Surface Book with new Surface Dock

BenF

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, I have an update, or a workaround ...

I have dual 4K monitors working at full resolution and at 60 Hz. How? I only have one plugged in to the dock. The other can't be plugged directly into the DP port on the SB as many have noted. So, I am using a USB -> HDMI adapter and the second monitor is connected using that. Yes, that does defeat the point of the Dock having two video ports, but for now, it's the best option I have.

--- Ben

Last edited:

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
So, I am using a HSB -> HDMI adapter and the second monitor is connected using that. Yes, that does defeat the point of the Dock having two video ports, but for now, it's the best option I have.

Very interesting. When you say "HSB to HDMI" do I assume correctly that you mean USB to HDMI? Do any USB to DisplayPort adapters exist? To my knowledge, most 4K monitors use DisplayPort 1.2 and only televisions have HDMI 2.0.

BenF

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Yep. typo, fixed.

I could not find a USB Type 3 to DP adapter, only USB Type C to DP, so I went USB to HDMI. And yes, my Dell 4K monitor does indeed have an HDMI port.

--- Ben

Brian Madsen1

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Wanted to Share this, since I was having same issue. Surface Book with dGPU, Microsoft Dock, 2 Microsoft Mini Display to VGA adapters feeding 2 PLANO 1920x1080 monitors.
Only One monitor would work at one time, I tried every combination of cable swapping in troubleshooting, If I unplugged the working monitor from dock, other monitor would immediately activate. Plug it back in, turn off the active one and activate the one I just plugged in. Very frustrated and reading a lot.
When I happened into Display Settings / Advanced display settings and looked at the multiple displays options, there was an option to "Duplicate desktop on 2/3" Odd since the setting only showed display 1 (surface Book) and 2 (the one working monitor). I applied this setting and wala, both monitors came to life, however useless as they were just mirrors.
Then checked display options again, and there was a new option "Extend desktop on 2/3". This option was not there before, but applied it and now both monitors are active and extended desktop as I wanted. Settings hold when unplugging the dock and reconnecting so far. No Idea why MS can't get this right out of the box. This is all their stuff, so no 3rd party excuses.
Hope this helps

Bluerain

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Are both monitors 4k and running at 60Hz ?

Thanks

Wanted to Share this, since I was having same issue. Surface Book with dGPU, Microsoft Dock, 2 Microsoft Mini Display to VGA adapters feeding 2 PLANO 1920x1080 monitors.
Only One monitor would work at one time, I tried every combination of cable swapping in troubleshooting, If I unplugged the working monitor from dock, other monitor would immediately activate. Plug it back in, turn off the active one and activate the one I just plugged in. Very frustrated and reading a lot.
When I happened into Display Settings / Advanced display settings and looked at the multiple displays options, there was an option to "Duplicate desktop on 2/3" Odd since the setting only showed display 1 (surface Book) and 2 (the one working monitor). I applied this setting and wala, both monitors came to life, however useless as they were just mirrors.
Then checked display options again, and there was a new option "Extend desktop on 2/3". This option was not there before, but applied it and now both monitors are active and extended desktop as I wanted. Settings hold when unplugging the dock and reconnecting so far. No Idea why MS can't get this right out of the box. This is all their stuff, so no 3rd party excuses.
Hope this helps

BenF

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Correct, but lousy refresh rates, especially when using video, is not what anyone would consider "working". Resorting to subpar performance is a workaround, not a solution.

--- Ben

Olen Ronning

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I understand that running one monitor off of the dock and one off of the built-in display port will work to drive two 4k monitors at 60hz from a Surface Pro.

BUT...

Has anyone got this to work with their Surface Book?

I have the Surface Book core i7 with dGPU base (heck, it's got *two* gpus!)

Olen Ronning

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, I have an update, or a workaround ...

I have dual 4K monitors working at full resolution and at 60 Hz. How? I only have one plugged in to the dock. The other can't be plugged directly into the DP port on the SB as many have noted. So, I am using a USB -> HDMI adapter and the second monitor is connected using that. Yes, that does defeat the point of the Dock having two video ports, but for now, it's the best option I have.

--- Ben

Which USB>HDMI adapter did you get? I"ve never seen one that does 4k at 60hz.

crazycanucks1977

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
So I have finally got my flickering issue resolved when hooking up a couple of LG IPS monitors to the Surface Dock. Somedays the flickering would happen sporadically, and other days it was non stop to the point of just turning the laptop off and not using it. I tried a couple of different cables, like HDMI to mDP and a DVI to mDP.
Both cables on both monitors in any combination connecting to the dock would produce the flickering (different models of the LG IPS btw) I bought these cables from Amazon today https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3628886 and happy to report no flickering at all. The kley is they have to be the Active cables, as most are passive, and thus leads to the flickering. The Active adapters will also work, but I would rather just have the one cable and not worry about the adapters.
Hope this helps for those of you with similar issues

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes