I need some advice bad

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering getting a Surface 2 (RT) for Christmas since it's pretty much the perfect tablet for my needs. However, seeing all the more or less confirmed rumours about Microsoft wanting to either join Windows Phone and RT or ditch one of them (at least not have 3 OS's anymore) I'm a bit worried about the future of the Surface 2.

I have a Windows Phone 7.8 device and I'm worried if Microsoft will do it again and leave their 'early' (well, the Surface 2 is second gen) supporters behind in the dust of a huge and all-changing software update as it pretty much happened with Windows Phone 8. Having the latest software is important to me as it both adds new features, improved security and functionality and renews the experience you have with the product. I would be really sad to be left behind with W8.1RT when/if a new and seriously changing update lands.

From a technical standpoint, is there anything that suggests that this is likely to happen with the Surface 2 RT? What do you think will happen in this regard?

Also, I've been seeing reports of the Surface's surface material (yes...) corroding in a couple of months of use. I can't really tell if this is a general problem or if people just have messy hands when they use their tablets, but this is a deal breaker for me. It's important to me that my new device looks as new, shiny and fine as possible for as long time as possible. What are your experiences with this? :straight:

(Pictures scroll down:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-general-discussion/2555-oh-crap-3.html)

Should I get a Surface 2 or go for something else? I'm not really sure anymore... It has always been my impression that it's a quality product, but all of a sudden I don't know if it will corrode in 6 months and stop getting updates in 12. :-(

Thank you!

khader_moham

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
If you want an RT device get the lumia 2520. It beats the surface 2 in every aspect. Its fast, got brighter screen, nokia exclusives............
Just my opinion.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If you want an RT device get the lumia 2520. It beats the surface 2 in every aspect. Its fast, got brighter screen, nokia exclusives............
Just my opinion.

Well yes, but that doesn't really help with my questions + it doesn't have a kickstand which is one of the thing I like with the Surface. :) Furthermore it has no full size USB. It's a different device and I definitely wouldn't say it best the Surface 2 in every aspect. It beats it in some and loses in others in return, I suppose.

MarcXW

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered the Dell Venue 11 Pro? It's only marginally more expensive, and seeing as it has windows 8.1, that would mitigate your concerns about Windows RT. You can also get a keyboard if you need one. Personally I'm getting either the venue 8 pro or the 11 pro, I think RT is a bit of a waste, given how cheap and relatively "powerful" the new atom processors are compared to the last generations.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered the Dell Venue 11 Pro? It's only marginally more expensive, and seeing as it has windows 8.1, that would mitigate your concerns about Windows RT. You can also get a keyboard if you need one. Personally I'm getting either the venue 8 pro or the 11 pro, I think RT is a bit of a waste, given how cheap and relatively "powerful" the new atom processors are compared to the last generations.

"Marginally more expensive" is not so good as the Surface 2 is already 619 USD for a 32GB model without a cover where I live but I will look in to it. Alternatively I've also been looking at the Asus T100 though it's 632 USD where I live. However, I primarily need a tablet and not so much a laptop.

Do you guys think my concerns about the Surface 2 are valid?

ioaniro

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd say it depends on how long do you plan to keep the Surface before upgrading. I don't see the RT and windows phone merging earlier then end of 2015 (being very optimistic) and when it happens the new platform will probably be based on the RT so here's hoping the older RTs will get that upgrade. Also I think there was a thread somewhere here showing Microsoft's planned support for the different platforms. You could search for that thread or directly the Microsoft site. I kind of remember something about 2018 but I might be wrong.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering getting a Surface 2 (RT) for Christmas since it's pretty much the perfect tablet for my needs. However, seeing all the more or less confirmed rumours about Microsoft wanting to either join Windows Phone and RT or ditch one of them (at least not have 3 OS's anymore) I'm a bit worried about the future of the Surface 2.

I have a Windows Phone 7.8 device and I'm worried if Microsoft will do it again and leave their 'early' (well, the Surface 2 is second gen) supporters behind in the dust of a huge and all-changing software update as it pretty much happened with Windows Phone 8. Having the latest software is important to me as it both adds new features, improved security and functionality and renews the experience you have with the product. I would be really sad to be left behind with W8.1RT when/if a new and seriously changing update lands.

From a technical standpoint, is there anything that suggests that this is likely to happen with the Surface 2 RT? What do you think will happen in this regard?

Also, I've been seeing reports of the Surface's surface material (yes...) corroding in a couple of months of use. I can't really tell if this is a general problem or if people just have messy hands when they use their tablets, but this is a deal breaker for me. It's important to me that my new device looks as new, shiny and fine as possible for as long time as possible. What are your experiences with this? :straight:

(Pictures scroll down:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-general-discussion/2555-oh-crap-3.html)

Should I get a Surface 2 or go for something else? I'm not really sure anymore... It has always been my impression that it's a quality product, but all of a sudden I don't know if it will corrode in 6 months and stop getting updates in 12. :-(

Thank you!

There is a lot of confusion today about Windows. Today, there are not 3 versions of Windows, only two (Windows and Windows Phone). The Windows NT kernel runs on a hardware abstraction layer, so there is no real difference between x86/x64/arm versions. So long as they keep the hardware drivers up to date, They can always keep Windows running on ARM tablets without much effort (whether they open the desktop to third parties is another question).

When they say they are going to two versions, it likely means 1 version with different ui's based on screen size or usage. The most important aspect of this convergence is in unifying the WinRT api's so that apps can run anywhere with UI tweaks. I can't see a time where Microsoft abandons the surface lines or forces conversion to a phone UI because they are pushing the line as laptop replacements, meaning full Windows. They may have a phone like UI for the Lumia line, but that's all I can see.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
There is a lot of confusion today about Windows. Today, there are not 3 versions of Windows, only two (Windows and Windows Phone). The Windows NT kernel runs on a hardware abstraction layer, so there is no real difference between x86/x64/arm versions. So long as they keep the hardware drivers up to date, They can always keep Windows running on ARM tablets without much effort (whether they open the desktop to third parties is another question).

When they say they are going to two versions, it likely means 1 version with different ui's based on screen size or usage. The most important aspect of this convergence is in unifying the WinRT api's so that apps can run anywhere with UI tweaks. I can't see a time where Microsoft abandons the surface lines or forces conversion to a phone UI because they are pushing the line as laptop replacements, meaning full Windows. They may have a phone like UI for the Lumia line, but that's all I can see.

I see. Now, I'm not too adept in the inner workings of software design, but would you say that from a technical point of view it would seem unlikely that Microsoft leaves their RT devices behind indeed because the software is already so unified that updating one part is not much different from updating an other..? If you understand what I mean.

Microsoft did what they did with Windows Phone 8 due to some necessary changes in the software that would not be compatible with WP7.5 devices. I realize that we are guessing here and have nothing concrete what so ever, but you know more about the technical stuff than I do. Is it likely that the same that happened to Windows Phone 7.5 will also happen to the Surface 2 8.1 RT from a technical standpoint?

Thanks!

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Let's put it this way, the internals of the Surface 2 and Lumia 2520 are essentially the same as all the WP8 devices, so when they do unify everything there is no reason for them to be left behind.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's put it this way, the internals of the Surface 2 and Lumia 2520 are essentially the same as all the WP8 devices, so when they do unify everything there is no reason for them to be left behind.

That was exactly what I needed to hear. This unification is not going to happen any time soon so it's not to know what happens in a couple of years, but I'm glad to hear that with all the rumours that's going on, if a unification were to happen tomorrow the current RT devices would be able to run this new mobile Windows OS at least based on what we know about the internals of the devices and the software.

Does this also mean that a modern Windows Phone technically would be able to run Windows 8.1 RT? :p And a RT device would be able to run Windows Phone 8? lulz

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
That was exactly what I needed to hear. This unification is not going to happen any time soon so it's not to know what happens in a couple of years, but I'm glad to hear that with all the rumours that's going on, if a unification were to happen tomorrow the current RT devices would be able to run this new mobile Windows OS at least based on what we know about the internals of the devices and the software.

Does this also mean that a modern Windows Phone technically would be able to run Windows 8.1 RT? :p And a RT device would be able to run Windows Phone 8? lulz

Yes, current WP8 devices could easily run Windows RT

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I think (1) the Surface (running RT) is going to not only be around, but will gain increasing traction in the market by mid-to-late next year (especially when Office Gemini is released) and when the Win 8 Phone and the MS Store (RT) merge; (2) the images and complaints that you have been seeing and reading about cosmetic blemishes are a very small number. For example, I have been using a Surface RT since March (or April) this year and now I use the Surface 2. While I have not and do not abuse the devices, I use them hard - consistently for over 10 hours a day - both as a tablet and as a laptop. Neither of the devices have shown any signs of cosmetic degradation; (3) Firmware updates have improved the performance of both the RT and the Surface 2 considerably. Well, aside from the inherent limitations of the Tegra3 SoC, the RT performs much smoother than what it did when I originally bought it. And, the Surface 2 has been a sheer pleasure to use. Recent firmware updates seem to have refined the WiFi issues, Battery issues, Sound/ Volume issues. I expect to see further refinements to both the devices in the coming months.

So, while I am no one to convince you of the merits of buying the Surface 2, I can say - from personal experience - that the device is one which serves my purposes very well and, personally, it has been and continues to be a pleasure to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon