01-31-2016 11:10 AM
269 ... 45678 ...
tools
    He uses multiple devices. Lot of top ranking people have different devices for different reasons. For that reason I think that will be a good area for the surface team to focus on. One device to replace them all. How that is accomplished we have no clue. Investors wanted a tablet and they got a new definition of what a tablet is and what it can do. Can they accomplish this with a phone is a different story.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-27-2016 11:41 PM
    Using multiple device isn't an issue... But posting a picture to social media proves which his daily driver is... I can remember once when someone wrote about loving his android phone on crackberry, I guess he was fired. I even judge the WP team sometimes too cos of their multiple device usage. Cos their daily driver could be a samsung S crap while they come up here and write how wonderful life is using a 930. But I trust Dan.
    Varun Rajan likes this.
    01-28-2016 12:37 AM
    Actually it sums up pretty much everything about wp a great OS to brag about, lot of features but when it comes to actual usage , well i better get an iphone or an android, until you know, the OS matures.
    Ian_Superfly and arwars like this.
    01-28-2016 12:58 AM
    Oh, I did pretty much similar thing before. During my two years of employment in Microsoft, I got a task that required using a Mac machine, my superior did get me a Mac computer, and that was my first time using Mac OSX.
    01-28-2016 01:24 AM
    Not defending him or anything, but, when you travel abroad, you generally only want to rack up the roaming charges on ONE device. So that device was the iPhone in this case... When I was in Japan, my partner and I didn't use our phones without renting a 3G hotspot, and we used that for all our data. But I'm sure if he has 2 phones or 3 phones, the others were on Airplane mode and only one was connected. Or I could be completely wrong and didn't care and used them all, or doesn't even use a WP, or prefers iPhone to WP... Who knows! Just throwing out there the possibility... :)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-28-2016 02:19 AM
    He uses an iPhone because he likes it better?

Well, that's the most blatant admission that he failed with WP and W10M.
    01-28-2016 02:26 AM
    Joes response:
    joebelfiore-wp
    Joe here I wanted to comment because I think its useful for anyone working in tech.. or ASPIRING to work in tech.. to think about the trade-offs involved in what somehow appears as a "dramatic" decision! I suspect the significant majority of you will land on the same side of the issue that I have
    My job for the last couple of years has been (1) to curate the PC experience for Windows PCs (including tablet devices) and (2) to curate the experience for Windows Phones. In both capacities, its very important for me to understand products like the iPhone and Android phones, which are heavily used by PC users around the world, and which represent the competition for Windows Phone. Consumers and business users expect their PCs and phones to work in concert so to satisfy our customers we need to consider the devices they use AS WELL AS the devices wed like them to use.
    On a 9-month leave-of-absence, I have a HUGE AND UNUSUAL opportunity to get to know these products deeply. To understand the benefits and drawbacks of a full ecosystem like Windows, Android, iOS you have to LIVE IN IT. You have to feel its strengths and weaknesses, be let down, be delighted. And you cant do that just "playing around" with a device for a couple of days. You have to learn the UI, upload your photos, use cross-device apps and tools all of it.
    When we are developing a release of Windows, we MUST use it all the time, on all devices, in order to find the bugs, iterate the design. Theres really no choice or we cant build Windows as well as we should. On a leave-of-absence, there are tons of talented people doing that every day, which gives me the possibility of spending depth time on other devices, and using Windows very much like you Insiders do, without full knowledge of whats happening "behind the curtain".
    Furthermore, theres a lot of work happening at MS which integrates Windows PCs with iOS and Android devices like bringing Cortana to these phones so your intelligent assistant can help you whereever you are. I want to experience and understand all that work deeply too.
    So I think Vlad has it right when he says "its OK". (Thank you, Vlad.) But, Id go farther and say "itd be CRAZY not to"! In fact, when I posted on FB that I was taking a leave, I did mention explicitly that I would do this and (horror of horrors) Ive followed through, spending a bunch of time using Google Maps, Spotify, Periscope, a MacBook, a Nexus phone, etc.
    And.. in todays Microsoft, this practical, customer-focused attitude is well celebrated and supported. (and.. btw I love my Surface Book!)
    Thats all from me. Back to quality time with my family, well, and thinking about the (still-obviously-so-entertaining) question of what I could do next with my hair
    01-28-2016 03:20 AM
    If he and Microsoft has not deeply analyzed the iPhone and the rest of the competition before it is no wonder they are failing...

Ive been in the car industry and I know that they make sure that any interesting new model by the competition is bought, deeply tested and then stripped into pieces to check and learn EVERYTHING.

I call his answer pure Bull ****!
    Last edited by Ian_Superfly; 01-28-2016 at 04:55 AM.
    01-28-2016 03:37 AM
    Joe Belfiore should use Windows Phone while he's away to experience how awful it is at the moment.
    01-28-2016 04:16 AM
    If we're to give Joe the benefit of doubt and assume his reasoning is true, i think in the interests of continuing to be frank and honest, he should tell us exactly - in a no holds barred manner - what he really thinks of the iphone/iOS/OSX and android experiences and compare to the W10m/W10 experience. What do each do well? Where does he think W10/W10m needs to be improved and where does it excel? IS there anything he reckons has been overlooked and needs adding to the W10m product backlog?

Also can he hand on heart say he feels proud of the work being done at MS on W10m and that they have a chance to make a dent in the mobile marketplace?

IMHO there is nothing wrong with using a competitor device, anyone in his position would do so but he must understand the PR disaster that would ensue from so publicly using a device in a personal manner. He should do what everyone else does and set up some fake accounts and upload generic non-identifying pictures if he wanted to experience the end to end journey of using an iphone/android/whatever, but as long as youre one of the figureheads of MS Mobile then you should rep your brand.
    Varun Rajan likes this.
    01-28-2016 04:43 AM
    Joe Belfiore should use Windows Phone while he's away to experience how awful it is at the moment.
    Maybe Joe Belfiore knew Windows 10 Mobile was so bad he cannot even bring it out with him
    01-28-2016 04:43 AM
    Okay... I have officially given up on this community... I'm sorry... But it's the people in this community that drives newcomers away... Not the products. Jealous children.

Thank you all for the years, out.
    arwars and Geddeeee like this.
    01-28-2016 05:00 AM
    Wrong. Absolutely wrong.

Not caring how the users are suffering from your own product. Not making your product the best and giving away the best of your product to the other platform. Lack of great hardware. Not being able to attract developer attention because your product sucks and goes through continual reboots is what is hurting the platform.

The WP8 on the 1520 was the closest they ever got to getting it right, even with the items WP8 was lacking and the phantom touch of the 1520.

Its that lack of a hardware upgrade path (for YEARS), the "coming soon" that never comes, and a OS DOWNGRADE that put an iPhone in my pocket.

NOW I have the BEST of MS, and it's on a iPhone.
    Yep, Windows 10 Mobile is a huge downgrade from 8.1 in so many aspects, not all, but most of them.
    01-28-2016 05:32 AM
    Good for him in evaluating the competition. Makes total sense to me.
    But that choice of hair color: that's a smidge disturbing.
    Total sense? You mean after years of the iphone being sold, he does not know the competition and during his extended holiday he thinks of checking it out? :)))) Phalease...how can you believe that??
    Ian_Superfly and Kevin Rush like this.
    01-28-2016 05:36 AM
    A really poor job how? If it wasn't for WP7 and 8 I wouldn't have given a crap about WP at all. NOT AT ALL. The problem was the lack of marketing and the lack of motivation from MS in getting this amazing OS out there. Now with W10M we can't even brag about having a rock solid OS with a great UI. A half-baked OS with a wannabe UI and an even shakier future isn't exciting anyone
    These guys didn't foresee the smartphone would become the most important computing device for most people. They designed a companion device for the PC, a limited product closer to a feature phone. Besides, wp7 and wp8 have huge usability problems and a boring desing.

Microsoft had a big opportunity to enter the smartphone market, Belfiore and his team just blew it.
    01-28-2016 05:42 AM
    These guys didn't foresee the smartphone would become the most important computing device for most people. They designed a companion device for the PC, a limited product closer to a feature phone. Besides, wp7 and wp8 have huge usability problems and a boring desing.

Microsoft had a big opportunity to enter the smartphone market, Belfiore and his team just blew it.
    Competition is all about timing. These guys ddidn't get the timing right. If at all even when they did, they released a half baked product after setting huge expectations. Why would he use a wp when 8.1 is DEAD and 10 is far from being usable? Leaving the wp users with a dead OS which doesn't have any development and loaded with obselete apps in the store. These guys are still giving great speeches about W10M whereas in android you have the biggest release MI5 happening and is scheduled. How long can wp users just boast about windows just with a camera being an advantage which is also screwed up with W10M
    01-28-2016 05:57 AM
    As for the WP is bad, why, just because it doesn't have a few silly apps that are of interest to the 15-30yr old crowd? I don't selfie, snapchat... etc., pfffftttttt.
    Dismissing these apps as "silly" is ignorant and proves a lack of understanding as to why WP is struggling. My wife loved her Windows Phone and still misses it every once in a while. The problem is that she works for one of the top private colleges in the country. With the rise is Social Media, they have expanded their reach to students in ways that never existed before. It was the lack of these "silly" apps that caused her to switch to iPhone so she could do her job!
    N_LaRUE and Stiv X like this.
    01-28-2016 06:01 AM
    Competition is all about timing. These guys ddidn't get the timing right. If at all even when they did, they released a half baked product after setting huge expectations. Why would he use a wp when 8.1 is DEAD and 10 is far from being usable? Leaving the wp users with a dead OS which doesn't have any development and loaded with obselete apps in the store. These guys are still giving great speeches about W10M whereas in android you have the biggest release MI5 happening and is scheduled. How long can wp users just boast about windows just with a camera being an advantage which is also screwed up with W10M
    Some still do.
    01-28-2016 06:02 AM
    Okay... I have officially given up on this community... I'm sorry... But it's the people in this community that drives newcomers away... Not the products. Jealous children.

Thank you all for the years, out.
    12-bye-felicia.w750.h560.2x.png

One of the strengths of the Windows Central community here is everyone feeling comfortable to express their OPINIONS and to defend them by debating with those who don't agree. This place would be boring and be mistaken for typical Apple fan site if everyone was patted on the head and given a cookie for anything and everything they say.
    Stiv X likes this.
    01-28-2016 06:08 AM
    01-28-2016 06:16 AM
    I'd really like to know how my post got marked as spam before I even posted it...
    01-28-2016 06:19 AM
    So conclusion:

Joe has been using an iPhone and Android devices for years... so said excuse makes no sense. Even if it's the 'latest' OS update. It's an iPhone.

No one really cares what Joe personally uses and we're all quite happy that he does look at other devices and OS.

However, he is the public face of Windows at the moment. He should have some idea that people may comment and it's perception that is important to people.

In the age of internet and social media reactions are instant. They should know this by now.
    Last edited by N_LaRUE; 01-28-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    arwars, Kevin Rush and Ek-Balam like this.
    01-28-2016 06:26 AM
    Man, I wish I had everyone's psychic ablilities in that you all know what Joe is doing and why, and why MS is doing everything wrong. Me, I'd use those powers to buy powerball tickets. :) As for the WP is bad, why, just because it doesn't have a few silly apps that are of interest to the 15-30yr old crowd? I don't selfie, snapchat... etc., pfffftttttt. It works great as a phone, Edge could be better but I can still surf, keep in contact with friends on facistbook, email, message, check weather, appointments on calendar, and Cortana doesn't do to bad on reminding me of things. Just because it doesn't have every app under the sun doesn't make it a bad phone IMHO.
    Sorry, Peter.
    All that selfie and snapchat things are not silly, they make the platform popular - even at 41 I can understand that. And I certanly don't use those.
    Also, "I can still surf" while browsing in other OSs is GOOD seems silly; "facistbook" works WAY better in iOS and Android; email takes FOREVER to load images to and from recipients; weather and messages are also very good in other platforms (sometimes, even BETTER); Cortana "not doing bad" is just sad, when people think Siri and Google Now are GOOD; and don't even get me started with calendar: you can't search and you CAN'T GO OVER 2 WEEKS PRIOR OR FOWARD THE PRESENT DATE! How come someone could actually think any enterprise would addopt WM and not be able to see over a four week span?

I guess people just tend to cling to an OS and miss the point on what is, well, missing.
    "Good enough" and "don't use/need the app" is just sad.

Also, I believe, with all my heart, that when you use it at work, it's not pleasure, it's work, while when you use it on vacation, it's not work, it's pleasure.
    N_LaRUE, Varun Rajan and arwars like this.
    01-28-2016 06:27 AM
    a picture is worth a thousant words. Nailed it.
    01-28-2016 06:28 AM
    Not defending him or anything, but, when you travel abroad, you generally only want to rack up the roaming charges on ONE device. So that device was the iPhone in this case... When I was in Japan, my partner and I didn't use our phones without renting a 3G hotspot, and we used that for all our data. But I'm sure if he has 2 phones or 3 phones, the others were on Airplane mode and only one was connected. Or I could be completely wrong and didn't care and used them all, or doesn't even use a WP, or prefers iPhone to WP... Who knows! Just throwing out there the possibility... :)
    When you travel abroad, you want to pack a phone that WORKS.
    That's just what he did, and that would be really ok if he wasn't the head guy pushing a non-working OS to the public.
    mirondanro and Varun Rajan like this.
    01-28-2016 06:33 AM
269 ... 45678 ...