The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-23-2017 05:21 AM
107 123 ...
tools
    Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 "Microsoft edition", phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?
    Last edited by Vishca; 04-03-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo/grammer
    04-01-2017 05:42 PM
    I think Microsoft is doing what's best for Microsoft.
    04-01-2017 05:44 PM
    What do you all think?
    Interesting.
    I don't see a problem with it.
    Good way to promote the retail end of Microsoft.
    Microsoft offers apps for the iOS and Android users so why not?
    mark233, aximtreo, FXi2 and 4 others like this.
    04-01-2017 05:50 PM
    "We're sorry for what Windows 10 Mobile has become. As an apology, we'll sell you a great piece of hardware with our great software that will follow you over."
    esco757, eddieDOTexe and shakomeal like this.
    04-01-2017 05:53 PM
    Mind you these apps are already available on the other platforms, but its not a confidence booster when you walk into a Microsoft store. A Samsung S8 running windows would be nicer.
    04-01-2017 05:53 PM
    I believe it's mainly to help with the DeX system Samsung is doing.

I don't think there's a lot more into this other then they have a good working relationship with multiple avenues.
    04-01-2017 06:01 PM
    I think it is a way to draw in customers. They are bound to release newer surface hardware at some point. Just getting an android or apple user into a Microsoft store to start is a good thing. Some people don't know what they're missing you know.
    04-01-2017 08:59 PM
    ...Some people don't know what they're missing you know.
    Isn't that what advertising is for? Besides, how likely is it that an Apple customer would be lured into a Microsoft store by an Android phone, especially when the same apps are available on iOS?
    esco757, aximtreo and eddieDOTexe like this.
    04-02-2017 09:39 AM
    MS is showing that all of their software works on other hardware and OSes. They did this with iPhones awhile back. Saw them at my local MS stores. Nothing new.

What grinds my gear is Samsung did a better job of desktop on a smartphone than MS did.
    nate0, esco757, aximtreo and 3 others like this.
    04-02-2017 10:00 AM
    Would you want a Google edition W10 Phone?? With official google services (YouTube, maps, drive etc..)

... !!
    04-02-2017 10:51 AM
    Would you want a Google edition W10 Phone?? With official google services (YouTube, maps, drive etc..)

... !!
    Interesting question for users...

How about the corollary: would Google ever sanction a Google Edition W10 phone???
    jmshub, eddieDOTexe and shakomeal like this.
    04-02-2017 10:58 AM
    Isn't that what advertising is for? Besides, how likely is it that an Apple customer would be lured into a Microsoft store by an Android phone, especially when the same apps are available on iOS?
    Well, Microsoft's next step might be carrying an iOS device in there decked out with Microsoft services.
    04-02-2017 04:44 PM
    Well, Microsoft's next step might be carrying an iOS device in there decked out with Microsoft services.
    And the chances that Apple allows them to do so are...?
    nate0 and eddieDOTexe like this.
    04-02-2017 05:14 PM
    And the chances that Apple allows them to do so are...?
    Haha, I know. That will be the day, and Steve Jobs would wake up and dance a jig I guess. The point was that Microsoft has obviously partnered with Samsung. A new tablet also awaits in every Microsoft store made by Samsung now too. There's a deal in there somewhere.
    Guytronic, RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    04-02-2017 06:54 PM
    It's a good thing. Be confident in your product. Show you are the system to run across all devices. Now I almost died thinking they might have gotten an S8 to run Win 10 mobile, haha. But still MS is the only one with the ability to say "our stuff, even Cortana runs on any platform you the user choose". That's a lot stronger statement of confidence than people give MS credit for. Apple would be smart to allow the same thing. They won't but this alone shows Samsung is smarter. You wouldn't hesitate to run an Xbox on a Samsung TV right? MS stores are a place to show off a lot of technology and get help, questions answered and handle technology hands on. That is empowering the future, whether it's hardware by Lenovo, HP, Dell or MS. They all have value and for every device there is some customer out there who is looking for exactly what that device offers. All should be welcome.
    04-02-2017 09:19 PM
    You wouldn't hesitate to run an Xbox on a Samsung TV right?
    Excellent analogy!
    04-02-2017 09:24 PM
    I think a lot of people summarized what I think, it's both good for Samsung and Microsoft, more people using their devices and services, people will buy Samsung devices with Android anyways, that way at least are loading a lot of MS apps on it, maybe for some will be bloatware but for other it will be a good tool to use and that way spread the word.
    nate0 and Guytronic like this.
    04-02-2017 09:36 PM
    It might be good for businesses for both MS and Samsung, I don't care about. It certainly is a nail in the coffin of Windows Mobile/Phone in the form we know.
    04-03-2017 09:39 AM
    There's a deal in there somewhere.
    Isn't this just all part of the copyright lawsuit settlement from a few years back?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-03-2017 09:43 AM
    Excellent analogy!
    Except that Microsoft isn't in the TV market - selling Android phones would be no different to Apple deciding to sell Lumias running W10M in their stores - madness, but that's not unexpected given all the other nonsensical decisions they have made regarding Windows Phone/Mobile...
    eddieDOTexe likes this.
    04-03-2017 09:52 AM
    Sure the phone looks awesome though three reasons I wont get it. One its not Windows Mobile. Two it has the same lame s7 low megapixel sensor. 3. It's a lot of money. Im good im glad I have my Lumia 950 that performs just as I need it to with an amazing camera. Can't find a phone these days with WM and with great camera and great performance. There always a sacrifice to it.
    nate0 and Saeglopur89 like this.
    04-03-2017 09:53 AM
    Honestly, if we don't see something soon in regards to a Windows 10 telephony device (Surface phone or otherwise) and increased support for the OS from app creators, this is probably the route I will go. I've had Android before and didn't like it nearly as much as Windows mobile OS, but it's better for me than iOS. My current Win10 phone works just fine, but eventually there will come a point where I won't have a choice and I'll have to replace it.

As for Microsoft selling Samsung devices with Android on them rather than Win10. I understand the marketing scheme of showing that your apps run on multiple platforms. What I don't get is why they have to sell them in their stores. I agree there was a deal in there somewhere that we're not privy to. I'm just not sure who benefits from it and what those benefits are.

Another user asked the question about Google apps on a Windows 10 phone. Sign me up! If I can get Google apps on an OS that's smoother and more stable than Android, I'll take it.
    esco757 and eddieDOTexe like this.
    04-03-2017 09:59 AM
    Sure the phone looks awesome though three reasons I wont get it. One its not Windows Mobile. Two it has the same lame s7 low megapixel sensor. 3. It's a lot of money. Im good im glad I have my Lumia 950 that performs just as I need it to with an amazing camera. Can't find a phone these days with WM and with great camera and great performance. There always a sacrifice to it.
    Lot of people bash the x50 line up. They will go down of course as some the best Lumia's in my opinion. The pioneers of W10M.
    Guy_De_Siguro and pallentx like this.
    04-03-2017 09:59 AM
    Just read that Microsoft will sell Samsung S8 edition phone in their stores, Microsoft edition iphone deal also agreed. These phones will not run W10 but will run their native OS respectively, but will be installed with Microsoft apps, such as office,skype etc. As a long time supporter of the windows phone platform I'm not happy.What do you all think?
    Meh...it's like having a iPhone version that installs all Microsoft apps on 1st start.
    I think it's silly. I can install them myself which I do.
    esco757 likes this.
    04-03-2017 10:06 AM
    It's not the same sensor. Might go read up on that one. Same megapixels but not same sensor.
    04-03-2017 10:08 AM
107 123 ...