Beta Intel HD 520 Drivers are out, and they seem to address the random Driver Crashing Issues

frank kirshbaum

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
The beta drivers did help but I was still able to reproduce a Intel Graphics Driver crash by watching Amazon Prime video with the Edge browser in full screen. I remembered having a similar problem with my Razer Blade 14. The solution was to go to the Intel control panel, choose "Display" then change the option under Scaling from "Maintain Display Scaling" to "Maintain Aspect Ratio". It is not yet definitive but since I made this change on the Surface Book I can watch Amazon video and go to sites that would crash the driver without any further problems.

Mick_NYC

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I got a new SP4/i7/256/16 on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the first day they were avilable. It worked well at first, but after installing some updates, the Intel Iris 540 driver crashes constantly, sometimes within 30 seconds of login, but always within a few minutes. The only way I've managed to stabilize it is on a fresh boot, go straight into Device Manager and change the display driver to "Microsoft Basic Display Driver". That driver is stable, but seems to be all software rendering, so frame rate on video is poor, for example.

I've installed the latest available Intel driver (version 4326) but as soon as I use that driver, the crashes continue, so I reverted back to the generic driver. (Unfortunately the generic one doesn't support brightness adjustments; the little brightness meter in the top left of the screen goes up and down accordingly but the light never changes, which is killing my eyes and battery life. This works great under the Intel driver.)

I know many others have seen the display driver crashes when the SP4 goes to sleep, but mine crashes regularly. None of the other fixes I've read have helped me. I think maybe I'm having a different experience than others because it's a new chipset (Iris 540), but unfortunately this is still very, very broken. Any advice is appreciated....

Thanks,
Mick_NYC

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the insight Mick!

I wonder how different the Iris chips are compared to the standard Intel HD. Seems like to be some pretty major issues. You can't role back to standard MS drivers?

JackDiesel14

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
It's been 4 days since I've updated to the Beta drivers and changed the Hosts file for Edge to cut down on ads and I haven't had a crash since. I've done a ton of browsing on websites that used to cause the crash and it hasn't happened. I did them both back to back so I can't tell you if it's because of the changed Host file or the Beta drivers but it worked.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Would you look at that...

The Beta Intel Drivers have the same build number as the newly released MS 12/2/15 Skylake drivers out today :winktongue:

Looks like if we want a preview of Intel fixes for our Surface Books, we look to install the Beta drivers when provided

bbolding75

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the new hardware update addresses the Intel HD Driver errors and blue screens. However, when I fired up Photoshop 2015 CC it aptly told me my video driver couldn't handle Photoshop and 'some features, such as perspective warp, would be disabled.' Then, I was directed to a random FAQ about video card compatability to Adobe products. (??) Is this going to be a permanent thing? Seems like this was a 'patch' temporarily rather than a full-fledged video card driver fix!

Also.. battery drain issues still persist. Hoping they address that next ;)

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the new hardware update addresses the Intel HD Driver errors and blue screens. However, when I fired up Photoshop 2015 CC it aptly told me my video driver couldn't handle Photoshop and 'some features, such as perspective warp, would be disabled.' Then, I was directed to a random FAQ about video card compatability to Adobe products. (??) Is this going to be a permanent thing? Seems like this was a 'patch' temporarily rather than a full-fledged video card driver fix!

Did you try manually changing CC to the dGPU in the Nvidia Control Panel (if you have it)?

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm still running Photoshop CS4, which after the update still runs on the Nvidia GPU... do you have a non-dGPU model?

Donny McCoy

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
To add, as of now, this has fixed my flickering issue. Mine was not the hyper-V fix or highly-graphical web sites. My issues manifested when my Book would go idle after a few minutes. The flicker would disappear upon a keystroke or mouse movement.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I still get the flashing and the message the driver has crashed. I don't get it often but it does happen.

My driver no longer crashes, but I definitely have some odd graphical issues that only seem to occur when the Intel GPU is being used, especially if I've been using my external monitor. It's better than before, but still not totally acceptable.

SC Chow

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not using a Surface Book but is also plagued by the same issues (6th gen Core i3 with 520 graphic). I tried the latest Intel Graphic driver (Non beta) and it seems to work fine so far. The beta version gave me problem when I tried to wake it up from sleep.

PS: Can't post the link but it is in the same page as the other posted link above. Just not the beta version and should have a December 10th release date.

zerospace-net

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
nevermind, the driver wouldnt let me install it, complaining that it is not "validated" for our hardware.

There's an article here on Windows Central explaining how to install these kinds of drivers (must be manually unzipped and installed completely manually via Device Manager). Given that I'm still having issues with the current "validated" Intel driver, I'll just wait for the next official release for the Surface Book.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I still get the flashing and the message the driver has crashed. I don't get it often but it does happen.

I get that once in a while, computer continues to work though.

On the Intel Graphics Control panel, I set to max battery life when on battery, and battery life has noticeably improved. the clipboard is over two hrs, closer to three. i7/512gb model.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Since I am otherwise out of things I can troubleshoot, I decided to update with the Intel drivers. I picked up a periodic screen flash. I may end up rolling back. My version of the Surface Book is the I7/256/8...

JJohnson667

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Greetings. I have a Surface Book, I7, 512GB with the Nvidia dGPU. I initially had some screen flicker though since last update I have not seen this occur again. Unfortunately, I have started to receive a Black Screen of Death, as I have heard some users call it. I will be surfing the web, normally in firefox, and it seems as though if I am scrolling up or down periodically the screen will just die on me and nothing can be done to wake it up except holding the power key down to turn it off and then restart it.

I have tried the download the drivers that you listed and I have tried to update the drivers manually but I keep getting the error that says these drivers are not compatible with the hardware and that I need to find the 64 bit versions (I am using the 64 bit links). I have tried to do this manually as you provided the walk through for but I get the same error.

Any ideas on what I can do to install these drivers? Currently I am running Driver version: 20.19.15.4326 from 11.20.15

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes