03-08-2015 01:58 PM
168 ... 567
tools
    Microsoft would love to expand its advertising business to the size of operation of Google, they're trying, they're investing, time will tell if they succeed.
    Nope. Obviously MS won't say no to more money. However, given their current clients they simply can't afford be as aggressive about data mining as Google is. Every large company would invite their MS representative over for a beheading.
    Different customers, different goals, different business models... it's not that hard to see they are very different companies.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    03-06-2015 10:44 AM
    Sure it's not my main revenue stream, in fact I make no money at it at all. But I do it therefore it must be what defines me!
    But at the same time, it's one of your most satifying projects. Correct?

Nope. Obviously MS won't say no to more money. However, given their current clients they simply can't afford be as aggressive about data mining as Google is. Every large company would invite their MS representative over for a beheading.
    Where do you get this info? Is this real, or is it your sense of utopia for Microsoft, the already perfect company?
    03-06-2015 11:24 AM
    Where do you get this info? Is this real, or is it your sense of utopia for Microsoft, the already perfect company?
    Talk to the CTO of virtually any large company. They'll tell you exactly that.
    jmshub and tgp like this.
    03-06-2015 12:27 PM
    But at the same time, it's one of your most satifying projects. Correct?
    It is the product I'm most proud of.
    tgp and Jas00555 like this.
    03-06-2015 12:30 PM
    The last Google service I use is contacts. Do the contact avatars sync over to outlook.com yet, last time I tried it did not work so no way for me to switch. If they do, I'm gone!
    03-06-2015 01:07 PM
    The last Google service I use is contacts. Do the contact avatars sync over to outlook.com yet, last time I tried it did not work so no way for me to switch. If they do, I'm gone!
    Do you mean with Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn profile? They do.
    03-06-2015 03:52 PM
    Then I guess I can classify myself as a Feces Production company, because I **** pretty regularly. Your logic amazes me. I mean when people ask what I do for a living, I'll tell them I produce ****. Sure it's not my main revenue stream, in fact I make no money at it at all. But I do it therefore it must be what defines me!
    You're better with photoshop, please don't try scatological analogies again.

You guys should watch the movie The Internship. It's so emotional and It represents well the values of the company. I bet many of you would become Google fans after watching the movie enough times.
    03-06-2015 03:56 PM
    You're better with photoshop, please don't try scatological analogies again.

You guys should watch the movie The Internship. It's so emotional and It represents well the values of the company. I bet many of you would become Google fans after watching the movie enough times.

Uh, not!!!
    03-06-2015 04:04 PM
    @An_dz: No, I mean transfer contacts directly from Google to outlook.com, without any other accounts.
    03-06-2015 04:16 PM
    Then I guess I can classify myself as a Feces Production company, because I **** pretty regularly. Your logic amazes me. I mean when people ask what I do for a living, I'll tell them I produce ****. Sure it's not my main revenue stream, in fact I make no money at it at all. But I do it therefore it must be what defines me!
    That ... doesn't even make any sense.
    03-06-2015 07:17 PM
    That ... doesn't even make any sense.
    Exactly.
    03-07-2015 12:03 AM
    Exactly.
    I meant your comparison, it makes no sense.
    03-07-2015 04:33 AM
    I meant your comparison, it makes no sense.
    oldpueblo made a nonsensical analogy to point out the flaws in another analogy (the one he quoted before writing about his fecal manufactory).

Commonly known as satire, it is an ages old method of discourse showing how ridiculous one thing is by creating a parallel absurdity.
    fatclue_98, a5cent and oldpueblo like this.
    03-07-2015 10:37 AM
    oldpueblo made a nonsensical analogy to point out the flaws in another analogy (the one he quoted before writing about his fecal manufactory).

Commonly known as satire, it is an ages old method of discourse showing how ridiculous one thing is by creating a parallel absurdity.
    He's trying for satire? Also, he didn't point out any flaws in the post he quoted. There was no analogy that I saw. The post he quoted said that Microsoft and Google are both advertising companies. The only way that you can say that's false is if you go on the premise that a company can only be one type of company, which is a ridiculous notion.
    03-08-2015 04:26 AM
    ^ Nobody is saying a company can do only one thing. However, it does make sense to consider whether a given market and the corresponding revenue streams are of strategic importance to a particular company or not. Bing is strategically important to MS, and advertising is one component that contributes to its financing, but that revenue stream isn't strategically important the way their corporate customers and revenue are. Nadella is unlikely thinking about how to streamline the company towards becoming the best advertising business in the industry. Their corporate structures and business processes are optimized towards other goals. No company can be good at many different things. Those that try have always failed. Companies must focus on one or two things. Business types call this "focusing on core competencies". For Google, advertising is one of those core competencies. For MS it isn't. That is the underlying point. IOW, almost everything Google does is, in some way, related to improving how they target ads. That is not true at all for MS. That's why one is an advertising company while the other isn't.
    Last edited by a5cent; 03-08-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    03-08-2015 05:17 AM
    He's trying for satire? Also, he didn't point out any flaws in the post he quoted. There was no analogy that I saw. The post he quoted said that Microsoft and Google are both advertising companies. The only way that you can say that's false is if you go on the premise that a company can only be one type of company, which is a ridiculous notion.
    You are being deliberately obtuse. Another ages old method of discourse wherein one steadfastly refuses that a valid point has been put forth which needs to be addressed for the discourse to advance. It is a stalling tactic which provides no new input into the conversation and relies upon an entrenched reiteration of the fact being refuted.

Engaging in advertising and being an advertising company are demonstrably two different things.
    03-08-2015 09:25 AM
    It doesn't matter if Microsoft is a recycling company and Google is a plumbing company, the point of this thread is that Google engages in business practices that some people find undesirable and wish to divest themselves from them. Okay?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    03-08-2015 01:38 PM
    Google main business practice is to try and get as more people to their businesses as possible... Google does not give a crap if they monopolizes everything. Google is like a giant spoiled kid... They want and think deserve everything for themselves. Sharing is not in their mentality.
    03-08-2015 01:58 PM
168 ... 567