Wish list for Surface 3

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Keeping in mind that Microsoft has said Surface is designed to show off the best of the company's design skills as well as its services, here is what I'd like to see this fall in Surface 3. I've carried my Surface 2 every day since launch and, unlike the first generation unit, no nagging design or service issues have developed to take the pleasure out of using it. It is a wonderful device. But, that said, we expect tech devices to make improvements each year and here is what I'd like to see. I didn't include the addition of LTE because we've already been told that it's coming. These are in my order of importance:

1. Keep everything the Surface 2 currently offers. The current package of a great device and services (Office, SkyDrive, Skype) is outstanding.
2. Beef up the screen pixel density.The reason to do this is basically because everyone expects it.
3. Add a digitizer. Whether WaCom or something else. Surface 2 users among my colleagues want to take notes via pen in One Note.
4. Improve the audio output more and add a one year Xbox Music pass as a service.
5. Make it lighter and thinner. I think there is still room to squeeze while keeping the full size USB port with some reconfiguration. Again, because everyone expects it.
6. Add a 128GB model

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Keeping in mind that Microsoft has said Surface is designed to show off the best of the company's design skills as well as its services, here is what I'd like to see this fall in Surface 3. I've carried my Surface 2 every day since launch and, unlike the first generation unit, no nagging design or service issues have developed to take the pleasure out of using it. It is a wonderful device. But, that said, we expect tech devices to make improvements each year and here is what I'd like to see. I didn't include the addition of LTE because we've already been told that it's coming. These are in my order of importance:

1. Keep everything the Surface 2 currently offers. The current package of a great device and services (Office, SkyDrive, Skype) is outstanding.
2. Beef up the screen pixel density.The reason to do this is basically because everyone expects it.
3. Add a digitizer. Whether WaCom or something else. Surface 2 users among my colleagues want to take notes via pen in One Note.
4. Improve the audio output more and add a one year Xbox Music pass as a service.
5. Make it lighter and thinner. I think there is still room to squeeze while keeping the full size USB port with some reconfiguration. Again, because everyone expects it.
6. Add a 128GB model
number 5 makes me laugh a little ....I think of apple then anything is thinner and lighter :grin: but I agree with your points :cool:

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I do agree, I would add perhaps adopt the screen tech from the Lumia 2520, if possible improve battery life too.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

6. Add a 128GB model

The only improvement I'd like to see is additional USB slots. One isn't enough for me.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
  1. Actually come into existence (don't kill off the ARM-based Surface devices)
  2. Higher build quality than the Surface 2
  3. Higher resolution/quality capacitive touch sensor (stylus use)

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The thing is that these things everyone is pitching for use more battery. I would mainly wish for it to have an even better battery. It's what improves most the experience of use with a portable device.

I don't mind the resolution, and though performance improvements are always welcome, I prefer that they are not at the expense of battery life.

Also, IMHO "because everyone expects it" is a poor reason to upgrade devices and it's a bit of Apple's device "evolution" mentality. As in "it has to be lighter, thinner and with more resolution, but otherwise exactly the same".

Full HDMI port would be nice, but then again it's not essential.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Agree with the better speakers comment. Skype with a loud toddler is difficult, since you can't hear the people on the other end of the call.

I'd also like it if the dang thing would quit freezing up and requiring a restart about 1/3 of the time that I open it (and it seems to occur most frequently when I haven't used it in hours).

Disagree with the screen resolution. Not sure why it would be needed with such a small screen. I'd rather have the longer battery life.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
This is for the Surface world in general.

Surface 3 should be the entry level full Windows 8.x tablet-PC. I want it powered by a Core i3 and equipped with an active digitizer. At $499 this would be a solid device to push to the mainstream market against not only the iPad, but potentially even the MacBook Air. LTE should be an option.

Surface Pro should have more CPU (Core i5/i7) and RAM (4GB/8GB/12GB) options.

Surface 'Slate' should be a pure Windows RT/Metro device (no desktop). I'm really banking on Windows Phone apps and games running on Windows/RT. At $299 (starting) this could be a solid 8-inch entry-level offering. Ideally, we'd see it with an active digitizer as well as option for LTE,

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
I really like my Surface 2, but I would never complain about it being lighter. My iPad Air is the perfect weight for its size, in my opinion. Love the Touch 2 Keyboard, and the 2 position stand. I even love the color. Love the UI.

Pen support would be great, but that would probably mean an x86 processor (can't see anyone working too hard to port drivers for one device).

Would also like to see a different aspect ratio, maybe not 4:3, but something closer to that, something wouldn't feel so ridiculous in portrait mode.

Lose the desktop completely.

Allow drawing in OneNote!!!!!!!

Dan Strong1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've just upgraded to 2 from Surface RT. Probably the best upgrade to a device ive ever done. As a device I can think of nothing for an upgrade to hardware. Maybe a second USB slot but not fussed really. The resolution is perfect for me.

I would say battery life is my main thing now id like to see from the next one, and of course more speed. The ssd read speed seems quite low, so make that faster for apps launching. Maybe 802.11ac.

Most things i want are Windows updates really, not really problems with the Surface.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't want any Surface 3, hardware-wise Surface 2 RT is perfect for me.
Now all I need is from software side.
It's Windows 8.2 RT or Windows 9 RT that totally kills the old Desktop side of things, so:

Metro Office Suite;
All important settings in Settings Charms and all the "geeks" stuff left behind in background with no way to modify it;
More Optimization for the Tablet experience -> Faster Performance, more Unity, less Clutter.

What I need is also a big growth of the entire Windows Store ecosystem.
I'd really like to see a total fusion between Windows Phone and Windows RT, taking the best of both worlds, with much more and much better apps variety, and all inside my Surface 2.

I can't imagine asking more right now :smile:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll add one more thing: I want either additional browsers (preference for Firefox) for plugin support OR IE (metro and desktop) should allow for plugin. I also want MS to support an authentic academic reference software/ app!!!!!!!

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It's Windows 8.2 RT or Windows 9 RT that totally kills the old Desktop side of things, so

Why do you want the desktop side to be killed? I use it very often and i have no desire to switch to a touch office for productivity, because with mouse/keyboard nothing is better than desktop office.
There is nothing wrong with having touch office in addition, but please leave the choice to the user and do not wish for the desktop to be removed. All things taken into account, it is certain that touch office will be significantly dumbed down when it eventually appears.
In addition there are more useful tools associated to the desktop as for instance PowerShell, all the developer tools support for IE inclusive java script profiling etc.

NickJC

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
For the Surface 3 I would like to see it improve in apps. Is cross coding suppose to improve between Windows 8.1 Update 1 and Windows Phone 8.1? I would also like to see Metro/Modern UI office applications, control panel and file explorer. I think Windows RT should drop the desktop if everything in converted to the new design language.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon