Finding toast notifications

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Various apps, Bing News, FB, etc. will give you toast notifications and you only see them if you are near your Surface 2. Is there somewhere I can go to view these notifications that I missed throughout the day?

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Nope, you have to make sure you have the live tile pinned to update with a number/flip to the notification... Microsoft obviously decided this was a better design philosophy than a notification center. I like it, means you don't have to flick to another screen to check things and I can ignore stuff I don't need that's not pinned.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Various apps, Bing News, FB, etc. will give you toast notifications and you only see them if you are near your Surface 2. Is there somewhere I can go to view these notifications that I missed throughout the day?

Nope, not yet, it's coming though. Excellent question, probably the only thing about WP that I feel is really lacking. But, we just have to wait, and remember that this is still a young OS, not like iOS which, if you remember, had way more features missing when it was young.

We'll get there, I have no doubt.

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I guess the idea of the Modern UI is that you pin the stuff you really care about and consequently you will see the notifications on the tile. On the other hand, if you don't care enough about an app to pin it, you won't be very likely to desire notifications from that particular app...

Personally I don't need a notification center but I totally understand why other people might want to have one.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess the idea of the Modern UI is that you pin the stuff you really care about and consequently you will see the notifications on the tile. On the other hand, if you don't care enough about an app to pin it, you won't be very likely to desire notifications from that particular app...

Personally I don't need a notification center but I totally understand why other people might want to have one.

Tile notifications and toast notifications are entirely different.

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I would say about 95% of the toasts I get are also live tile updated. Yes they are different, but microsofts plan appeared to be that if you missed your toast, itll be on the tile (ie messaging). Its always worked fine for me but I guess if youre a heavy social user or get a heck of a lot of notifications, then a center would be useful...

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I would say about 95% of the toasts I get are also live tile updated. Yes they are different, but microsofts plan appeared to be that if you missed your toast, itll be on the tile (ie messaging). Its always worked fine for me but I guess if youre a heavy social user or get a heck of a lot of notifications, then a center would be useful...

It will be useful, I just hope they implement it smartly within the modern UI.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Personally (and the reason I started the thread) I noticed a toast notification from my Bing News surrounding some breaking news. At the time I didn't know the Bing News app gave toast notification and was curious on what other breaking news alerts I might have missed. I couldn't care less about missed FB notifications I missed.

tertitten74

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
On the RT there are only 14 or 15 (cant remember how may) apps you can allow to run in the background (for tile update support)
If you are like me and a heavy user of apps, and love the tile thing it can be a bit annoing to always have to prioritize what apps to allow to run in the background.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon