Is it possible to run UWP apps on older platforms like WP 8.1?

GameFreak19

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
As my Lumia 1020 won't be getting WP10 upgrade, So i was wondering if there is a way to run new UWP apps on older OS like 8.1. Any help, suggestions or rumor is welcomed. Just want to know if there is or will be a way in future. Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased the UWP App, Prune. I only paid for it once.

It installed on my Windows 10 laptop, my W10M phones and on an RT 8.1 tablet. Syncs progress between devices as well. There are more examples I could list.

It really only seems to depend on if you can find it in the store with that device.

As my Lumia 1020 won't be getting WP10 upgrade, So i was wondering if there is a way to run new UWP apps on older OS like 8.1. Any help, suggestions or rumor is welcomed. Just want to know if there is or will be a way in future. Thanks

GameFreak19

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I recently purchased the UWP App, Prune. I only paid for it once.

It installed on my Windows 10 laptop, my W10M phones and on an RT 8.1 tablet. Syncs progress between devices as well. There are more examples I could list.

It really only seems to depend on if you can find it in the store with that device.

Thanks for the info. It proves there is still hope for us :)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It proves there is still hope for us :)
Don't misunderstand what RumoredNow described. An UWP app will never run on anything older than W10 / W10M. Period.

A W8.1 app will run on W10 however. WP8.x apps will also run on W10M.

A developer can also publish a WP8.1, a W8.1 and a W10 UWP app to the store simultaneously, all under the same name, meaning you'll be provided the version of that app which is most appropriate for the OS you're using.

GameFreak19

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Don't misunderstand what RumoredNow described. An UWP app will never run on anything older than W10 / W10M. Period.

A W8.1 app will run on W10 however. WP8.x apps will also run on W10M.

A developer can also publish a WP8.1, a W8.1 and a W10 UWP app to the store simultaneously, all under the same name, meaning you'll be provided the version of that app which is most appropriate for the OS you're using.

An app is an app. If the developers will provide us with updates for the corresponding UWP release then that is fine tu too. Hope they will or else we are doomed.

GameFreak19

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
^ If that's your view, then you probably made a mistake in asking specifically about UWP apps ��

I made this thread because i thought developers are exclusively going for Universal Windows Platform thus abandoning the old platform and its users. But when i read your and other people's comments then i realized there are still developers who are making and updating apps for older platform which is a good thing for all of us. That is all, nothing more nothing less (^_^).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I made this thread because i thought developers are exclusively going for Universal Windows Platform thus abandoning the old platform and its users. But when i read your and other people's comments then i realized there are still developers who are making and updating apps for older platform which is a good thing for all of us. That is all, nothing more nothing less (^_^).

Okay. I see what you're thinking. Unfortunately, it's not quite right.

Expect a few WP8.1 apps to be removed from the store, but expect most to remain the way they are now. Some WP8.1 apps, particularly those from larger companies, will continue to receive updates for some time, just don't expect them to be big updates with a lot of new features (you'll receive most of those updates only to keep them compatible with those company's evolving backend services). Those companies might also release a UWP app alongside their existing WP8.1 app (Plex is one such example).

However, don't expect anybody to develop new apps for WP8.1. Ever. Pretty much all new apps targeting Microsoft's mobile OS will be built exclusively for the UWP.

Last edited:

GameFreak19

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Okay. I see what you're thinking. Unfortunately, it's not quite right.

Expect a few WP8.1 apps to be removed from the store, but expect most to remain the way they are now. Some WP8.1 apps, particularly those from larger companies, will continue to receive updates for some time, just don't expect them to be big updates with a lot of new features (you'll receive most of those updates only to keep them compatible with those company's evolving backend services). Those companies might also release a UWP app alongside their existing WP8.1 app (Plex is an one such example).

However, don't expect anybody to develop new apps for WP8.1. Ever. Pretty much all new apps targeting Microsoft's mobile OS will be built exclusively for the UWP.

The truth is bitter as always. But still thanks for all the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon