I'm not feeling the love Microsoft.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think you can look at it different ways.
The old way is I hired you, you need this job and I’ll tell you what to do. Many of those companies have failed because this method doesn’t work in “most” modern environments.
The new way is to understand what this new generation brings, which is different, and utilizing their talents to be successful in today’s modern environment. Rather than force them to use a system they did not grow up with and know little about, perhaps collaborate and integrate systems that they are familiar with and know more about than many of us old folks.

BTW, all the snow is melted off my front lawn. I know you’ll understand this.
I've never subscribed to the notion that "I hired you and you need to do what I say". I'm more like "this is the position, these are your responsibilities and these are the tools you'll have." I mentioned on another thread I was interviewing last week for an additional CAD person. I hired a young buck yesterday who has zero experience in my industry but has an expansive knowledge of the tools of the trade. My knowledge of CAD is rudimentary because when I graduated from high school in '81 there was no such thing and I was too stupid to finish college. But I know enough to understand that someone ALWAYS knows more about anything you do and can take what you have and make it better.

I'm always reminded of the late Bum Phillips' assessment of Don Shula when he said "he can take his'n and beat your'n then take your'n and beat his'n".

That being said, I don't take kindly to ultimatums. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bowl of Grape Nuts waiting. Enjoy your lawn until the next snowstorm in 3, 2, 1.....

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've never subscribed to the notion that "I hired you and you need to do what I say". I'm more like "this is the position, these are your responsibilities and these are the tools you'll have." I mentioned on another thread I was interviewing last week for an additional CAD person. I hired a young buck yesterday who has zero experience in my industry but has an expansive knowledge of the tools of the trade. My knowledge of CAD is rudimentary because when I graduated from high school in '81 there was no such thing and I was too stupid to finish college. But I know enough to understand that someone ALWAYS knows more about anything you do and can take what you have and make it better.

I'm always reminded of the late Bum Phillips' assessment of Don Shula when he said "he can take his'n and beat your'n then take your'n and beat his'n".

That being said, I don't take kindly to ultimatums. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bowl of Grape Nuts waiting. Enjoy your lawn until the next snowstorm in 3, 2, 1.....

Grape nuts. Mmmm. Like chewing on a wood fence!
Wash it down with some grape nehi.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Who says it’s an “entitled little puke”? While I agree the other posters comment was overstated, the point is businesses will be forced to change over time by societal changes.

Anyone that comes in to a new job with a request like that is entitled. In addition, young people adapt well if they are worth their salt. I regularly work with young analysts that are often straight out of college. None of them seem to care what they use, and are happy to be learning from people that have way more experience than they do.

People won't want to use Macs or iPads if the back end services don't start better supporting those platforms. It's not a great experience today in a medium to large Enterprise environment.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb