Surface Book owners: Are you upgrading to the Surface Book 2?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Considering that the Surface Book 2 now has a USB-C port, will you be upgrading?

If so, please share why? If not, why not?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm tempted. Loving my current SB (i7, dGPU, non performance base) but want bit more graphics power, screen size, and tablet battery. This one seems to improve everything i wanted. I like the hinge, and they improved that too. Looks like pen is no longer included.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I bet there will be a flood of used SB and SB-perf base on the used marked for a much more economical prices once the SB2 hits the streets. The performance increase is SO huge.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
No, my original Book is still running perfectly fine. Couldn't care less about type-c and no need for extra power as I don't game anymore and don't do anything except for browsing. Still love my original Book.

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
My OG SB i1/8GB/dGPU works well enough for me, but I'd LOVE the performance bump of a 1050 as opposed to the hamstrung ~940 or so.

Has it been confirmed or denied that the new base would work with OG SBs? If that's the case I might be able to talk my dad into getting one then switching the bases on him :evil:

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
My OG SB i1/8GB/dGPU works well enough for me, but I'd LOVE the performance bump of a 1050 as opposed to the hamstrung ~940 or so.

Has it been confirmed or denied that the new base would work with OG SBs? If that's the case I might be able to talk my dad into getting one then switching the bases on him :evil:
They are completely different physical sizes. Have no idea how that would possibly work.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I seem to remember reading that the SB2 base is definitely NOT compatible with the OG SBs. I'd think that the changes to the locking mechanism alone would likely render them incompatible.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
The USB-C port by itself wouldn't drive my decision one way or the other. What is of interest here is the enormous power of the top end 15-inch model. It seems to me that the larger Book 2 fills the void between the original Book (or Book with power base) and the Studio. The 15-inch book is not too large to take out in the world and set up as an artist's canvas at a low angle; the Studio can't be used easily as anything other than a fixed-position device. The smaller Book doesn't have a large enough screen for expansive artistic efforts, and the Surface Laptop won't bend in any way that lets it be used creatively in a tablet/clipboard configuration.

I won't upgrade from my PB Book to the 15-inch Book 2, but I may add a Book 2 to the stable just because it fills a void that no other Surface device touches.

the_craze

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Got the original Surface Book in Jan (i7/256/dGPU) and still love it. Editing graphics, sketching, coding, and watching movies is still fast as hell. Plus the price was the lowest I've ever seen for an i7 from launch to now. It's always nice to have more but no need to spend an extra $2K - $3K when what I have is still great

MatsuDano

May 13, 2013
Visit site
The 13.5” SB2 looks to be identical in dimensions, but as someone else said it looks like the locking mechanisms aren’t compatible.

Jason Green9

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Absolutely NOT. I spent $2500 on the first one that is RIFE with issues thanks to Microsoft's own updates. My keyboard randomly shuts off and won't respond, my driver's keep getting "misplaced", even when I globally set the dgpu to handle a program, when I launch said program it STILL uses the CPU graphical unit and heats my CPU up to 90C , my settings don't get saved from boot to boot, entire programs disappear every time I reboot and constantly have to reinstall them. Oh and I've spent tens of hours on the phone with support. They have tried every "fix" and offered to send me some crappy refurbished model a hundred times. Their creator updates screwed up my hardware and refuse to take responsibility for it. Their main purpose is to keep you in the refurbished loop getting crappy unit after crappy unit until your warranty is up, then it's "looks like it's time to buy another brand new laptop". No thanks. This one didn't even last 4 years. I will NEVER buy another Surface laptop.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Considering that the Surface Book 2 now has a USB-C port, will you be upgrading?

Cost for one. My work provided mine but I just can ask for another one so soon since this one is working, but still has "hot bag" and "wake up to dead battery" sleep problems. I'd love for that to be gone.

Artdesignandphoto

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site

The book 2 still has a ram restriction of 16gb. Which for everyday Office use is more than enough. But the surface book 2 is not aimed at office users, it's being market to artist/designers who most use Adobe software. Adobe is ram hungry and to run Photoshop or illustrator with no hang ups you need 32gb. This is an issue pro designers are having with the Mac book pro now. The GPU is optional. No one currently even uses all 6gbs of v ram. For 4k you just need 4 unless you are working on 8k which you wouldn't be using a surface book anyways. Till there's a 32gb option, I'll make due with what I currently have.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
The book 2 still has a ram restriction of 16gb. Which for everyday Office use is more than enough. But the surface book 2 is not aimed at office users, it's being market to artist/designers who most use Adobe software. Adobe is ram hungry and to run Photoshop or illustrator with no hang ups you need 32gb. This is an issue pro designers are having with the Mac book pro now. The GPU is optional. No one currently even uses all 6gbs of v ram. For 4k you just need 4 unless you are working on 8k which you wouldn't be using a surface book anyways. Till there's a 32gb option, I'll make due with what I currently have.

That's a good point. For those people, the Dell XPS 15 is probably a better option (or a better apples-to-apples comparison, no pun intended) if you want to go Windows.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Seriously, Microsoft has to have that worked out by now, don't they? No Skylake issues they can point any fingers at...

It may be in the hinge...it seems like if I close my lid and let it sleep when on a tabletop, it won't happen, especially once it has gone into "connected standby." If I close it and and before it is in standby, I move it or put in bag, it wakes up and runs until the battery dies.

Wendy Hamilton1

Sep 15, 2017
Visit site
Looked and read an article yesterday on the new Surface. No price attached, but thought that is what I would like 15", after reading price today I guess I won't be getting one. Oh well in my next life maybe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3