More Open Windows

WPmaniac4 25

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Reading what Huawei recently said about windows phone, I have to agree, OEM's need to have some control over the operating system. If they could just tweak it a little to suit their style, an example of this is the HTC 8x and 8s where they added a clock. I wouldn't go so far as to say they should create their own massively different skin, but I think OEM's should get some say on what their phones look like. A skin that wouldn't cause to much fuss could be a version of the Nokia x ui suited for windows 10. I believe if Microsoft give the customers and OEMs more freedom with the os they will get more of both of them.

Last edited:

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to know what Huawei and the other manufacturers count as differentiation.

The skin? I have a feeling that this is what manufacturers rely on. Why would they move to Windows when they can and have skinned Android to their liking? In the worst case scenario, these Windows Phones would end up skinned to look and feel like their Android counterparts in a misguided effort to protect a unified brand image. Why buy a windows phone then? There will always be a number of people who will attempt to remove the skin. What's left?

There's also Nokia's old tactic of providing useful exclusive apps. However, this works best for manufacturers who can also provide services.

Then we have distinctive hardware design. I'm thinking of the less obvious things, features not on the spec sheet and the gimmicks. The power/volume button layout, front-facing speakers, camera buttons, etc. are all underappreciated features. Then there's stuff like IR blasters, fingerprint readers, screen edge displays, heart rate monitors, etc. that probably require custom software to make use of. I'm a Lumia fan but Motorola's Active Display goes a step further than Glance with actionable notifications. It requires a custom coprocessor. The Pureview 808 can take pictures much faster than the Lumia 1020 even though its specs are outdated. It also has a custom coprocessor. This is where I can see Windows Phone having difficulty. Any modifications to the operating system in order to implement custom hardware would have to pass through Microsoft first.

So... Does Huawei do anything like that?

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
If all WPs are very similar, people will always choose Lumia. Specially if Microsoft is already selling phones at a loss. OEMs won't adopt the platform.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
In the OP, the HTC clock is an app that is exclusive to HTC handsets. Huawei could easily write exclusive apps that would appear on the home screen of Huawei handsets. So, their argument is specious. They don't want customization or differentiation, they just want control.

Last edited:

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft Windows + Windows Phone SDK has already open wider and wider, and also more secure.
If Microsoft open source Windows + Windows Phone SDK, it will end up like android.
- lag (due to OEM put lots of BS into it)
- virus (unless Windows Phone publish small sized and forced secure update, then Microsoft have no time to secure its OS to everywhere even low internet speed country)
- rooting (free stuff, dev not get paid, dev sad)

If Microsoft have hired hackers to hack their program, and no bug, secure leak WITHOUT modify of the OS, then Microsoft will open source it

NO, not google, google team will open your source to every hacker.
Plus, they sell founded security leaks to some hacker (maybe they do, maybe they don't, I don't know)

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The only Huawei phone I saw in my market was the W1. A lack luster low end phone that was no better then the HTC 8s.
They are a Budget company at best....if they want control of the OS it is not for a good reason!!!!
If they wish to exit the Windows Phone segment, I can say just one thing, Good !!!
We don't need more Low and Mid Range junk.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only Huawei phone I saw in my market was the W1. A lack luster low end phone that was no better then the HTC 8s.
They are a Budget company at best....if they want control of the OS it is not for a good reason!!!!
If they wish to exit the Windows Phone segment, I can say just one thing, Good !!!
We don't need more Low and Mid Range junk.

India need low price, good specs, like OnePlus One

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The world needs a company like One Plus to up it's game and jump on Windows and force others to up their game. So better hardware makes it to all range of phones.

I'll play devil's advocate and say low pricing has downsides.

Not many companies are willing to make a single digit figure per handset. That slim margin of profit means that a small company only has money to manufacture tiny batches at a time. People who can't buy one will buy something else. If the product fails, so will the company. Sell too little and the company faces bankruptcy. Sell too many and Samsung et al. will become your enemy. The market may eventually be flooded with cheap but shoddy devices when everybody participates in a price undercutting war.

Anyone with a defective or broken unit is going to wait a long, long, long time for a replacement (until the next batch is manufactured). This is bad for customer service and could alienate people in the long run.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar