What would you like to see in an update for the Surface Book?

rsud93

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Not including fixes for bugs and glitches, what would you like to see in the next gen Surface Book?

For me, the main thing keeping me from buying this right now (other than the bugs) is the physical design of it. I love absolutely everything else about it (the high res screen, keyboard, trackpad, tablet functionality), but the aesthetics just aren't for me personally - in my personal opinion, I think the hinge, the gap, the air vents all around the screen, rear camera on the lid (who needs a rear camera on a laptop/tablet anymore?) take away from what could've been a sleek, seamless unibody computer.

I think it would be interesting if Microsoft decided to include 2 processors in the next gen: your standard Intel core processor (plus disgrete graphics) in the keyboard base, and an Intel Atom or M processor in the screen only - this would eliminate the need for air vents in the screen portion (and just use more subtle vents on the base, similar to the MacBooks), lighten the weight of the screen and therefore possibly eliminate the need for a huge hinge/gap, as well as solve the wobbly screen issue. Since it's a laptop first, not a tablet first, I don't see a problem since an Intel Atom can still run desktop software, but users won't need all that power when using it in tablet mode. Of course, this might make the laptop more expensive, and I'm not an engineer or tech guy, so this all may be impossible, but it doesn't hurt to dream, right?

I just hope Microsoft can somehow fix the hinge problem, which for me, is the main thing holding me back from this otherwise perfect machine.

Last edited:

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
So putting an M processor in it and doing away with the dGPU, you would rather it go toward being more of a tablet then a laptop. I prefer having a high powered processor in the tablet. If I wanted a windows tablet, I would go for the surface 4 pro. The design to me sets it apart. I like the design of it. I am hoping the battery in the clipboard will increase in battery life.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mikegriffin84

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Personally I like the hinge and the air vents. The hinge also makes the device nice to carry in your hand compared to thinner more razor like edges. The hinge creates a perfect surface to cradle in your hand when carrying the system. The only two things I would like to see are more battery life in the clipboard and a slightly faster 950m or 960m in the base.

Mikegriffin84

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
No I said that is what I would like to see and in a year or two's time the power of a 950 or 960 could fit in the same form factor. And the clipboard could have had slightly more of the total batteries of the device in the clipboard. The clipboard could have been the same weight as the surface pro 3 or 4 instead of lighter than both with less battery.

zombie0

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see a better dock.

• Support multiple 4K monitors. Presently, only a single 4K monitor is supported by the dock.
  • Debug the connectivity panic cycles where the dock powers USB devices on and off several times before it settles into an equilibrium.
  • Always allow dock-connected USB devices to awaken the device (presently sometimes this doesn't work).
  • Change the connector so that the Surface Book base's mini DisplayPort connector can still be used when docked (for three external monitors?I know, wishful thinking when only one 4K monitor is supported right now).
  • Add two more USB ports.
  • Make the Ethernet port 10 gigabit.

AbsoluteZerow

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I would like a quad core processor, the headphone jack to be moved to the lower left or right of the display, a smaller bezel and more screen while keeping same foot print.

The hinge makes the device stand out and is functional, but I would like to see it be flush because it puts a lot of people off.

Finally, I would like to see replacement keyboard half's that have upgraded dGPUs and battery life. That would definitely make it the ultimate laptop.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes