What Are Your Plans for WP?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The one thing I really wish we had on windows is a true mid range phone that's priced around $250 unlocked and under

I think we'll see a few of these pop up sooner rather than later. The only viable one I have seen so far, resides in Japan lol. I think Coship has one as well? not sure

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
WP is finished, and the sooner MS gets everything under the W10 banner, the better. As for goodies, I'll stick with my 950's and 950xl's, for now, and watch what happens in the OEM market or indeed, see if MS can offer up something of better quality and design next year. Would be interested in more OEM's with continuum capabilities. At present the let down is the mobile OS. I recall so many crying out for it, berating MS for the lengthy delay and general unhappiness with delays, that now they have it, they now turn their attention to other items. People asked for it, they got it and now moan it's poor / incomplete/ full of bugs etc. You gotta start somewhere, but stop the griping, you wanted it and it wasn't ready. Hopefully, Redstone will tidy things up abit.

It matters not what happens, or doesn't happen, the dissenters will still appear and spew their particular type of hatred. These could be interesting times for W10 mobile, so sit back, chill, and enjoy the ride. Failing that, there are a couple of other OS's around.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
People asked for it, they got it and now moan it's poor / incomplete/ full of bugs etc. You gotta start somewhere, but stop the griping, you wanted it and it wasn't ready. Hopefully, Redstone will tidy things up abit.

True.
I remember a comment way back in the 8.1 preview days on here that read something like:
"So many are demanding that MS do something...then they pound on them for doing it"

A lot of this dissention reminds me of the Android device root addiction syndrome of yore.
What ever new ROM appeared hundreds piled on it then rolled back and forth because this was broken or that was worse...on and on...
Bricks and crying were rampant :)

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
True.
I remember a comment way back in the 8.1 preview days on here that read something like:
"So many are demanding that MS do something...then they pound on them for doing it"

A lot of this dissention reminds me of the Android device root addiction syndrome of yore.
What ever new ROM appeared hundreds piled on it then rolled back and forth because this was broken or that was worse...on and on...
Bricks and crying were rampant :)

Thing is though, us level headed guys always get shot down. .164 wasn't the finished article, and then the debacle of some not getting it.... I agree that it wasn't particularly nice to be dropped, but many did not read the disclaimers that MS put up, including carriers, and importantly, other factors. Some of these guys have obviously not had flagship android devices that get dropped after 18 months. That's why I was kept busy cooking ROMs for the Note 3, when it was 12 months old!!

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I usually keep a phone for a couple of years, and bought my first Windows phone less than one month ago. And yes, I already knew it was a sinking platform before buying it but I did it for the unmached price and price/features ratio. Particularly the 5 Mpx. front-facing camera caught my atention as well as the big sceen.

It costed me AR$ 2999 (207 US Dollars) SIM-free, and that's considered cheap for a device with these features. There was no 8 GB, 1 GB RAM Android device for that money, let alone the 5-inch screen and the 5 mp front-facing camera. So, I had not much of a choice and if I decided to switch back to Android I would have to buy a way inferior device (the closest match was the LG Leon H340).

I'm on contract and I could have bought something cheaper from my carrier but I decided to buy a Lumia 535. My carrier doesn't offer any Microsoft phone because they are in a feud with Microsoft for stupid reasons (MSFT won't allow Claro to include their own apps). So, a company with a failed platform thinks they can afford losing a deal with the biggest Latin-American carrier with 20+ million customers. That's a shame.

Bottom line: I'll stick with Windows for a while and then see what happens. It's been an interesting experience so far. Heck, I even bought the same model for my mother (mine is black, hers is green) a few days after I bought mine!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thing is though,<snip>

No disagreements here...

I was trying to say (without saying it) the attitude of entitlement that seems to guide quite a few who love to geek out comes into play with the updating.
Some are weary and many will never give in and that's perfectly fine.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm gone. A new xperia z5dual is ordered. A list of things I want to do on my wp that I cannot....1. take payments via square or PayPal, neither support Canada on wp, 2. Use wearable of my choosing, 3. Listen to siriusxm, 4. Deposit checks via banking app, which was available for a year on the same app on android, 5. Make payments via phone, 6. Flight check in and boarding passes via my preferred airlines app which on windows is just a link to the site, 7. Reliably shop using eBay etc, most other apps are Mia on wp. I could go on. And on.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
To use 8.1 on my current 640, 820 and 920 until MS pulls the plug. No interest whatsoever in
"upgrading" to W10M. I already have an old Android phone for that.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
when it was 12 months old!!

My L830 came out of the gate shortchanged and 20ish months later we?re still sucking the hind wienie, due for a W10M upgrade but now that the onus is put onto the carriers it?ll be guess and by golly if it ever materializes for ?all?. Time is of the essence and nobody can tell me this won?t play a role as to whether many carriers even bother especially on a device nearing the 2 year mark, and of course MS will be relieved of blame as it?s ?the carriers fault?, yeah OK.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I recently grabbed a s7 edge to use as my main phone but still have my Icon for a secondary phone. The 930 getting the access to the redstone branch but the Icon getting left behind was the last straw for me.

I would have preferred to leave VZ after going through the 2 year fiasco of how badly VZ treated us Icon/WP users and head to AT&T but the 950/950xl are not compelling enough phones imho to make me switch at this time.

Me continuing to use my Icon as my daily driver till late 2016/early 2017 waiting for new WP models to be released along with all the uncertainty of what kind of support the Icon is going to get from VZ/MS didn't appeal to me so I decided to make the switch.

If by early 2017 I see some great WP flagships released and see improvement in the WP ecosystem I will not hesitate to go back to WP because even with the fantastic hardware of my s7 edge and the availability of all the apps on droid I still prefer the overall experience and ease of use of WP over android.

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
When I switched from android, it was when ICS was just coming on board. It was not near as polished as it is now with MM. Windows phone was awesome, and now the reverse is true. WP is horrible and android is MUCH better. w10 is not near a smooth as marshmallow, apps, wearables, other devices, etc. Android has Windows phone beat all over the place.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Keep using my L920. Maybe one day I'll hear that wm10 is ready and pick up a 950 on the cheap if that day isn't too close to a Surface Phone. If my L920 were to die today, I guess it'd be Android. :/

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to ride my 1020 for another year on 8.1. When I see the 950 for a reasonable price ($100-200) I'll buy it and go W10M. I'm trying 10 on my $30 640 and I'm impressed. But there is no way I can live with the 640's camera coming from the 1020.

I was considering switching to Android until I gave 10 a try on the 640 (I bought it as a music player and test phone). I have an Honor 5X lying around (free review unit from Amazon) that I could switch to at any point, and the apps are great (camera is just average) but I just enjoy the WP interface too much.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
My Lumia Icon has been reset to Win8.1 and it's now my backup smartphone. Not going to use the unfinished Win10M on it as it's not supported by MSFT going forward. I'm using the best Smartphone on the market right now( iPhone 6s+) and love it. I'm waiting until a Surface Phone or whatever they end up calling it next year so see if I'm going back to Win10M. I really miss some of the functionality of my Windows Phone, but for now, the apps, functions, size and functionality of the iPhone 6s+ is just amazing!

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
My plans, sell my 2 lumia 735's. Maybe come back when win10 mobile is more refined and has more apps.. it's fine even really good on my desk top and laptop but mobile is seriously lacking imvho. tbh, I don't even know if I miss my wp's, they're sitting in a drawer.

Stephen Townsley

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft are done for 2016. They have built the 3 types of phones they said they would and they have "no focus" on phone this year.

I have a Lumia 930 that I like but basically the Windows 10 Mobile experience is a reboot back to version zero. Stuff crashes, apps are not working correctly, some (like Here) are disappearing and Microsoft doesn't seem to be committed to it's own platform. So my daily phone is a Galaxy S6 with a full suite of Microsoft apps.

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i am sticking with windows phone forever.

currently using windows phone 7.5, because it works the best for me.

no interest in windows phone 8, or 8.1

i just got a lumia 650 with windows 10 as a present.

i don't plan on using it for anything except a backup, since it doesn't
have a hardware keyboard.

at least i can test it out, until the surface phone comes out or something better comes out.

later

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
To upgrade to WM10 as cheaply as possible so I can save the money when the x3 hits or when the surface phone or if I see a compelling device from another OEM at the flagship level that warrants a ?500 purchase. Right now L930 are going for ridiculously cheap prices second hand, (sub ?100) and given what you get at that price - it really is a no brainer in my opinion :)

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
For me? WP is dead! Long live WP!

Seriously though, I can understand where the Symbian, Palm, and Blackberry devotees probably were at some point.

I got on board with a couple of Trophy's waaaay back, still have them, plus a 520, 928, and 929. Got my mom onto a 928 as well, running on prepaid.

I've kept (or rolled back) the modern ones on WP8. Tried 8.1 and didn't like the direction...but wheeee it's like veering into the ditch versus off the cliff like WM. ;)

Anyway, I have used my *drumroll* 808 Pureview more over the last year for photography, good chance I might just switch to that when my Verizon contract (with unlimited!) runs out in the fall.

If I do go for a modern phone for say to day use, I really don't know where I'll go. IPhone...maybe. But maybe Android, simply with the hardware options available. Likely used either way.

Now, time to shoo some kids off my lawn...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss