Why did Wondows 10 install destroy Office 2013?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Every few years, they bring out a new Office suite, not because the old one doesn't work, but because they need to make everyone's software obsolete. The last time they did this, I reluctantly bought Office 2013, which offered no discernable improvements but took up more disk space and wiped out my 8000 contacts in the install.

Last week, I installed "free" Windows 10, and I started getting a message that my Office 2013 wasn't registered; it demanded my product key, which I haven't seen for a couple years -- but which I obviously had, since it's been working without any such warnings for years.

So, now Office 2013 has shut down.

I called Microsoft, and they offered to sell me a new product key for a clipped-wing version of Office 2013 for a hundred bucks, or a complete Office 2016 suite for $249. I called their tech support; they pointed out that they don't keep my product key -- it's in the "Terms and Conditions" (no doubt on page 488 or something -- but what can you do, anyway?). Well, Office 2013's search feature can't find the email that has the key, so...

I have boxes for Office 2003, 2007, and 2010, but I bought 2013 online, so there is no product key for that one. There is NO WAY they're going to get me to buy another download -- I totally don't trust them. I can't access Outlook, so can't possibly find the old key, and my email hosting server keeps emails (I average 300+ per day) for only 60 days, so it's not there.

Is there a hack that can find my old key, or some other way to make Outlook 2013 work again?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you rollback to Windows 8.1 it should still be working. Then use tools available online to extract your product keys.

Note: My office also got un-activated in the upgrade. But I just clicked the activate button that Office displayed and it re-enabled it and all worked. So if yours was legit and not an overused license I'd expect it to just reactivate too.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes