How to disable adaptative brighness/contrast [NOT the light sensor thing :-)]

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
[Edit: this is a question, not a solution :)]

Hi everyone.

I just bought a Surface 2 and I noticed that the screen brigthness changes automatically according to the content on the screen (NOT the light sensor, that's another thing. Also, the "adaptative brighness" in the power options is related to the light sensor, no this issue I have). For example, if a big tile changes to white color (e.g. the news tile, biggest size, shows a foto of snow) the whole screen increases brightness. If it shows black color,the wholes screen will reduce the brigtness. It is not a huge change but cleary visible, and annoying. It makes the screen feel "unestable" and cheap.

I had the same "feature" in my laptop, but I could dissable it with one screen power saving option in the "intel graphics control panel". So I guess this must be an issue/feature of the Nvidia Tegra driver.

I already installed all the updates and firmwares.

?Any idea how to solve this? Thanks.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about surface (don't have yet ) but I have attached my pc to a 40inch sony Bravia TV via hdmi cable. The tv has auto brightness sensor (ambient light ) I have disabled it since it keeps on increasing the brightness according to the light I have in the room. But whenever I play a video,game it changes the color to very bright and as soon as I close them it become normal. And yes on my tv it says your screen settings have been changed. This never happened when I was using a normal 13inch monitor with VGA cables attached.

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think you issue has no relationship with mine, but thanks for the reply, and I hope you can fix your problem too :).

Probably not this, but remember that most TVs have independent image settings (brightness,color saturation, etc) for every input (TV, hdmi1, hdmi2, USB playback..). You have to adjust the settings in each of them.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey there. This is an issue with actually all Surfaces (as far as I know). If you have your brightness set to a low level (which I have almost all the time), than, sadly, you Surface will automaticly "autocorrect" the brightness depending on the screen content. There are several threads dealing with this, so you can find more information there. There are also several videos showing this issue. So I think we have to wait for MS to finally get rid of this bug...

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey there. This is an issue with actually all Surfaces (as far as I know). If you have your brightness set to a low level (which I have almost all the time), than, sadly, you Surface will automaticly "autocorrect" the brightness depending on the screen content. There are several threads dealing with this, so you can find more information there. There are also several videos showing this issue. So I think we have to wait for MS to finally get rid of this bug...

Sad news, as don't think MS plans to fix this (it seems it has been happening since Surface RT), but thanks! :smile:

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Could this issue be solved by the June 2014 firmware? At least it is less apparent to me, or maybe it is just some placebo effect from the new drivers, haha. What do you people think? Better or the same? :)

Last edited:

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Could this issue be solved by the June 2014 firmware? At least it is less apparent to me, or maybe it is just some placebo effect from the new drivers, haha. What do you people think? Better or the same? :)

Lol bump xD good question though. Is your brightness set to low all the time? I have mine at about 50%, and it never does it. I had it exchanged once (I wanted more space hehe), and the old one did do it a lot. But I had the auto brightness on and the contrast at low anyways.

So again. Did you have your brightness low? (I ask because I want to avoid it lol)

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Lol bump xD good question though. Is your brightness set to low all the time? I have mine at about 50%, and it never does it. I had it exchanged once (I wanted more space hehe), and the old one did do it a lot. But I had the auto brightness on and the contrast at low anyways.

So again. Did you have your brightness low? (I ask because I want to avoid it lol)

Yes, I usually use automatic brightness at a low level (around 25%). I don't like burning my eyes at night , haha.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I usually use automatic brightness at a low level (around 25%). I don't like burning my eyes at night , haha.

that's fair. It hurts so much in the mornings.. Waking up, and unfolding the type cover and revealing that brightness... Lol.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I think this is Windows 8 in general. It happens on my Asus laptop and Dell venue 8 pro tablet, and it happens on my brothers Surface 2 as well, also the living room pc, but not on the home theatre.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys saying that despite turning off the adaptive brightness settings in PC Settings your Surface 2 (especially at low brightness levels) still does its adaptive thing?

The brightness on my Surface 2 is set at about 40% and I just turned off the adaptive brightness setting via PC Settings and the adaptive thing seems to have stopped. I'll keep checking under different conditions and will revert.

OR

Is this what you folks are referring to? See here: Surface RT Dynamic Contrast - Microsoft Community

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys saying that despite turning off the adaptive brightness settings in PC Settings your Surface 2 (especially at low brightness levels) still does its adaptive thing?

The brightness on my Surface 2 is set at about 40% and I just turned off the adaptive brightness setting via PC Settings and the adaptive thing seems to have stopped. I'll keep checking under different conditions and will revert.

OR

Is this what you folks are referring to? See here: Surface RT Dynamic Contrast - Microsoft Community

The second one :)

Daniel89jr

Jan 22, 2019
Visit site
Sounds like the issue is the Adaptive Contrast setting and I think I found an alternative resolution to this that does not require changing anything in the registry for Windows 10!
1. I am using a Surface Pro 6: Right click on your desktop and select "Display Settings"
2. Select "Graphics settings"
3. Set whatever apps you don't want the adaptive contrast to effect as "High Performance" and BANG!

I currently only have Google Chrome and Adobe Lightroom and have no longer had the issue at all within these apps. At the moment these are the only apps I do not want the adaptive contrast to affect. I don't mind it on everything else at the moment. Hope this helps, best!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3