Samsung S8 Microsoft edition

Jarrick Finkley

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 "Microsoft edition", phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

I honestly think it's genius. Windows phone is no longer a thing in most peoples minds. Even when Microsoft finally releases it's mobile surface device, it will be in a lane of it's own. Why shouldn't Microsoft support the most popular mobile OS-es. This way, IOS and Android can make Microsoft/Windows 10 relevant to the people who aren't interested in Surface.

QuietNine

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I think this is a good move. Lumia owners know what they are: beta testers for whatever the next thing to come is.

For the masses: Every time I visit the Microsoft store, its busy with people messing with SurfaceBooks, Surface Pros and Xbox stuff, but other than the staff very few are picking up the phones to see what Microsoft is doing in mobile.

If all of a sudden Microsoft has phones people recognize, that gives them a better opportunity to show off Microsoft's own mobile services, and thats important for keeping services like Cortana, Office, Bing and whatever comes next relevant.

cheetahwig1

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not happy that Android has surpassed Windows in worldwide usage, and not happy that Microsoft hasn't used its resources to fight back in any effective way. I love my Windows Phone (950XL) and go back to pre-6.5, but the apps I want and need just aren't here. My Band 2 crapped out, and there's nothing that works well with WP, although there are literally 100's of smartphones out there that work with iOS and Android. I'm looking at the Sony Xperia XZ Premium because it has a better camera than the Galaxy (19mb compared to just 13mb) along with an 835 Snapdragon CPU and 4k screen. Guess I'll have to switch when it comes out (and add the MS apps manually). Another one bites the dust...

passin

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
I whole heartedly agree with this. Microsoft giving its blessings to Samsung's docking solution is only a slap in the face to HP, who has done all they could to push Windows Mobile into the enterprise world. Now they will be left out in the cold while Enterprise sticks with their Android and iOS ways since they will also have the features that made Windows Mobile stand out. How will any other manufacture take Microsoft seriously if they waiver like this every time? I'm sure people have to be getting tired of this. HTC obviously was, there were companies before them and I'm sure more to follow that will dump this platform completely. All it would have taken was the ability to stand behind your own product fully instead of only putting a leg behind it and opening the door to trip it out.

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 "Microsoft edition", phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?

I understand that we are the ones on the dead platform, but this almost feels like a slap in the face.

Saeglopur89

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a small but final decision which states that they are not pushing their own mobile OS at all. MS just let Office on Android without any deal with Google - they could easily trade that for basic Google support at Windows phones.

Really I'm more and more worried with W10M as my main phone (main because for some time you just have to use iOS or Android at the same time :/ ). If they will show some ultra expensive and bulky Surface Phone it will be the end. Without anything for mass users whole platform will lose it's traction eventually. I'm still impressed that we have so many apps and from time to time something new is showing up - for who?! :O For all of us? 9 users world wide?

Vincent Ryan

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is a business, it makes business sense to have their apps on as many devices and platforms as possible, personally I will use a Windows phone a long as they are available, simply because I don't like how Android or iOS function as a mobile OS, Windows works for me and I like being the only person in the room with a unique phone!

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
"We're sorry for what Windows 10 Mobile has become. As an apology, we'll sell you a great piece of hardware with our great software that will follow you over."

This is pretty much what it feels like.
Although it may be that they're rubbing Samsung's back in hopes of a W10 powered S8 being made. I'm sure Samsung wouldn't mind if MS did all the work lol

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I really don't get this decision at all... selling Android phones, UNLESS they are getting ready to announce what they were rumoured to be doing some time ago by making a device dual bootable Win10/Android. This I would understand and if this is being revealed at Build or some other announcement - friggin' awesome.

Otherwise, why stop there. Get some veggies, Hush Puppy loafers, Timex watches and make it the new 24/7 convenience store. I mean really. This isn't going to draw Android users in or iOS users for that matter... they will see it as Microsoft screwing over their customers yet again, and this is one of the big reasons why they 'hate on' Microsoft. You've all seen it. It doesn't matter what it is, there is a deep 'dislike' media and consumers have for Microsoft and we know it's unjustified. But this is the sort of gameplay they see on the surface and make up their minds that Microsoft isn't to be trusted or reputable.

I may be completely off here but I've seen and heard it myself numbers of times to do with consumers and Microsoft.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Feels like they are admitting that it's over, which sucks, because even incomplete, Win10Mobile is a better OS than either iOS or Android. I just don't like them. I really wish MS would go all in, but they don't seem to want to.

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Well mine is preordered. When the S8+ was announced I thought it was a beautiful device "BUT" I am a windows guy. Then the announcement of the windows edition hit and I see it as a white flag. If Microsoft brings something interesting to the table I will be back but until then wish me luck with my first android since 2009.

Luuthian

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
This is probably for the best... For everyone. If Samsung not only has an interest in the phone to PC space, but is somehow capable of doing it BETTER than MS, then having MS embrace that in its entirety is good news for everyone. Microsoft can focus on what they do best and Samsung can complete the other half of the picture.

I mean really, does it matter what OS a person runs these days? Google had the right vision first: the internet is the future platform of everything. Aside from the profits of hardware sales Microsoft can only harm itself by pursuing Windows mobile in its current state. Teaming up with Samsung, instead, to ensure that Android users are introduced to MS's productivity suite off the bat was the right plan.

This move is a breath of fresh air. Microsoft becoming as platform agnostic as possible is a gift. I realize they can't embrace that move fully (and MANY of us will need Windows for a long time no matter what Dex can do) but it's a perfect step in the right direction for their mobile services.

eryker

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Nadella is a moron. I hope ICE come knocking on his door soon. He isn't a Windows Phone fan, there's a fine balance between pragmatism and conviction and he's just a long line of politically correct, lily-livered, spineless, one-big-happy-family-let's-all-get-along-together CEO's that seem to be the norm these days. It's been two years since we've had a new Windows Phone and the ***** isn't listening.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not certain on what all the huss and fuss is about. It is not running Windows and it is still an Android device. Android. I t runs android apps, and uses a linux kernel. Still the same Samsung type of device we see once a year. Just a little bigger and even more expensive.

To me it just is not the same without a Windows OS plain and simple. I am not Microsoft so they are going to do whatever they want to do in their stores. I still have W10M phone, still running the latest OS and still getting updates so for now I see nothing different.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I wish Microsoft would embrace an Android base so that it can instantly have millions of apps, but put a Really Good Microsoft "skin" on top, and make All Microsoft services Native defaults. Windows mobile OS will always be the best OS there ever was on a phone, but with no apps, it will never go anywhere. Stick a fork in WP, it's done.
Samsung takes Android OS and makes it VERY Samsung with a tizen "skin" and all Samsung apps are defaults even though there are google apps on the phone as well
Microsoft should just run with it but take it a LOT further than a S8 with pre installed MS apps.
blackberry did this, MS should too since WP is dead. There is Not going to be a Surface phone. it will still have NO APPS.
The iPhone with MS apps preinstalled will never happen. With iOS, you can't set native apps like you can on android.
So Cortana, Bing maps etc can be installed, but as soon as you bring up Siri etc. it will always go to Apples native apps. Also, every time you wiped the iPhone and reinstalled the OS, it would just default back to apple and erase the MS apps.
So, embrace what you can and make it your own Microsoft.

cyan1two

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

Why is MS being so secretive? It is better for them to come out in the open and tell us what they are up to. It would wise for them to tell the world that they are out of making phones let alone smartphones on the windows platform. Then we would decide what to do next and where to go for our next smart phones. It is not doing them any good both the windows phone fans and manufacturers. As you have asked ask this question, ask MS as well we need to hear what their take is. My Nokia Lumia 1520 is aging I need a good new smart phone from MS.
Cyan1two

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon