The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-24-2016 11:32 AM
46 12
tools
    Thing is though,<snip>
    No disagreements here...

I was trying to say (without saying it) the attitude of entitlement that seems to guide quite a few who love to geek out comes into play with the updating.
    Some are weary and many will never give in and that's perfectly fine.
    Laura Knotek, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    04-09-2016 04:06 PM
    I'm gone. A new xperia z5dual is ordered. A list of things I want to do on my wp that I cannot....1. take payments via square or PayPal, neither support Canada on wp, 2. Use wearable of my choosing, 3. Listen to siriusxm, 4. Deposit checks via banking app, which was available for a year on the same app on android, 5. Make payments via phone, 6. Flight check in and boarding passes via my preferred airlines app which on windows is just a link to the site, 7. Reliably shop using eBay etc, most other apps are Mia on wp. I could go on. And on.
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    04-09-2016 06:16 PM
    And what's funny is that if even number one worked, I would stay on wp.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-09-2016 07:09 PM
    To use 8.1 on my current 640, 820 and 920 until MS pulls the plug. No interest whatsoever in
    "upgrading" to W10M. I already have an old Android phone for that.
    04-09-2016 08:00 PM
    when it was 12 months old!!
    My L830 came out of the gate shortchanged and 20ish months later were still sucking the hind wienie, due for a W10M upgrade but now that the onus is put onto the carriers itll be guess and by golly if it ever materializes for all. Time is of the essence and nobody can tell me this wont play a role as to whether many carriers even bother especially on a device nearing the 2 year mark, and of course MS will be relieved of blame as its the carriers fault, yeah OK.
    Guytronic and Kram Sacul like this.
    04-09-2016 08:45 PM
    I recently grabbed a s7 edge to use as my main phone but still have my Icon for a secondary phone. The 930 getting the access to the redstone branch but the Icon getting left behind was the last straw for me.

I would have preferred to leave VZ after going through the 2 year fiasco of how badly VZ treated us Icon/WP users and head to AT&T but the 950/950xl are not compelling enough phones imho to make me switch at this time.

Me continuing to use my Icon as my daily driver till late 2016/early 2017 waiting for new WP models to be released along with all the uncertainty of what kind of support the Icon is going to get from VZ/MS didn't appeal to me so I decided to make the switch.

If by early 2017 I see some great WP flagships released and see improvement in the WP ecosystem I will not hesitate to go back to WP because even with the fantastic hardware of my s7 edge and the availability of all the apps on droid I still prefer the overall experience and ease of use of WP over android.
    Last edited by jazz70; 04-10-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    04-10-2016 03:13 PM
    When I switched from android, it was when ICS was just coming on board. It was not near as polished as it is now with MM. Windows phone was awesome, and now the reverse is true. WP is horrible and android is MUCH better. w10 is not near a smooth as marshmallow, apps, wearables, other devices, etc. Android has Windows phone beat all over the place.
    04-10-2016 04:26 PM
    Keep using my L920. Maybe one day I'll hear that wm10 is ready and pick up a 950 on the cheap if that day isn't too close to a Surface Phone. If my L920 were to die today, I guess it'd be Android. :/
    ven07 likes this.
    04-11-2016 10:33 AM
    I'm going to ride my 1020 for another year on 8.1. When I see the 950 for a reasonable price ($100-200) I'll buy it and go W10M. I'm trying 10 on my $30 640 and I'm impressed. But there is no way I can live with the 640's camera coming from the 1020.

I was considering switching to Android until I gave 10 a try on the 640 (I bought it as a music player and test phone). I have an Honor 5X lying around (free review unit from Amazon) that I could switch to at any point, and the apps are great (camera is just average) but I just enjoy the WP interface too much.
    04-11-2016 09:43 PM
    My Lumia Icon has been reset to Win8.1 and it's now my backup smartphone. Not going to use the unfinished Win10M on it as it's not supported by MSFT going forward. I'm using the best Smartphone on the market right now( iPhone 6s+) and love it. I'm waiting until a Surface Phone or whatever they end up calling it next year so see if I'm going back to Win10M. I really miss some of the functionality of my Windows Phone, but for now, the apps, functions, size and functionality of the iPhone 6s+ is just amazing!
    04-12-2016 08:46 AM
    My plans, sell my 2 lumia 735's. Maybe come back when win10 mobile is more refined and has more apps.. it's fine even really good on my desk top and laptop but mobile is seriously lacking imvho. tbh, I don't even know if I miss my wp's, they're sitting in a drawer.
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-12-2016 10:11 AM
    Microsoft are done for 2016. They have built the 3 types of phones they said they would and they have "no focus" on phone this year.

I have a Lumia 930 that I like but basically the Windows 10 Mobile experience is a reboot back to version zero. Stuff crashes, apps are not working correctly, some (like Here) are disappearing and Microsoft doesn't seem to be committed to it's own platform. So my daily phone is a Galaxy S6 with a full suite of Microsoft apps.
    04-12-2016 02:14 PM
    i am sticking with windows phone forever.

currently using windows phone 7.5, because it works the best for me.

no interest in windows phone 8, or 8.1

i just got a lumia 650 with windows 10 as a present.

i don't plan on using it for anything except a backup, since it doesn't
    have a hardware keyboard.

at least i can test it out, until the surface phone comes out or something better comes out.

later
    04-12-2016 02:37 PM
    To upgrade to WM10 as cheaply as possible so I can save the money when the x3 hits or when the surface phone or if I see a compelling device from another OEM at the flagship level that warrants a 500 purchase. Right now L930 are going for ridiculously cheap prices second hand, (sub 100) and given what you get at that price - it really is a no brainer in my opinion :)
    Guytronic likes this.
    04-12-2016 06:08 PM
    For me? WP is dead! Long live WP!

Seriously though, I can understand where the Symbian, Palm, and Blackberry devotees probably were at some point.

I got on board with a couple of Trophy's waaaay back, still have them, plus a 520, 928, and 929. Got my mom onto a 928 as well, running on prepaid.

I've kept (or rolled back) the modern ones on WP8. Tried 8.1 and didn't like the direction...but wheeee it's like veering into the ditch versus off the cliff like WM. ;)

Anyway, I have used my *drumroll* 808 Pureview more over the last year for photography, good chance I might just switch to that when my Verizon contract (with unlimited!) runs out in the fall.

If I do go for a modern phone for say to day use, I really don't know where I'll go. IPhone...maybe. But maybe Android, simply with the hardware options available. Likely used either way.

Now, time to shoo some kids off my lawn...
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    04-12-2016 07:05 PM
    I'm jumping the Android train and don't have any solid plans for WP. I'll keep my eye on this eco-system and if the stars will align (more and better apps, solid OS and great hardware) I might return eventually.
    Also I should take into acount MS's attitude and trustworthiness regarding WP. They broke their promisses way too many times.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-13-2016 06:55 PM
    My L830 came out of the gate shortchanged and 20ish months later were still sucking the hind wienie, due for a W10M upgrade but now that the onus is put onto the carriers itll be guess and by golly if it ever materializes for all. Time is of the essence and nobody can tell me this wont play a role as to whether many carriers even bother especially on a device nearing the 2 year mark, and of course MS will be relieved of blame as its the carriers fault, yeah OK.
    The carrier 'thing' isn't always an excuse. I've been the victim, along with many others, of carrier blocking. When I toyed with droid, my carrier left my device hanging whilst everyone got shiny new stuff.

If carrier blocking is just an excuse for an OS developer to give up, why is XDA so popular? Why do certain OEM's release a device and then region lock them, effectively barring certain parts of the world from updates? One of the reason carriers behave in this way, is they would rather you trade up. They have no interest, or benefit, in users sticking with the same device. They want to sign you into another contract for another couple of years, with a new device. If you just take an airtime agreement and keep you old device, they are losing big time.

Why would an OS developer spend time, and money, on devices that can't be taken any further along the development road? Why would they release to a device, that testing by users, shows issues.

As said before, it isn't ideal, but it's life. The original W10M release statement did say depending on carriers and 'other' factors
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    04-14-2016 11:48 AM
    The carrier 'thing' isn't always an excuse. I've been the victim, along with many others, of carrier blocking. When I toyed with droid, my carrier left my device hanging whilst everyone got shiny new stuff.
    You are right but IMO the fate of WM updates/upgrades has already been determined by past and present history and not the fact that now the carriers have been given the opportunity to do so yet may chose not to, hence, "their fault".

When you look at the state of WP, a) the majority of windows phones are nearing or are 2 years or older, b) carriers offering WPs in North America is basically nil (L735 on Verizon). I see little that would entice many to invest or even bother supporting a platform that has slid under the radar, too much instability, inconsistencies and indecisiveness that only the diehards are willing participants as it stands now.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-14-2016 10:59 PM
    I'm probably one of the very few people to do this recently, but I got rid of my Samsung S6 Edge and picked up a Lumia 950. I'm pleased with it so far, but I would be even more pleased if MS released a Surface Phone that would sit nicely along side my Surface Book. For now, I'll sight tight with my 950 to see what happens next year.
    kaktus1389 likes this.
    04-23-2016 04:36 PM
    About a month ago I ditched my 630 and bought 640 XL, I really like it so far but I will most probably go for Surface phone which will hopefully come out next year, if my budget will allow me to (I would have gone for the 950 and 950 XL but I'm a bit low on budget). I never thought of leaving from day one I got my first Windows Phone, the 630.
    04-24-2016 10:16 AM
    As of April 17th I hesitantly put aside my three WPs and went all-in w/Android, wanted to continue on the WP bandwagon but just couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. Yes there is Windows Insider that could have helped keep some of the spark alive but at what point does one decide “ok, now I want a smartphone that can be just that w/o the constant tinkering and resets in hopes of achieving satisfactory daily usage”. WM worked yet always made me wanting more, not because of greed but more so just being able to have a bit of parity with the other platforms, was far from happening for me.

So I could have gone out and bought a 950 series which IMO hasn’t shown its worth and is already 6ish months old, the 650 may be the newest of the bunch but how long does one think it will stand up to the test-of-time, highly doubt very long considering the low specs. Other than the option to purchase from MS I see WP vanishing at a rapid pace via carriers and retailers alike, doesn’t make the platform a very enticing proposition to invest in the way I see it.

In the end my plans are “there are no plans” as we have moved on, “soon” just wasn’t soon enough for this former user.
    Guytronic and libra89 like this.
    04-24-2016 11:32 AM
46 12