Wish list for Surface 3

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see the touch and type keyboards to have a hinge, or something, that can attach to the surface pro and make it more of a laptop format, so not requiring the kickstand for use on the knees.

I just think the clamshell format is just so much more useful. I'm finding that i use the surface to type on a desk a lot more.

Otherwise in rather happy. Some streamlining of the os, easier access to the wifi settings and i am good to go! ;)

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd really like to see a total fusion between Windows Phone and Windows RT, taking the best of both worlds, with much more and much better apps variety, and all inside my Surface 2.

Playing devils advocate i say, be careful what you wish. Currently Windows RT is Windows compiled for ARM. So by this very fact the development of features goes in lockstep with Windows. This means as soon as a new feature is implemented, it is readily available for RT, as it uses the same sources. For this reason even the preview version of Windows RT8.1 was available the same day as the Windows 8.1 preview matching its brother feature by feature.
If you are trying to couple Windows RT sources to Windows Phone sources to any larger extend, you immediatly loose the property described above. In addition you make RT dependent on Windows Phone development cylcle, while Windows development runs ahead. In addition in between Windows and Windows Phone you open up a third (and separate) development branch, which would put a huge maintenance effort on Microsoft.

I assume what you really want is integrating the Windows Phone runtime environment into Windows, such that you gain app compatibility. A fusion like you describe it above is certainly the worst thing that could happen. There is not a single feature Windows (RT) would gain from fusion except app compatibility, which can be achieved much more conveniently by unifiying the runtime environment (and store), while still keeping RT as the ARM compiled build of Windows.

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I believe Firefox is working on a metro app. On desktop and Pro devices, if you are using Aurora channel of Firefox, it has an impressive metro mode. I assume their metro app will be comparable to that.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunalty it seems that MS has restricted the Windows Store, so that you can't download another browser to Win RT. At least that's what Mozilla writes on their Aurora page! :(

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
  1. Actually come into existence (don't kill off the ARM-based Surface devices)
  2. Higher build quality than the Surface 2
  3. Higher resolution/quality capacitive touch sensor (stylus use)

Higher build quality??? Jeez you just have some REALLY high standards haha. I think it has the best build and design of any tablet.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Higher build quality??? Jeez you just have some REALLY high standards haha. I think it has the best build and design of any tablet.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry
I don't have really high standards. But based on conversations that I've had with people and reports in various forum, the Surface 2 has a lower build quality than the Surface RT. Loose volume rocker buttons, peeling paint, and other manufacturing defects appear to be plaguing the Surface 2 noticeably more than the Surface RT.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't have really high standards. But based on conversations that I've had with people and reports in various forum, the Surface 2 has a lower build quality than the Surface RT. Loose volume rocker buttons, peeling paint, and other manufacturing defects appear to be plaguing the Surface 2 noticeably more than the Surface RT.

My personal experience of handling both - extensively - suggests that there is no appreciable difference between the two - I get to compare both everyday as I have the Surface 2 and my partner has the RT. I cannot complain of any of the issues that you mention. That said, I have heard of others complaining of the same/ similar things that you mention on both machines.

aldovelco

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently using a Surface RT for school and the only thing a Surface 3 would need is the Wacom digitizer since speed issues were already addressed on the Surface 2

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got no complaints on build quality, the thing is built like a rock. The only thing that gets annoying is the NVIDIA drivers not responding...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon