Slow Wifi Fix for Surface Book with Some Routers (Netgear and others)

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Seems to have improved things for me. I was experiencing pages note loading on some sites from time to time unless I refreshed, and now I'm not having that happen.

bhatech

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I observed slow WiFi speed on the Google onhub router, all other devices are super fast but surface book WiFi occasionally slows down and unusable sometimes. May be I'll try this fix.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I observed slow WiFi speed on the Google onhub router, all other devices are super fast but surface book WiFi occasionally slows down and unusable sometimes. May be I'll try this fix.

Now that I've been using it for a while since I did this fix, I can attest to the fact that it has greatly improved my online experiences. The improvement is huge.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
We have 2 routers in our house because we actually have too many devices that need wired LAN. I have an Asus and Apple router. My wireless speed on the Asus was DREADFUL but ok on the Apple. It has improved quite a bit on both with this fix. Thanks.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
We have 2 routers in our house because we actually have too many devices that need wired LAN. I have an Asus and Apple router. My wireless speed on the Asus was DREADFUL but ok on the Apple. It has improved quite a bit on both with this fix. Thanks.
Do yourself a favor and get an inexpensive gigabit switch. Plug everything into it including your two routers. No wired devices on the wireless access points, and position them more strategically for better signal.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ce-pro-4/80a08768-b9d9-46f7-a545-c6d95d6245e8

This made a HUGE difference for my Surface Book with my Netgear Nighthawk X6.

Now my wifi is just as fast as using my external USB dongle. It was crawling before.
Interesting. I researched the explanation in that MS document and it sounds like the problem is the Surface is believing the data its getting is corrupt. The change they recommend drastically reduces the size of packets and is often done so less has to be re-transmitted when there is corruption. That sounds like a problem in the Surface and the change is more of a band-aid. A device should have better performance without making that change.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it should be but it is not faster without the change. Not even close. Once MS fixes the issue, I will change it back.

And at least now I know why I should change it back once it's been fixed. Thank you for further researching that.

Stocklone

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
So it looks like they still haven't fixed the issue yet. When I had the registry entry set to 1, I couldn't stream Netflix or Hulu. I turned it back to 0 again and streaming works perfectly now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes