily have to include the newer Firefox os, tizen, etc, if they do not meet the said requirements above. So no, you still won't be able to create your own 1 user mobile os and demand apps.

I would be happy if the app neutrality law could just include the 4 major phone OS.

Also Chen makes a good point about the app IOS and Android dominating the market. Windows Phone and BlackBerry are still in the market, but both of them have not had much traction for a while now. And we all know it is not going to change any time soon.

For those who say that, there will be more apps once more users use the mobile OS, but there won't be any users to begin with if there were no apps.

The app disparity situation between the top 2 (android and IOS) and bottom 2 (BlackBerry and Windows Phone) will only get bigger if nothing is done.

Maybe Microsoft and BlackBerry could work together on this since both of them need to fix the app situation on their platform.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    HeyCori and a5cent like this.
    01-23-2015 09:13 AM
    Windows Phone and BlackBerry are still in the market, but both of them have not had much traction for a while now. And we all know it is not going to change any time soon.
    Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    It does change for us with Windows 10, any apps made for Windows 10 will work on all devices.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    01-23-2015 10:34 AM
    For those who say that, there will be more apps once more users use the mobile OS, but there won't be any users to begin with if there were no apps.
    Who pays for all this neutrality? Unless Mother Teresa comes back as a dev, nobody else will do it for free. I understand the need for more apps on the smaller platforms. But I also understand the free market system and it's about getting your paper. I haven't seen Nadella, Chen, Page and Cook get up on a stage together and pledge app uniformity for everybody. I'm not trying to be a D, it's just the reality of the situation. We all knew what we were getting into when we bought WP devices, or BlackBerry if that's your platform of choice.
    tgp, Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    01-23-2015 11:45 AM
    Who pays for all this neutrality?
    All the costumers of the company pay for the cost of development.

In the same way you're paying for apps for iOS and Android that you can't use in WP. Or are you getting a discount?
    01-23-2015 05:16 PM
    All the costumers of the company pay for the cost of development.

In the same way you're paying for apps for iOS and Android that you can't use in WP. Or are you getting a discount?
    You totally misunderstood my post. I suggest you read what Mr. Chen is proposing then you'll have a clearer picture.
    01-23-2015 05:22 PM
    You totally misunderstood my post. I suggest you read what Mr. Chen is proposing then you'll have a clearer picture.
    I don't see the misunderstanding. Please, point it explicitly.
    01-23-2015 05:37 PM
    I don't see the misunderstanding. Please, point it explicitly.
    Your response has nothing to do with what I posited. Based on that observation, I concluded that you misunderstood my post. If you want to get chippy, fine. Figure it out for yourself.
    a5cent likes this.
    01-23-2015 06:40 PM
    I work for a bank, and they built their app on HTML5 with apps for Android, BB10, iOS, and a mobile website. Cool thing is that they all look the same including the mobile website. I have to say it's one of the best looking banking apps out there.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my BlackBerry Passport
    tiziano27 likes this.
    01-25-2015 06:09 PM
    I think as easy as it is now to throw your code into a program and have it spit out a port to windows phone, there is no excuse. No real upkeep. Maybe two or three days for fine tuning.
    01-25-2015 06:23 PM
    I love me some BlackBerry but I think Chen hit the bong too hard before writing his op-ed.
    Chen has certainly done a lot of great things for BlackBerry, but when I read his letter, I actually laughed. It's like an argument that you would expect to hear from one of the CrackBerry crazies, not from their CEO.

I just think the fact that he calls it "discrimination" against BlackBerry and its users is a silly argument. It's called "the market". There is just so much wrong with everything he said that I don't even want to try to put it into words. I've been both a big BlackBerry user and now a Windows user, so I understand the situation very well. It's not discrimination in any way, shape, or form. Developers aren't out to get or conspiring against BlackBerry. They don't see enough of a return in putting all the effort into developing for a platform that there isn't much of a market for. It's that simple
    01-25-2015 06:57 PM
    In many cases there aren't good returns in adding accessibility features to software, for people with disabilities. Although, in many countries the government promote and even force companies to add these features.

So, this is not about the market. The market has flaws and in many case It doesn't reach the optimal results in the economics decisions, and governments have to correct the results with subsidies, special taxes, regulations, etc.

The real question is: Is there any value in promoting development in open technologies like HTML5 to ensure a better access to public services to more people, and to avoid a natural monopoly or oligopoly? Or are we just fine giving the control of the client of the web (apps), such an important piece of infrastructure, to two companies with walled gardens: Apple and Google?
    Last edited by tiziano27; 01-26-2015 at 04:38 AM.
    pgg101 likes this.
    01-25-2015 07:24 PM
    BB needs to ditch this guy, he's obviously planted himself firmly into clown territory. Asking government to legislate other companies to develop for BB by force? Seriously?? omg...what a buffoon.
    01-28-2015 09:58 AM
    Though I agree with Chen's broadband net neutrality comments, the comments about discrimination make no sense.

When people make the choice to buy something they discriminate, according to their choice and needs. That's market forces and simply put people buy what they want. And that isn't a BlackBerry or indeed wp - hence the sales figures. The roi isn't there.

The only way to change this is to innovate and create something attractive to consumers. When people begin to become interested the devs flock over. But there has to be roi. IOS has apps that are not on android. But that is closing.

Windows 10 looks and sounds like it's doing the right things to attract devs - universal apps is very enticing. BB hasn't had such luck. Yet.

I'm old enough to remember when msft and palm would have been the ones complaining about a lack of apps, while RIM ruled the roost. BlackBerry dropped the ball. They need to work to make it back. Legislation won't replace innovation and an attractive and compelling ecosystem.

But then there is a reason Chen keeps on stating they are focusing on Enterprise. For now there isn't a great consumer facing business. They are doing great in services. Focusing on that is the right thing to do, as they build the company back up and create something compelling and competitive in the consumer field.

If they don't do that they can't expect anything else. That's the competition.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    01-28-2015 10:42 AM
35 12