The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    They are definitely doing some things right under Nadella. However, why kill Groove on Android and iOS? The work is mainly done. They can put ads in it or charge a couple dollars for it if they need income to justify support costs. But, they should leave the door open to devices like Andromeda. I still play my mp3s on Android with Groove and don't want to pay monthly for music. Groove was a great fit with OneDrive. I would also like to see Microsoft have a mapping app on Android/iOS because I liked the mapping program on W10M. I would like to keep using my saved locations on Android.
    The maps and groove applications are good fits with the rest of the MS app ecosystem (cortana, one drive etc), and it would make sense to leave space for MSFT heavy consumers on Android and iOS, to have a "complete ecosystem". They may have had business arguments against it, but it helps having that ecosystem for retaining users, and offering an alternative to google, even if the user count isn't high at the time - the goal is always that the overall ecosystem users will be eventually higher.
    06-13-2018 07:10 AM
    Oh, please. Many of the things that didn't work were because he LACKED the vision and fortitude to develop them more. He gave up. And don't you DARE use Cortana as an example. Cortana is, for all intents and purposes, DEAD. The ONE are Cortana works beautifully is on the Windows phones. It's even hobbled on Windows 10 PCs by comparison---believe me, we have Cortana turned ON, full time, on all devices. We rely on Cortana more than any other single feature. And I can tell you every strength and weakness. Oh, and just try to make Cortana HALF as useful on an Android device. You can't do it. And Satya Nadella is doing NOTHING to improve that. NOTHING.

Now, you are correct that businesses exist to make money. And I've said that clearly Nadella is making money for the shareholders. But a business doesn't make money long if it abandons its customers. If Nadella is just going to suck up to the enterprise, then he just needs to come right out and say, "we really are no longer a consumer company, aside from the Xbox, which is going away because we want to become a game streaming service, so you might as well go to other platforms if you're just a consumer". Because THAT'S what's happening.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-13-2018 07:47 AM
    Chime in: Does Microsoft CEO Nadella deserve more credit than he gets?

06-13-2018 08:34 AM
    I agree with you that most of their growth is cloud based. Just as most of Apple's growth is iPhone based. The difference is that iPhone is a consumer product and the cloud... not so much.
    I, like most here, would love to see them release a new mobile device and continue their consumer friendliness shown with such products as Xbox and Surface. But kudos to Nadella for moving the company forward. Hitting the $100 mark for the first time ever was impressive. Also, they're in line for becoming one of the first, if not THE first, companies to hit 1 trillion dollars.
    06-13-2018 08:53 AM
    Oh, please. Many of the things that didn't work were because he LACKED the vision and fortitude to develop them more. He gave up. And don't you DARE use Cortana as an example. Cortana is, for all intents and purposes, DEAD. The ONE are Cortana works beautifully is on the Windows phones. It's even hobbled on Windows 10 PCs by comparison---believe me, we have Cortana turned ON, full time, on all devices. We rely on Cortana more than any other single feature. And I can tell you every strength and weakness. Oh, and just try to make Cortana HALF as useful on an Android device. You can't do it. And Satya Nadella is doing NOTHING to improve that. NOTHING.

Now, you are correct that businesses exist to make money. And I've said that clearly Nadella is making money for the shareholders. But a business doesn't make money long if it abandons its customers. If Nadella is just going to suck up to the enterprise, then he just needs to come right out and say, "we really are no longer a consumer company, aside from the Xbox, which is going away because we want to become a game streaming service, so you might as well go to other platforms if you're just a consumer". Because THAT'S what's happening.
    I don't subscribe to the notion that consumers have been abandoned. Microsoft is, always was and always will be, a software and services company. That their products and services coincided with general consumers was an added bonus. Just as Ford dabbled in refrigerators during the suburban sprawl of the 50s didn't take away from the fact that they were a carmaker.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk
    Laura Knotek and Drael646464 like this.
    06-13-2018 09:35 AM
    How many of you Nadella apologists know how many consumer facing products Microsoft ACTUALLY have?
    06-13-2018 10:16 AM
    How many of you Nadella apologists know how many consumer facing products Microsoft ACTUALLY have?
    Microsoft makes at least six consumer devices but how many Windows 10 devices do you think are available to consumers today?
    06-13-2018 11:38 AM
    Still waiting for phone, band, groove being reborn. There got to be something to replace them with some of Microsoft input... None of them were wrong, just missed this or that. There is big hole in what MS offers and in my heart. Hopefully something soon, before xmas.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-13-2018 03:33 PM
    Yes, with real fire.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-13-2018 09:28 PM
    Nutella is just riding the organic growth of cloud. Once cloud becomes commoditised he will retire with his billions as Microsoft becomes an empty shell of its former self. The future of technology hinges on the association of being "cool". Hence the dire importance of having cool consumer products. Satay just has such a low IQ he doesn't get that, at all. God damn I miss Ballmer and his sweaty armpits.
    Last edited by covfefe; 06-13-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: ballmer
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    06-13-2018 09:45 PM
    The "True, MS shares are doing really really well, and they are doing good with cloud business, however, cloud was doing good under Ballmer too so you don't really have to be a genius to make something that already works work.
    Nadella was the head of cloud/azure business under Ballmer, Nadella was credited highly for the success... it was one of the main driving forces for appointment of Nadella as CEO
    06-14-2018 12:08 AM
    Well. The pretty much only place where he doesn't get any credit is on this very forum … mostly by people, that (is my guess), is still in school or never tried to work in a big company and thinks a computer is only used for gaming, and snapinstafacebooking and that are so obsessed with the bloody phone that cant see anything else.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    06-14-2018 12:40 AM

Very well said. Thank you.
    06-14-2018 07:43 AM

So what, because a few updates went by without major focus on cortana, it's 'dead'? They do actually have windows core to finish up by the fall this year you know, a like 5+ year long project that might be the most ambitious software project in history.

By that logic, siri is dead.
    BajanSaint69 likes this.
    06-14-2018 07:56 AM
    Something between 1-3 to 1-4th of their profit as I recall comes from Microsoft studio's various gaming houses. It would take a long time to tally all their software products.

Add to that paid service subscriptions, and hardware products? I couldn't even guess, but I don't think anyone else could here either.

Certainly there's a serious chuck of their money coming directly from consumer markets.

Reading between the lines, it's almost like you meant to say "how many windows phones does Microsoft have on the market"?
    06-14-2018 07:58 AM
    Nutella is just riding the organic growth of cloud. Once cloud becomes commoditised he will retire with his billions as Microsoft becomes an empty shell of its former self. The future of technology hinges on the association of being "cool". Hence the dire importance of having cool consumer products. Satay just has such a low IQ he doesn't get that, at all. God damn I miss Ballmer and his sweaty armpits.
    Tell that to amazon. About as far from cool as you get. About as cool as a warehouse store, or a post office.

No, cool in terms of smartphone type hardware, only lasts as long as the hardware itself is cool. Which increasingly, it isn't. Post-adoption markets slow down, switch to price point competition. We are basically there in the west now. In five years more people will be buying Huawei or similar than flagship premium phones. That's just how hardware markets go - remember when everyone tried to have the latest PC? Or biggest TV?

The next "cool" there, will be with the next new hit, mass adoption product. We don't have one yet, and everyone is scrambling to find it, MSFT included. Could be VR, AR, AI, IoT or foldable screen tech. VR is probably closest, but it's doubtful to have the adoption rates smartphones had!
    Last edited by Drael646464; 06-14-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    06-14-2018 08:00 AM
    People like to only mention cloud, but Satya puts a lot of focus in other areas as well, including: XBOX, Microsoft Studios (Gaming), A.I. (not only Cortana), Mixed Reality, IoT, Surface, Visual Studio, Bing, Office.

Fact is, Groove, Windows Phone & other canceled products were canceled because they were products only few used. It's ridiculous to pour money into products only die-hard fans were looking at. But it's much easier to make your own made up argument by stating that he only cares about cloud huh? Satya is placing focus on Microsoft's strongpoints. Balmer tried and tried for years to win over consumers with these products but never really succeeded. That's not on Satya.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    06-14-2018 07:19 PM
    Tell that to amazon. About as far from cool as you get. About as cool as a warehouse store, or a post office.
    Amazon is run by Bezos and the cl0wns in 'Murica. The De3p St4te has resources and connections you can't even imagine. Terrible comparison.
    06-14-2018 10:36 PM
    Some tin foil hats need adjusting.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk
    06-15-2018 08:13 AM
    Nadella was the head of cloud/azure business under Ballmer, Nadella was credited highly for the success... it was one of the main driving forces for appointment of Nadella as CEO
    He may have done well with the cloud, but cloud is not the only service Microsoft provides.
    06-15-2018 02:05 PM
    I totally get that he's been a benefit to the stockholders. But, as a consumer, I don't really care. I don't own stock. I buy their products and services.
    You may not understand, but as a fan you SHOULD care. Financial health is the foundation for high performance - look at the Phoenix Coyotes if you want to see what hundred million dollar losses does to results.

To keep the sport analogy going, in mobile Apple and Android are high performing and are getting all the wins. MS is trying to formulate a game plan to counter this - and yes, they've zigzagged along the way, but they now think they have something promising. They're keeping the "players" that fit with the plan (Surface family), and they're dumping the ones that don't - even when some appear to have potential. Sure it seems brutal but understandable when they've already wasted huge resources on things that amounted to nothing like acquiring Nokia - arguably the Carmelo Anthony of mobile?
    Today 03:55 AM
46 12