04-02-2015 09:20 PM
37 12
tools
    MS said windows 10 will work on ALL device and now it will not work on there own tablet... WITH... this is a very poor decision on their part...

I really like my surface 2, the size is good, the 16:9 aspect ratio is the best for tv show and games... but it will be stock on windows 8.1 or 8.2 maybe...

this don't make any sense to me...

I hope they change their mind or that info was wrong... but wood be good to have a real and official answer from MS...
    Dk92 likes this.
    01-22-2015 02:33 PM
    Can you please provide the link where it is stated that the surface 2 (and) RT do not get windows 10 at all?

And see below post where it is explained excellent by ajst222
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask...0-upgrade.html
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-22-2015 at 07:08 PM.
    01-22-2015 02:41 PM
    01-22-2015 04:21 PM
    There is no Windows 8.2. Surface will get Windows 10 with probably some features removed.
    01-22-2015 08:08 PM
    Paul Thurrott tweeted today Surface 2 will not get the update
    01-22-2015 09:00 PM
    Paul Thurrott tweeted today Surface 2 will not get the update
    Yet Microsoft said they were working on one.
    01-22-2015 09:08 PM
    They said they working working in an update, they didn't say they were working on Windows 10 for RT
    a5cent likes this.
    01-22-2015 09:44 PM
    Microsoft later said in a statement provided to CNET that "Surface Pro 3 (and the entire Surface Pro lineup) will update to Windows 10. We are working on an update for [the Windows RT version of] Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10

Take that as you will. They are getting an update with Win10 features.

Keep in mind, WinRT 8.1 currently only has "some" of the features of Win 8.1. It's not really a damning statement.
    Grodelj and xandros9 like this.
    01-22-2015 09:54 PM
    Microsoft later said in a statement provided to CNET that "Surface Pro 3 (and the entire Surface Pro lineup) will update to Windows 10. We are working on an update for [the Windows RT version of] Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10

Take that as you will. They are getting an update with Win10 features.

Keep in mind, WinRT 8.1 currently only has "some" of the features of Win 8.1. It's not really a damning statement.
    I think what they mean by 'it will have some of the functionality of Windows 10' is that it's going to be an upgrade like windows phone 7.5 to Windows Phone 7.8.

It seems if you are a Microsoft customer you have to constantly worry about being left out in the cold.
    01-23-2015 05:59 AM
    This doesn't really bother me. In it's present form, my Surface 2 is brilliant. It does what I need it to do (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place).

​Therefore, any features they add will be a bonus.

​Of course, it's always nice to have the latest greatest OS but it'll still work and integrate just fine.

​I'll keep it until the battery dies.
    Harrie-S, a5cent, calfee20 and 1 others like this.
    01-23-2015 06:02 AM
    This doesn't really bother me. In it's present form, my Surface 2 is brilliant. It does what I need it to do (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place).

​Therefore, any features they add will be a bonus.

​Of course, it's always nice to have the latest greatest OS but it'll still work and integrate just fine.

​I'll keep it until the battery dies.

I totally agree with you.
    01-23-2015 06:26 AM
    One small problem, though: you won't get any new apps or app updates for it, once Windows 10 is out...
    01-23-2015 08:21 AM
    I can't understand why they just don't come out and fully explain what they will do for the Surface 2 instead of being vague. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating using Microsoft products. Either way, I was planning on getting a Surface Pro 3 soon but this has me thinking I might want to avoid any Microsoft hardware going forward. Now I'm thinking of going the Lenovo Yoga route instead. In the end, the Surface 2 is just a tablet for me, although since my laptop died it has been quite a lifesaver as a 2-in-1 device.
    01-23-2015 08:51 AM
    I can't understand why they just don't come out and fully explain what they will do for the Surface 2 instead of being vague. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating using Microsoft products. Either way, I was planning on getting a Surface Pro 3 soon but this has me thinking I might want to avoid any Microsoft hardware going forward. Now I'm thinking of going the Lenovo Yoga route instead. In the end, the Surface 2 is just a tablet for me, although since my laptop died it has been quite a lifesaver as a 2-in-1 device.
    Maybe they're not even sure what to do with Arm based processors at the moment, since all OEMs have stopped making them. So yeah, you and I both might have gotten screwed a bit, but I didn't intend to replace anything with it and the Surface Rt does everything I want it to.

The Surface Pro though is made to replace a laptop, and it is a full computer. So different hardware and different importance.
    01-23-2015 09:07 AM
    Well, I purchased a new Surface 2 in December because Microsoft said that any device on Windows 8.1 will get upgraded to Windows 10. Now they say Surface 2 will not get the upgrade. If this is indeed how it plays out, I will for the first time since well before Windows 95 release no longer be a Microsoft customer. I have been one of their biggest proponents but if they indeed leave my new tablet out in the cold, I'm done. It's not a matter of if the device in it's current state is ok. The problem is that it is now a DEAD OS and therefore nobody will be developing new applications for it. Really disappointing.
    01-26-2015 09:36 PM
    really disappointing that Microsoft has taken this stance. I purchased a brand new Surface 2 a month ago with the understanding that it would receive the update to Windows 10. Now I'm stuck with a paper weight that no software developer will be touching. Really unlike Microsoft. Guess it's the new Microsoft.
    01-26-2015 09:37 PM
    Why wouldn't this get Windows 10? Windows 10 works with ARM too. Could get something like Windows 10 on phones.
    01-26-2015 10:03 PM
    A paperweight? That's a bit of hyperbole, don't you think? A paperweight sits on your desk and does nothing. A Surface 2 does next year what it does today. Was it a paperweight when you purchased it?

For the record, I'm using my Surface RT. And I will continue to until I replace it with a newer model or it dies.
    xandros9 and a5cent like this.
    01-26-2015 10:17 PM
    Why wouldn't this get Windows 10? Windows 10 works with ARM too. Could get something like Windows 10 on phones.

Because Win 10 for arm is going to be wp10 and wp10 doesn't have desktop, which is something surface 2 would need.
    a5cent likes this.
    01-26-2015 11:05 PM
    It's probably due to the use of the NVIDIA chips, everything else arm on windows is running on Qualcomm. I hope the 2 still gets a sizable update, the Tegra 4 is still quite capable.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    01-27-2015 05:36 PM
    Will Surface 2s stop working the day Windows 10 gets released? No, they will work just as they do now. Will there be W10 features missing? Most assuredly. The one thing that has not been addressed is whether future Store apps have backward compatibility with present devices like our Surfaces or even Windows 8 computers that don't get upgraded.

WinMo phones and PDAs still work, have access to the internet, have push email and some apps. WP7 phones still work as they did the day they were bought. Why all the "sky is falling" attitudes?
    a5cent and negative1ne like this.
    01-27-2015 07:13 PM
    Because Win 10 for arm is going to be wp10 and wp10 doesn't have desktop, which is something surface 2 would need.
    Thats just an abitrary decision. Nothing would stop them from offering Window 10 for ARM (not the dumbed down wp version) if they wanted too.
    Infact Microsoft is even preparing Windows Server for ARM.

But lets see what the update brings. It most likely will be infact a Windows 10 version.
    01-27-2015 08:13 PM
    Not so sure I even want 10 after what I've seen from these Windows and Windows Phone previews. Damn. I hope they are holding a LOT back.
    02-12-2015 05:18 PM
    well lets hope its a misunderstanding and nothing more, that he wanted to clarify its a limited w10 version, just like 8.1 for rt is limited in comparison to pro, and not that they are giving a mercy update like the wp 7.8 one, this time it doesn't make sense, rt tablets have the same hardware as lumia 1520 and even 520 is getting w10 for "ARM" which accounts as RT to me, maybe it wont have "hey cortana" or some minor feature like that, but at the end, they have to make a w10 for RT OS, even if they don't sell that much, there's people like us who just want a big touchscreen with a web browser and media players, no fans no heat no ****ty battery life and no x86 aberrations, they cant address that need with a cheap atom x86 tablet focused on being a crappy 10" laptop that fails at being both a tablet and laptop, and a proper high end one like the pro 3 again, is not for everyone
    02-15-2015 06:38 PM
    WinMo phones and PDAs still work, have access to the internet, have push email and some apps. WP7 phones still work as they did the day they were bought. Why all the "sky is falling" attitudes?
    WP7 phones can't use Skype anymore, and almost no apps appear anymore.
    02-21-2015 09:28 AM
37 12