Surface "Desktop"

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
So now Microsoft has Surface 3 (10.8"), Surface Pro 3 (12") and the giant Surface Hub (55" / 84").

How about a Surface desktop version at 21" - 27"? Supports touch (but not pen), with similar sexy look + sexy keyboard + surface arc mouse.

A sexy desktop PC that you love, you feel proud of and feel wonderful of using it. Just like the iMacs.

Surface 3 with a smaller factor has just released, and there are rumors that Surface Pro 4 will have a 14" model. So I believe Msft is actively experimenting with different form factors. I think such a device is not a dream.

It there is one, I will definitely buy it. :p

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know HP and a few others all ready make 21"-27" "All-In-One" PC's that support both Touch and some Pen.

Why build something that could hurt your Partner Companies???

Surface was made to show Partner companies mobile tablet market was where some improvement was needed.

If anything Surface should stay in the mobile area and push out into phones....now more then ever to show Phone makers mobile is key to the future.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know HP and a few others all ready make 21"-27" "All-In-One" PC's that support both Touch and some Pen.

Why build something that could hurt your Partner Companies???

Surface was made to show Partner companies mobile tablet market was where some improvement was needed.

If anything Surface should stay in the mobile area and push out into phones....now more then ever to show Phone makers mobile is key to the future.

What I mean is a premium desktop PC with excellent build quality.

Surface Pro / Surface are not hurting partner business. It just set a good example what a cool device. There are always similar devices which do the same job as Surface (although the experience is not exactly the same).

If Microsoft already set a good example of Windows tablets, why can't they set a good example of desktop PC? Given that the Surface lines are targeted at more premium market, I can't see any major conflict with the partners.

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Surface Pro / Surface are not hurting partner business. It just set a good example what a cool device. There are always similar devices which do the same job as Surface (although the experience is not exactly the same).

If Microsoft already set a good example of Windows tablets, why can't they set a good example of desktop PC? Given that the Surface lines are targeted at more premium market, I can't see any major conflict with the partners.

Yah they should and PC sales are also declining. They need to attract people again.

txaggie2016

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's needed. If a desktop is released, I wouldn't brand it under the "Surface" name. Microsoft put a lot of marketing money into calling a "Surface" "the tablet that can replace your laptop" -- i.e. not a desktop.

I also think it isn't needed because of this Continuum thing. Need a desktop? Hook your phone up to a monitor and presto! Sure, the people who need a power machine will still need one but I'd argue that subset already has / knows what they want / need.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yah they should and PC sales are also declining. They need to attract people again.

Most people who want a really high-end desktop, such as for gaming, will build one themselves. Those users aren't going to be interested in all-in-ones, anyway.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think that Microsoft should make a surface desktop display which is touch and pen capable. It would have a kickstand and a side dock for a surface pro 3. It would be great for designers/artists.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
The Build Quality on most of the All-In-One's are set high to start with, so again the only thing something like this serves to do is hurt partner sales.
As smoheath said they could launch a Touch/Pen Screen that lets you dock your Surface Pro/Surface.

However the Surface name was developed as a mobile platform, as only 1 or 2 major companies were even trying to make tablets, there were not to many cheep China made tablets either......everything was Android.

Surface Launched and Microsoft dropped the cost of the OS to small Tablet makers, the market has been growing slowly but growing none the less.

I can get behind a Screen/Dock to work with a Surface, but you don't need to damage relations with PC makers by cutting into their business,

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Surface "Desktop"

In the current situation, Microsoft should only build a Surface Desktop if they develop features that require special hardware. However, if the Surface line finally takes off, they should enter in all the product categories they want.

Ethan Alvaree

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm all for expanding the Surface line, which is turning out to be a considerable success. I'd personally like a 6" Surface Phone (with mini kickstand, type cover and pen) next though...

ar-7

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I think it seems that Microsoft is less interested in making hardware under Nadella. I think the cases where they are interested in making hardware (Surface) it is to provide something unique and to (hopefully) inspire innovation out of other OEMs. I'm not sure a Surface desktop fits that.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
MS want to free us from the desk - 'mobile, cloud' first etc....Ive been looking at upgrading all pc's at work and looks like I will get staff the SP4 when its out as well as 4 screens on the desk, will work fine.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I already have one. I took the desktop pc I already have, which is customized already exactly the way I wanted it, and added a touchscreen monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes